Fire caused by impact

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 01:42 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fire caused by impact

Wife's Panamera got hit in the right front quarter panel by an SUV. 90 degree impact from the right, in the middle of an intersection. Fire started almost immediately from underneath the hood; eventually spread to the windshield and over the top to the roof. Windshield shattered due to heat, not the impact.

From the damage caused by the impact, the one would have to say that the SUV was traveling at a high rate of speed. Passenger side airbags probably would have deployed if a passenger had been detected. Unfortunately, I got to the scene after the firefighters had already put out the fire and were keeping me from looking under the hood. In fact they said that cars that catch fire have a tendency to re-ignite later, so... hands off.

Anyway, all I know is that they said that anything under the hood that's made of plastic or rubber is toast, but the engine block is still intact. Car is now at city lot awaiting insurance adjuster, so I'm trying to figure out how the fire started without being able to look under the hood. Fuel pump? Any ideas?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I am glad everyone is ok and I hope they total this car
Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Hope your wife is 100% A-OK.

Probably another flammable liquid in that area. I suspect something like either brake fluid or power steering fluid.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:28 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Please keep us posted on findings. Thank God, no one was in the passenger seat.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:30 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wife is slowly remembering more details. She said that it started to smoke before the fire ignited, so it more likely started from an oil, brake or steering fluid rupture, not fuel. Adjusters in Texas are very busy due to the impact of Hurricane Harvey, but hoping to hear something in the next week. I'm also thinking that the fire effectively breached the firewall by going through the windshield, which should improve the odds of it being a total loss. Not to mention fire retardant being sprayed all over the inside of the car.

Quick Reply: Fire caused by impact