Panamera 2010-Current

Advice on this GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Advice on this GTS

I have to make a purchase decision soon. I contacted Porsche of Beachwood and they are willing to ship the car 2000 miles to my place, and also CPO it. It was originally listed as "Used"

2015 GTS - 35K Miles, $ 70K

What do you think? I am somewhat concerned about it having 35K miles - that's on the higher end of my search criteria. I intend to drive 5-8K miles/year.
Also I wanted Sport steering wheel. This has MF. Anyone experienced adding Techart paddle shifters? Some people on 911 forum have done it and found it quite useful
Old 06-23-2018, 07:48 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't be a GTS without the Alcantara interior. For me, the Alcantara takes it to another level, and the fact that it was only available on the GTS trim makes it even more desirable when it comes to holding its value. I just bought a 2015 with 27K Miles, 130K MSRP CPO for 71K. I would pass on that vehicle if I were you.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Steering wheel is expensive. Saw them at Suncoast online. I think you are looking at $2K. Personally the standard wheel is fine. Mine has a wood wheel which isn't my favorite normally. But it looks great and feels great so I'm not changing that !

I just picked up a 2013 S under cpo for $53K with 24K miles. As a data point.

That was right at KBB value. Where does this one sit with respect to KBB value as a cpo ?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:29 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. KBB is showing a price of 65K - interesting it didn't ask me for mileage which has significant impact on price. I like many things about this car including the fact that dealer is open to CPO it, cover shipping 2000 miles away, exterior color and wheel combo.
On the other hand - the cons are higher miles, lack of Alcantara, lack of Sport steering, no PDCC.

Alternatively, at a higher price range, would you rather buy the GTS or TurboS - see the listings below

CPO 2016 GTS, 16K miles, 89K
OR
CPO 2014 TurboS, 23K Miles, 86K

Also see this 2014 Turbo with PDCC - very few miles (12K) and only selling for 72K. Is it too low for an excellent condition car?
Old 06-24-2018, 11:36 AM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rajctt
Thanks for the feedback. KBB is showing a price of 65K - interesting it didn't ask me for mileage which has significant impact on price. I like many things about this car including the fact that dealer is open to CPO it, cover shipping 2000 miles away, exterior color and wheel combo.
On the other hand - the cons are higher miles, lack of Alcantara, lack of Sport steering, no PDCC.

Alternatively, at a higher price range, would you rather buy the GTS or TurboS - see the listings below

CPO 2016 GTS, 16K miles, 89K
OR
CPO 2014 TurboS, 23K Miles, 86K

Also see this 2014 Turbo with PDCC - very few miles (12K) and only selling for 72K. Is it too low for an excellent condition car?
Of the above examples the '14 Turbo with PDCC would be my choice for the best value. It's reasonable well optioned and the condition appears to be very good. Based on the carfax the inservice date appears to be April 2015 which means the car is still under the factory warranty. The car is offered by a independent and is likely not CPO. The price reflects this. Also note the car needs a fresh set of tires. But that is an oppertunity to get a new set of your choice.

Depending on how long you intend to own this vehicle this could be a good opportunity. Porsche Financials offers Porsche Protection Plan products which are extended warranties up to 10 years/100k miles. Shorter duration and miles are available. The deductibles are low ($100 or $250) and the $100 deductible is waived if the car is serviced at the dealer that sold the protection plan. They are transferable. If you shop for a plan they can be had for fairly reasonable money. I purchased a 10 year / 70k mile Platinum $100 deductible plan for my '14 Panamera TTS for about $7k. 100k miles was $600 or $700 more.

My suggestion would be to look at and drive the car in person if possible. Based on the worn tires try to negotiate the price down $2k which would cover the cost of replacing the tires. Then purchase a factory warranty that meets your needs. You will likely end up with a nicer car at lower cost with a longer factory warranty than buying a already CPO car from a Porsche dealer.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:24 PM
c4racer
Pro

I agree with the turbo suggestion as the best value. And definitely get a warranty on it.

My thought is the other newer GTS examples are just too far up the depreciation curve so there is going to be more $ there than on the turbo or the first CPO GTS.

In general I would rather have a GTS. I like NA and the turbo just adds complexity and weight and more potential problems for an extra 60hp. Not worth it. In general.

