Panamera 2010-Current

2017 PAN4 vs 2018 Tesla 100D?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:16 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2017 PAN4 vs 2018 Tesla 100D?

We currently own 2 Porsches 2014 Cayenne and 2016 PAN4. I am going to give my 2014 Cayenne to my daughter this summer when she goes to Medical school. We are looking for a replacement. We went to Palo Alto to look at Tesla 100D and compared it with 2017 PAN4S. Tesla brought the Tesla S 100D to our home for testing. Oh boy, the car is amazing and incredible driving experience. Tesla 100D is probably the best car I have ever driven. Tesla has outstanding customer service. Porsche dealers around the bay area SF is not even come close to Tesla in this category. We are so blessed to be able to drive from Porsche to Tesla.
I am sold for Tesla 100D. I live in the bay area where I see Tesla S, X and 3 are outnumbered of Porsche. Have anyone of you ever compared Tesla S 100D with Panamera 4S and decided to go with PAN4S? I like hear your opinion. Would you share it with us?

Thank you
Old 01-31-2018, 05:59 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, I understand you VERY WELL.

We also have a 2010 Panamera 4S, and a 2011 Cayenne Turbo. (I even have also an old Boxster S, modified, as track/fun car.)

Had some problems with both, and would say that I have been treated like the worse you can imagine by the "services" of a dealer.
I feel that since VW acquired Porsche, the service in the USA fall down to the level of the VW services, i.e.: for me (we had also a Touareg and a Golf in the family) ..simply the worse you can imagine.
Since dealer have to call PCNA "services" guys to approve some work, I can tell you that the "VW service DNA" clearly fall down into a brand that I really loved in the past (had many 911 as daily, non stop for 30 years, ..before the Panamera). I'm saying that, after the very sad discovery that many former VW services guys have been promoted, to end up at the PCNA Service department, or, the most awful decision that could have been taken ! (Or : how to kill a good brand value in a very fast way.)

Yes, going to Tesla 100D makes a LOT of good sense.

First, for efficiency : If you simply do some physics, you will get things like :
Physics : 1 lit of gas=10 kWh
Or
a 4400 lbs Panamera Turbo that has 23.75 gal tank (897 kWh) to offer 500 mil range
=> 1.84 kWh/mile

a 4730 lbs Tesla S 90D that has 90kWh tank (2.38 gal gas) to offer 300 mil range
=> 0.30 kWh/mile

Yes : an EV = 6x more efficient than an ICEV
and, If the EV efficiency = 90%, then, one more proof than a (good) ICEV efficiency, ..is not better than 15%

(For those that think that an ICE can have a ratio of efficiency of 30%, ..I would say yes, theoretically possible ..if you know how to make such engine without any friction.
But, when you (have to) count all the friction losses in the engine and ancillary equipment, the lost in the friction in the gearbox and powertrain (differentials, etc..) and you are not at the exact temp of max efficiency, neither in the best rpm with the throttle well open, ..then your 30% theorical max ratio, ..is falling far away !)
By the way, if you ask what's happen with the 85% of the energy that do not help to move the car, the answer is quite sad : we only heat the planet with that.
For one car it is not "that bad" (!!!), but we have something like a billion cars that moves here !

By the way,
I'm also clearly convinced that a brand that has (and control) it sales with direct point of sales can ONLY offer advantages to end-users.
In one hand, this is one middle men suppressed, and in the other one, if the service goes bad, the brand get the kick back first, ..not the middle men !!

My current (only) problem is the autonomy and even more, the time to refill.
If you are back home every day, then problem.
But if you travel, you really have to plan your points of arrival VERY accurately, and insure that you will be able to refill.
And, this later point is why I think I may go for one more Panamera (looking for a Turbo, that had a good CPO time, to fully ignore the bad work of dealer service) in order to have one more V8, ..that is really an animal that will extinct very soon !
Then, next gen of EV should have Solid state batteries, that should multiply the range by 3 and divide the refill time by 3 or 4.

I think then, at this point the Electric Vehicles will have put the Internal Combustion Engine Vehicle a total and final K.O.

