2012 panamera 970 PDK issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 PM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 panamera 970 PDK issues

wow
I've owned my P4 all of 3 months and outside of my dealer warranty and I have a Tran Fault code that popped up on the screen and check engine light.
I was backing up in my driveway from a casual drive home and boom, that's when the trans fault light came on. it allowed me to continue with backing in the garage. I turned off the car and back on to see if it was a minor glitch, but no it stayed on. I then put it in reverse to see what would happen; the screen would not display the R at all and wouldn't go in gear. it was acting like it was in Neutral. I put it in drive so the screen would display 2 s it would normally display and it did put the gear wouldn't go forward.
I had it towed to the dealer and now awaiting the results from the diagnoses.
I'm typing this message to see if anyone has encountered anything like this or no what my problem could be.
2012 Panny 4 70,000mi
I used my scanner and pulled 4 codes
P 1583
P 0700
C456
C418
I've been doing some reading and most of my findings are pointing to the Shift Solenoids. What do you think?
Thanks in advanced.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 AM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Ok
Spoke to my service advisor and told me some bad news. The transmission needed to be replaced. It wasn’t the shift solenoids; something had went wrong with the gears inside the trans. He explain that this almost never happens. The repair cost to cover the replacement of the transmission is around $15,000 - $20,000. I am at a lost for words. This is my first Porsche purchase and read that the PDK’s were excellent transmission. I thought I was making a good purchase for my family and this is what I have to deal with. It hasn’t been three months with this car and I have a beautiful black on black Panamera and might I add that black shows the body line so brilliantly; that may end up being traded in for a Honda because of this.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:29 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

If this happened to me, I would have the dealer see if Porsche would reduce the price of the new transmission since this is clearly a defective unit. I wouldn’t put more than 10k into it. I’d sell it as-is otherwise. My guess is someone would buy the car and put in a used transmission so it probably has reasonable value as-is for someone.

There might be a 2 year warranty on the new Porsche transmission. But I understand even if you go the replacement route, the “well has been poisoned”. Tough spot , you have my sympathy.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:12 AM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been talking to the service advisor. He said he will try to work with me. I hoping for the best.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 PM
vkb123
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

I’m so sorry to hear about this! That must really sting and I feel for you. My wife would never let me live this down...hopefully some compassion for your plight! Please keep us posted as to the eventual outcome. Hang in there.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:22 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts

That is a horrible thing to have happen. I have just bought a 2012 Panamera at slightly less milage at 66,000 miles also.

Perhaps you can find a lightly used PDK transmission that has been salvaged at a much cheaper cost than one new from a dealer? One that might even have fewer miles than your existing defunct unit. I had to have the transmission replaced on a V12 Mercedes and a used one was found that was not too expensive and was just as good as the old one.

Keep us updated.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Trading it in for a Honda is a little late for a plan. If you have asked anyone about advise on the purchase of the car you would have been told not to buy one without a warranty. There is another guy on 6speedonline with the same failure. He has 1 post and you only have 3, hum...
Old 03-11-2018, 11:58 AM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

I’m here to see if anyone has had any failures with the PDK and it seems like there aren’t a lot of them if any. I know it’s a little to late for advice on purchasing the car, but I thought I was making a wise decision. I’ve look at aftermarket warranties, but decided to wait a few months due to the fact that I haven’t been to work in over three months because of an illness I’m dealing with.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 PM
cerbomark
Racer

I am not here to make you defend yourself, just saying. You are correct in the fact that it s not a common issue. PDK s have been pretty solid. The PDK issue is that if one goes they are very expensive to replace. Porsche is not a car to own without a warranty. Wait till you read up on the suspension failure costs. Yea those warranties are expensive too. Hope you sort it out and get to enjoy the car. It is a great car you got!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 PM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Thanks for advice on looking at the suspension failures. I’ll definitly look into the Fadelity Warranty. I’ve been told they’re very good to deal with. Hopefully I can get this fix. The car is a great car. Very enjoyable to drive. I just hate the fact that I have this failure at a very early point of my ownership of this car.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM
cerbomark
Racer

I m sure it will be fixed! Just put 450 miles this morning on mine. 7 hours of driviving.......
Old 03-12-2018, 06:00 PM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Wow. I’m jealous.
Mid it the one you have in your profile pic?
i am definitely considering a 911 in my future. I’m In love with the Porsche family for sure. From the childhood days of hanging posters on the wall to now; to have driven one by way of owning it and hopefully getting it fix to buying more in the futeure.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:15 PM
cerbomark
Racer

No, I now drive a Panamera. Sold that 911. Panamera is much more of a long haul highway cruiser. And I use it all winter too.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM
cerbomark
Racer

BTW, all my Porsche s have been CPO cars. When the warranties run out I trade it in. But in six years of these two Porsches I have only had one dealer trip for a failed rear spoiler on the 911. $1300 but covered. So they are reliable and both mine have been under a few thousand miles when I acquired them.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

I believe the PDK failure is rare event. I’ve considered extended warranties and what I’ve read is they work well for lower cost items but my guess is your car would be waiting in shop for a used transmission. The warranties don’t necessarily pay the full labor rate but use an average for your area. Reading the fine print reveals there are many pitfalls.

I hoping Porsche steps up and helps. Replacing the tranny at 70k miles is ridiculous. On a Chevy yes (happen to me) on a Porsche, no.

Quick Reply: 2012 panamera 970 PDK issues