Fixed water leak passenger footwell - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Fixed water leak passenger footwell

Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Big_Tex
User

Default Fixed water leak passenger footwell

Wanted to share my experience with a leak in my new-to-me 2010 S. Water was dribbling on to the passenger floor mat when subjected to a car wash. I assumed the problem was like lots of Cayennes that had leaf-clogged sunroof drains, but that wasn't it. I removed all the plastic around the wipers and some of the equipment up against the firewall, and found dirty but not seriously clogged drain grommets.

What I found was that the cabin air intake tube, the big plastic housing on the passenger side, was not properly seated against the firewall. The two upper bolts were fine but the lower side was not. Upon removal (which was quite difficult) I found the real problem - the lower section of the tube attaches with two clamps from the inside of the tube. This means the clamps cannot physically be secured with the housing up against the firewall.

Are you supposed to remove everything inside the cabin so that you can reach through to clamp this on? Tiny minions that can crawl in the intake? There is either some trick that I am missing (clearly possible - I do not have a service manual) or breathtakingly bad engineering. I did some re-engineering so I am good, but I'm curious if anyone else has dug in to this.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:35 PM
dudecs
User

Thanks for the post.

Do you have the "cowl grille" on the passenger side (see diagram below, part #4). This part number is for 2013+ and not sure if it is applicable for your 2010. The cowl grille will catch the larger debris and minimize clogging the drain in the future. This part was added to more recent models to address the problem that you encountered.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Big_Tex
User

I have a grilled cover there, looks a little different from the later models. But again, my problem turned out not to be debris clogging the drains.