Panamera 2010-Current

RPM flutter at steady speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RPM flutter at steady speed

I recently picked up a Panamera Turbo, and noticed an odd behavior.
While driving at a steady speed, I can see the tach needle fluttering a bit. Maybe 25-50 rpm, so not a lot of movement.
I can't imagine this is completely normal, any ideas what's going on before I take the car to the dealer?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting... keep us posted on findings.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 567 Posts

What year is your turbo?

We have found our 2018 Panamera doing some weird electronic things.

Haven’t noticed what you describe - but it does “surge” at low speeds, like backing into or pulling out of a parking space. Gotta be really careful as we don’t want the car to “surge” into something unexpectedly.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine is a 2011.
It's just the tach needle that I see bouncing while at steady speed, the car does not change speed, and there is no jerking, lurching, or any other strange behavior.

I'll update after I have a dealer look at it.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris51080
Mine is a 2011.
It's just the tach needle that I see bouncing while at steady speed, the car does not change speed, and there is no jerking, lurching, or any other strange behavior.

I'll update after I have a dealer look at it.
Thanks

Ours is also doing weird stuff like when we close the trunk (using the button) it stops half way down for no reason. Yesterday it stopped 1/2 way, and then I re-pressed the button and it stopped again about 6” from closing. So I had to open trunk and try again. Second time it closed no issue. The problem is intermittent.

Also sometimes when we turn the dash “key” everything lights up but it doesn’t start. Have to turn the key again. Intermittent problem.

Hubby programmed the “diamond” button as the start/stop defeat - but sometimes even after we press the button to turn off stop/start - the car turns off anyway. Intermittent.

There seem to be electronic gremlins and we are hoping it’s simply a matter of doing an update or refresh. We won’t be bringing it in until March but I’ll report back once they (hopefully) figure it out. We are actually making a LIST of things for them to address as there are several more weird happenings and we figure we won’t remember everything especially since it’s intermittent.

We had a 2015 GTS and it had none of these issues. And was the best sounding car EVER!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:32 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

needmoregarage, as far as your second issue with the key it happens to me once in a while and I then realize I m not down on the brake because I m in a hurry and not paying attention.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cerbomark
needmoregarage, as far as your second issue with the key it happens to me once in a while and I then realize I m not down on the brake because I m in a hurry and not paying attention.
in our case the brake pedal is depressed and accessories go on but otherwise silent. Have to turn off and it always starts 2nd try. Did it to me again today on a cold start but then fired up right away about 4 hours later when I was leaving the event.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Today it decided to stop folding in the mirrors when we lock the car.

Hubby has it configured to always fold in mirrors when locking. Three times in a row we locked the car and mirrors stay out. Twice after unlocking, and another time after we were at a new destination.

Called the dealer. They are making a list. And the trunk did the funky thing stopping half way down again for no reason.

We like the car and hope these gremlins are a matter of a software update or re-boot or something simple.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 PM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've similar problems with my 2018 Panamera 4

1) "All doors Unlock" option doesn't work (looses this setting once the ignition is off)
2) "Mirror fold when lock" option doesn't work (Looses this setting once the ignition is off, means it doesn't work when I step out of the car and lock it)
3) Ignition sometimes doesn't work. got to turn it off/on and it starts
4) Trunk stops halfway when closing (happens sometimes when using the hatch close/lock option)
5) Trunk open foot sensor doesn't work sometimes
6) Transmission is very jerky sometimes in Normal mode
7) Volume mute button both on Steering wheel and on dash doesn't work sometimes
8) Configured the diamond key for Surround View camera and it looses that setting quite often, like every other day
Old 01-24-2018, 04:09 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VINK
I've similar problems with my 2018 Panamera 4

1) "All doors Unlock" option doesn't work (looses this setting once the ignition is off)
2) "Mirror fold when lock" option doesn't work (Looses this setting once the ignition is off, means it doesn't work when I step out of the car and lock it)
3) Ignition sometimes doesn't work. got to turn it off/on and it starts
4) Trunk stops halfway when closing (happens sometimes when using the hatch close/lock option)
5) Trunk open foot sensor doesn't work sometimes
6) Transmission is very jerky sometimes in Normal mode
7) Volume mute button both on Steering wheel and on dash doesn't work sometimes
8) Configured the diamond key for Surround View camera and it looses that setting quite often, like every other day
I have a 2018 4S and when I close the trunk with the button on the left, it closes but when I close the trunk using the right button, it stops halfway. Transmission is very jerky in sports and sports plus but seem to be fine in normal mode. I don't seem to have rest of the problems but I have problems with the dash screens. It turns black whenever I get a call and starts flickering.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checking - when you say closing trunk with button, you mean the one on the trunk itself? Unlike other cars, I've not found a way of closing the trunk with the key or from the driver's seat (annoying!).
Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Just checking - when you say closing trunk with button, you mean the one on the trunk itself? Unlike other cars, I've not found a way of closing the trunk with the key or from the driver's seat (annoying!).
I mean the button on the trunk itself at the rear liftgate. In our case it stops half way whether using the close/lock button or the close button.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:06 AM
HP41
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On closing the trunk -- on the 2014-2016 models, if you hold the truck raise button on the drivers door panel the hatch will close. You have to hold the button until the hatch fully closes (it's not auto close). I would expect the new model to behave in the same manner.

Regards,

Chuck
14 Panamera 4S
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 PM
VINK
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Trunk can be closed from the drivers seat but I've to hold the button till is closes.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 PM
VINK
Instructor

Originally Posted by crack3rd
I have a 2018 4S and when I close the trunk with the button on the left, it closes but when I close the trunk using the right button, it stops halfway. Transmission is very jerky in sports and sports plus but seem to be fine in normal mode. I don't seem to have rest of the problems but I have problems with the dash screens. It turns black whenever I get a call and starts flickering.
I've the same problem with right button on the trunk, stops half way. press it again and it closes. Transmission is jerky sometimes in normal mode. I don't have any problems with the screens, SO FAR I also sometimes hear thumping sound from the front left suspension. it feels/sounds odd.

Quick Reply: RPM flutter at steady speed