Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

New ‘features’ 2018 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

As I posted in a new thread, the update in March to the Connect app totally fixed all issues I was having, and Porsche Connect now works beautifully.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:30 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=K777;14835851]

Current issue is that it often drops the surround view from the steering wheel programmable button. Frustrating when you want to do a quick check where curbs or lines are in a parking place.

Your post about losing the setting of the programmable button is several months old. Do you still have this problem? We have noticed exactly the same thing, where we would like to set the programmable button to switch on Surround View. (I realize there is a button for Surround View in the overhead console but thought the steering wheel would be easier to find.)

In our case, we set the button, save our settings to the personalized key memory settings, and it seems to work. Sometimes it will work the next time we get in the car, and sometimes the time after that. But before long it's gone. Press the steering wheel button, and the PCM says "No function assigned; would you like to assign one?" or something like that. I cannot see that we're doing anything wrong. It simply feels like a bug.

Does the programmable button work consistently for other people? How do you use it?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

[QUOTE=louver;15092106]
Originally Posted by K777

Current issue is that it often drops the surround view from the steering wheel programmable button. Frustrating when you want to do a quick check where curbs or lines are in a parking place.

Your post about losing the setting of the programmable button is several months old. Do you still have this problem? We have noticed exactly the same thing, where we would like to set the programmable button to switch on Surround View. (I realize there is a button for Surround View in the overhead console but thought the steering wheel would be easier to find.)

In our case, we set the button, save our settings to the personalized key memory settings, and it seems to work. Sometimes it will work the next time we get in the car, and sometimes the time after that. But before long it's gone. Press the steering wheel button, and the PCM says "No function assigned; would you like to assign one?" or something like that. I cannot see that we're doing anything wrong. It simply feels like a bug.

Does the programmable button work consistently for other people? How do you use it?
I use the diamond key on my E-Hybrid for the lift function, as I often have to deal with large speedbumps or big dips in driveways, etc. -- and it works perfectly every time.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 PM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=louver;15092106]
Originally Posted by K777

I use the diamond key for surround view as well, had same issue since December. The car went into service for a power steering failure issue where they changed the power steering module and the wiring harness. I haven't noticed the problem since. It's been working properly for last 2 weeks.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:22 AM
louver
Advanced

[QUOTE=VINK;15092468]
Originally Posted by louver
I use the diamond key for surround view as well, had same issue since December. The car went into service for a power steering failure issue where they changed the power steering module and the wiring harness. I haven't noticed the problem since. It's been working properly for last 2 weeks.
Interesting. I don't see an obvious connection from power steering and wiring harness to the diamond key. Is it possible that your software was updated during that service visit?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:13 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=VINK;15092468]
Originally Posted by louver
Swapped the diamond button for Sports exhaust ( less obvious to the other half that a potential event is on the horizon).
Its never lost that setting.
Mines a October 17 build, never had a service yet, so no update.
edit - it has been in the dealers for the gps issue, maybe they did an update then?

I use the button in the roof for the cameras now, if I need to put cameras on without going into reverse.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 PM
louver
Advanced

[QUOTE=K777;15093782]
Originally Posted by VINK

Swapped the diamond button for Sports exhaust ( less obvious to the other half that a potential event is on the horizon).
Its never lost that setting.
Mines a October 17 build, never had a service yet, so no update.
edit - it has been in the dealers for the gps issue, maybe they did an update then?

I use the button in the roof for the cameras now, if I need to put cameras on without going into reverse.
There are at least three of us who have experienced problems while trying to use the diamond button for Surround View. A couple of people have reported that they use the diamond button without problem for other functions (suspension lift, sports exhaust). I have found no posts on this forum reporting either success with Surround View or failure with any other function assignment. (Except that VINK, having had Surround View problems for a long time, has now been a couple of weeks problem free.)

We are going to assign the button to other functions for a while and see what happens.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=louver;15093647]
Originally Posted by VINK
Interesting. I don't see an obvious connection from power steering and wiring harness to the diamond key. Is it possible that your software was updated during that service visit?
I dont think so! I specifically asked if there was a software update but Porsche doesn't have one for Panamera's yet!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 AM
Billbak
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donfenn
Does anybody else with a new generation Panamera (base powertrain) hear a subtle whirring or ticking noise from behind instrument cluster at about 1800-2500 rpms... I have this issue and the dealer says it is related to the the fuel delivery and injection system.

I agree that some of the PCM and electronics are wonky... There seems to be conflict between the CarPlay, Porsche Connect and Bluetooth functions.
I have the same ticking noise behind the dash. My dealer kept the car for four business days trying to find it and finally concluded it's something to do with the overhead lighting array. They will need it again to actually fix it.

My PCM is beyond wonky. The dealer says it is up to date. All sorts of issues, especially with CarPlay. Love the car otherwise.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 PM
hme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with the diamond button for Surround View. Any other functions work fine with the diamond button.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 AM
louver
Advanced

Default How to report bugs?

Several of us have reported the same problem, i.e., you can configure the diamond button for Surround View and it will work for a while and then it will get un-configured. The diamond button seems to work as advertised for other functions but not for Surround View.

This sounds like a software bug. Does anyone know how to report such issues directly to Porsche? My other car is a Tesla, and there is a handy in-car mechanism for reporting bugs directly to Tesla without going through a service department.

In this case, I reported the problem to the local Porsche service department; and I specifically opined that it was probably a software bug which they could not resolve locally and which they should report up the line. Those were apparently wasted words. The problem was duly noted on the repair order, and the technician duly noted that he could not reproduce the problem. Case closed.

In the meantime, we have decided to use the button to activate high suspension mode rather than Surround View anyway. But it is frustrating to be unable to report bugs. The new Panamera has zillions of lines of software, according to Porsche's own advertising, so of course there will be bugs. But how to report them??
Old 08-15-2018, 01:02 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Shining example of a company that's good at what it does trying (needing) to go into another area, Porsche is very good at making cars, not so much at software, Tesla was founded and run by someone who knows software.

Quick Reply: New ‘features’ 2018 Panamera