Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Donuts in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Donuts in the snow

Like Patrick said on the HP, there are plenty of owners who'd never think of doing this with their Porsche, but it sure looks like fun!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:56 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I m in the NY snowbelt and play around with mine like that!! It s a fun car in the snow. During normal driving very secure and steady even with all season tires only. I often leave the Subaru s home and take the Porsche in bad weather which you think would be the opposite , LOL.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cerbomark
I m in the NY snowbelt and play around with mine like that!! It s a fun car in the snow. During normal driving very secure and steady even with all season tires only. I often leave the Subaru s home and take the Porsche in bad weather which you think would be the opposite , LOL.
Ha ha—that's totally the reverse of what you'd think! Glad you actually take advantage of the snow!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:36 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

We haven't had too much snow yet here in CO, but Vail Pass had enough snow yesterday to finally check out the new snow tires. This car drives great in the snow - I can't wait to test it under more adverse winter conditions.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 PM
shattuck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too live in Colorado. I put Michelin Aplins on and I am totally impressed. Great winter tire for Colorado where we have summer like spells throughout the winter and then can get weeks of icy cold.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM
hueydumps
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CowboyRoy
I would have thought that the exhaust in that video would be louder. Was it equipped with sport exhaust.
No sport exhaust - it would have round tips if so, these are trapezoid.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shattuck
I too live in Colorado. I put Michelin Aplins on and I am totally impressed. Great winter tire for Colorado where we have summer like spells throughout the winter and then can get weeks of icy cold.
I just put on some Michelin Alpins and I'm thoroughly impressed so far. On dry roads they feel like a summer tire. I thought the dealer screwed up and put the wrong tire as I pulled out. There's no "spongy" feeling you get with a typical winter tire. On snow and ice they've been really good so far.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:28 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_PPTT
I just put on some Michelin Alpins and I'm thoroughly impressed so far. On dry roads they feel like a summer tire. I thought the dealer screwed up and put the wrong tire as I pulled out. There's no "spongy" feeling you get with a typical winter tire. On snow and ice they've been really good so far.
Yep, I have the same tires and agree they are very good so far. Up and over Vail pass again last night in snow and no issues whatsoever - not even able to engage traction control under normal driving, even when changing lanes and going over slush in the road. It will be interesting to see how well they do in deeper snow.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Reminds me of my snow runs in my 997 C4. I got more strange looks than you could imagine, but I never got stuck. The problem was always getting the snow off the wheels when I was done. The equivalent of driving on unbalanced wheels. Thump, thump. 20 mph max until they were cleaned off entirely.
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2021, 12:35 PM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah with snows YOU will be fine, total confidence but don't forget about the exacerbated EXERNAL idiotry out there. I used to do the daily driving thing but the problem and headache arises from factors beyond your control. I'd rather have a dedicated beater to avoid that and peace of mind.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:17 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Seeing mb1's post reminded me of this scene.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:48 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by knowspin
Seeing mb1's post reminded me of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYZzxZh4E8g
On point and classic!
Old 10-29-2021, 10:25 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

1. Glad you deployed that spoiler first
2. Can't wait for the snow to come, that's why I got an S RWD It's gonna be fun with that big booty

Quick Reply: Donuts in the snow