So I would personally get a GTS over a turbo but I also wouldn't want to pay more than about $70K for one because it's going to be worth under $40K before you know it !
Old 06-24-2018, 01:04 PM
c4racer
Pro

The dealer i bought mine from in Silicon Valley has a 2013 GTS in silver with 37K miles for $56K as a pricing point of reference. Not cpo. You might do better with that car and a $7K warranty than the 2015 CPO with same miles and $10K more on the depreciation curve.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 PM
c4racer
Pro

Ok this is the one I would buy !

2015 with 13K miles and alcantera package in a killer blue for $72K with CPO

http://nationalpreownedporsche.com/2...ic-1883589-599
Old 06-24-2018, 02:46 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

c4racer makes good points about generally preferring the character of a NA engine. That said there is a big difference in hp and torque between the two. The GTS is rated at 440hp and the Turbo at 520. The turbo has a bunch more torque, like 150ft-lbs more. That said the way the na motor builds power through the rev band is very satisfying, even if it is less power. I have driven several different '14 and '15 970 examples: Panamera S (rwd), Panamera 4, Panamera GTS, and Panamera Turbo S. The Panamera S and Panamera 4 were the lightest feeling, The GTS understeered considerably more than the rwd Panamera S. The Turbo S comes standard with PDCC. None of the other cars I drove had PDCC. My Turbo S is the most neutral, least understeering of the bunch due to the torque vectoring of the PDCC. PDCC does an amazing job of compensating for the additional weight of the V8 and AWD present in the GTS and above models. It really changes the handling dynamic of the car. The turn in precision is dramatically improved. Driving the car with PDCC makes me think how can it be possible such a large, heavy car be so precise and crisp on turn in. PDCC and PCCB are two options that once you have them it will be hard to give them up.

If the Turbo example you mentioned above did not have PDCC I would not have recommended it.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:08 PM
c4racer
Pro

Good insight. I haven't driven any model except my V8 rwd S. And I agree it has minor and completely manageable oversteer and feels fairly light on its feet for such a large car. I was thinking the GTS was the same as my car but add 40hp. I forgot about the awd aspect. That adds weight and complexity.

With that additional info it would be hard to argue against that $70K turbo !!
Old 06-24-2018, 03:11 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m awaiting delivery of a ‘13 GTS with 35k, $57k CPO. They had to replace all the brakes, bushings and other small things before I get it. MSRP $121k.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:16 PM
rajctt
Instructor

It's coming down to a handful of choices. This will be wife's car which I plan to drive during weekend. Or better yet if I convince her to take by 2014 CTT, then I can take the Panamera. She will be more than happy with almost any car. Ultimately it comes down to a car that I also feel excited about. We have narrowed the color choices to White Metallic, GT/Rhodium Silver, Carmine Red, Ruby Red (maybe, it looks kinda maroonish and dull).

2015 PTT w/PDCC, 24K Miles, 85K (dealer has already reduced by 5K on first conversation)

CPO 2014 PTTS, thus PDCC is included, 23K Miles, 86K - Ruby Red is kinda dampener as I mentioned earlier. On plus side, this is a TurboS

Non-CPO 2014 PTT w/ PDCC, 12K Miles, 72K - tires need replacement per a comment earlier

CPO 2015 GTS, no PDCC, 35K Miles, 70K including shipping to my place
Old 06-25-2018, 02:33 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Is the VIN -> Porsche build site down? Seems it is undergoing maintenance for several days now. Eg. http://admin.porschedealer.com/repor...AC29994S692391

Additionally, also found 2 picture-perfect GTS. And read up reviews of their dealers which is horrible. Thus staying away from them.

2016 GTS White

2015 GTS Silver
Old 06-25-2018, 02:08 PM
rajctt
Instructor

2014 Turbo with PDCC - 12K Miles going for 72K as discussed previously. I am in touch with dealer who seems quite responsive. The build is 185K. So this car is worth 40% of original value in 4-5 years. Is this normal or too good to be true?

I have also asked him for a PPI report since one was done recently.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:11 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Attached is the report that dealer shared on 2014 Turbo with PDCC. Pretty concerning. for a vehicle with barely 12K miles, rear tires are at 0 mm, vehicle vibrates heavily under braking (needs all 4 brakes), A/C wasn't working fine. Lot of broken stuff on a low mileage vehicle which is abnormal. I am thinking of passing. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2014ptt.pdf (290.2 KB, 75 views)

Quick Reply: Advice on this GTS