..my two cents !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 01-31-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:45 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my second Tesla, this one is a P85D, and when my lease is up, I will be switching to an already-ordered '18 Pan 4 E-Hybrid. The Teslas have been a blast to drive and customer service has been excellent. It's just not that special anymore for me - they've become so commonplace where I live - and I'm looking for a change. I'm not a number cruncher seeking every last kw of efficiency. I am looking forward to the significantly higher build quality of the Porsche. On a lighter note, I am sick of my wife complaining about the basic lack of a visor mirror light in the Tesla when she tweaks her makeup on our way to dinner, lol.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

We just took delivery of my wife's 2018 Panamera 4. She considered the Tesla and we test drove one. She liked it, but I didn't care for the interior quality, and surprisingly the car was noisy. I thought maybe the car had snow tires on it, but it didn't. My LS460 is quieter than that car.

Over New Year's we drove up to Quebec and stopped at the service area on 93 in New Hampshire. As we pulled in I saw two Teslas at the charging station. We went inside, used the bathroom facilities, stopped for coffee and a bite to eat. When we left both Teslas were still there being charged. Personally I just could never have the patience to drive one of those cars. I hate when I have to wait for one car at a fuel pump.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My DD is a two year old P90DL. Feel free to ask any questions. I've had relatively no problems with build or issues. Phenomenal DD and will get you used to a smooth fun and user friendly driving experience you won't find elsewhere easily. It's just different from any P even the Panamera which to me feel much heavier (it isn't) and somewhat strained mixing old ICE quirks with new tech. Tesla does not get old and if you're willing to live with the Scandi like minimalist (certainly cheaper but still beautiful) interior then worthy of careful consideration. Last point, it will ruin you for anything but a sports car (which is just different experience).
Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 PM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agreed with you all. well said ... 2018 Tesla S D is the BEST car PERIOD !!! phenomenal car with technology and superb driving ability. Myself, I am an engineer at Intel. Now I understand the Tesla S D and appreciate the genius engineering from Tesla. According to Tesla Owner Advisor, 2017 and up is better build and has more standard features and 8 cameras than the previous years including the P version. That said, 2014 85D is not the same as 2017/2018 75/100D in term of quality and features. Tesla learns to build a better car as they go. LOL ... “the on/off the effect of regenerative braking is something that takes a few days of driving it to get used to. Once you do, you usually will love it.” That is what Tesla Owner advisor told me. There is 3 settings for steering wheel feeling ( Lexus, Porsche and Super car), and smart air suspension with GPS remember where the setting is. My wife keeps scraping the bottom of her Panamera4 on drive-way and parking. No worries with Tesla S D. LOL …
There will be no FREE SUPERCHARGING for 2018 and on starting Feb 1. SAD !!!
Maintenance is easy $2500/4 years. My Porsche maintenance costs me more than that. Even though I do some DIY with Durametric tool. 2017 and + Porsche has authentication with their diagnostic tools. So there is no more Durametric and iCarsoft POR II for Porsche to reset the service interval since we all love to work on the Porsche.
I am going to place my order for Tesla S 75D period ….

Thank You
Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Enjoy. In two years I've never been to a supercharger. I don't travel more than 257 miles a day.

As for engineering, different approach. I've enjoyed P cars my whole adult life and live that engineering approach but it's a different objective function for Tesla. I will like stop somewhere in the 997 or 991.1 generation for my zuffenhausen cars. As the interior becomes more technology driven and the powertrain becomes electric I already have Best of breed with Tesla and wish P well with that. But can't replace a 8000 rpm growl or the Turbo woosh on my other cars. I'll keep that for a while and enjoy both types of engineering.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I
Originally Posted by knowspin
Over New Year's we drove up to Quebec and stopped at the service area on 93 in New Hampshire. As we pulled in I saw two Teslas at the charging station. We went inside, used the bathroom facilities, stopped for coffee and a bite to eat. When we left both Teslas were still there being charged. Personally I just could never have the patience to drive one of those cars. I hate when I have to wait for one car at a fuel pump.
You mean, patience to "charge" one of those cars. After "driving" one, its everything else that needs patience. One of the realities of people sitting at superchargers, is the watts are already paid for, versus home. So, there is a "if you're not in a rush" factor, for those who want to load beyond the first ~130 miles of charge, in 30 minutes, and wait considerably longer if going for a full charge. I never owned, but test drove a PDK Panamera when determining if PDK might be for me with the 911. I don't go 350-400 miles, often. The tesla does its cannon shot, everyone knows about it, but it is the immediacy of acceleration and ability to modulate it, lower cg, etc., that are other virtues. I liked them enough, that it's worth putting up with a touch screen.

Quick Reply: 2017 PAN4 vs 2018 Tesla 100D?