Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera New Buyer Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 11:17 AM
jamiepstewart
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Panamera New Buyer Questions...

I have a Panamera itch that I want to scratch... I've been looking at 2010-2013 Pan 4S and GTSs... This is not my primary, but more of a fun car that has presence and highly functional. I have narrowed down my search to a 2010 4S, 42K miles... highly optioned, including PDCC... decent price etc... The question is, are they a money pit? My assumption is that they are very similar to the Cayennes in almost every way - which I think are pretty reliable and require typical maintenance. Are early generation Pans notoriously prone to suspension failures, camshaft problems, etc etc? Any help is def appreciated. I enjoy working on my cars, so I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty and keeping on top of maintenance. I am also very familiar with Porsches and their quirks.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:11 PM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 114 Posts

I bought a high mileage 2013 year model NA V-8 S model last summer. So far it's been cheap. It had over 100K miles, but a good service history. I replaced a right outside mirror motor which I did myself in 5 minutes for a cost of $110.

So far I haven't detected anything that is threatening to fail and I don't drive it all that much, so it will last me for years without piling up much more mileage. Of course, who knows when I'll find it sagging on one corner because the pneumatic suspension has failed. I can fix that too, but if you can't, expect to pay someone a lot of money to repair it. I changed the differential lube which wasn't a bad job at all. Same goes for the engine air filter I changed. The part is more expensive than that for a Chevy but it's HUGE and won't need changing until well after I die. Unfortunately step one is to remove the front end and headlights. Again, it isn't hard, but it takes a lot of time even for an experienced Porsche mechanic simply because there are so many fasteners. Consequently, the dealer will charge you a lot of money to do a simple (but time consuming) job.

So if you're comfortable with doing some stuff yourself, normal ownership is really pretty cheap. But when something really serious happens, you may have to rob a liquor store to pay for the repair bill. Said another way, it isn't a "money pit" in the sense that things are going bad all the time. But it is a fancy car and like all fancy cars, there is the possibility of facing an expensive repair bill. But it's only a possibility. Judging from the history of my car, nothing serious has failed.

But what is more important is that the car is absolutely fantastic. It has plenty of performance and handles better than most "sports cars" and in spite of being big and heavy, it is truly a lot of fun to drive. To go with all that performance and driving fun, it is dripping with luxury. What other performance car has electrically adjustable heated rear seats with individual air conditioning zones and roll up privacy curtains to keep prying eyes off of your rear seat passengers. Queen Elizabeth's RR is not as fancy as the Panamera unless you put a premium on a crystal bud vase which is about the only thing my Panamera doesn't have.

Get one. You'll like it.
The following users liked this post:
DogWood (01-04-2021)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:55 AM
porschepanamera1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello,

I saw that you guys were talking about the camshaft aluminum bolts I know there was a recall in the USA and China but in Europe, there was not i don't understand this I just got my car after 5 years and I do not know what to do with this situation can somebody help me or give me some advice?

https://rennlist.com/forums/new-memb...-disaster.html

Quick Reply: Panamera New Buyer Questions...