Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Turbo - Grease on Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:45 AM
sgetsiv
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Panamera Turbo - Grease on Rotors

I recently acquired a gorgeous 2012 Panamera Turbo - Black on Black. As I was washing it this evening I noticed an odd sheen on the front rotors. The outside surface of the front rotors on both left and right sides had a layer of grease - thick and a bit sticky. Inside of front rotors is totally dry and both sides of rear rotors are dry as well.

I have driven the car almost 1000 miles since I got it 3 weeks ago and have not noticed any issues whatsoever; maybe just a touch of brake squeal at low speed.

I wiped down the rotors with wax & grease remover so we'll see if it comes back. Any ideas on how the rotors could have grease on them?

It was the same on both sides of the car but just the outside surface of the rotors. Very strange.

Any feedback appreciated! Thank you.

Steve Getsiv
Panamera Turbo '12
Old 08-18-2017, 03:55 AM
sgetsiv
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a photo of the new member of the family...

2012 Panamera Turbo
Old 08-18-2017, 07:30 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgetsiv
Here's a photo of the new member of the family...

2012 Panamera Turbo
no idea on the rotors, but nice car!
Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had grease on the rotors, you most likely have grease on those outside pads and I would doubt that they are effective anymore.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:12 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^this
Old 08-19-2017, 09:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by sgetsiv
I recently acquired a gorgeous 2012 Panamera Turbo - Black on Black. As I was washing it this evening I noticed an odd sheen on the front rotors. The outside surface of the front rotors on both left and right sides had a layer of grease - thick and a bit sticky. Inside of front rotors is totally dry and both sides of rear rotors are dry as well.

I have driven the car almost 1000 miles since I got it 3 weeks ago and have not noticed any issues whatsoever; maybe just a touch of brake squeal at low speed.

I wiped down the rotors with wax & grease remover so we'll see if it comes back. Any ideas on how the rotors could have grease on them?

It was the same on both sides of the car but just the outside surface of the rotors. Very strange.

Any feedback appreciated! Thank you.

Steve Getsiv
Panamera Turbo '12
Thick and a bit sticky and only on the outside sounds like anti-seize or some other grease applied on the hub splattered out onto the rotor. Sometimes it happens. I'd take the wheels off, wipe everything off with a rug or paper towel, including the contact area of the brake pad (probably don't even need to take a caliper off for that), and watch if that comes back in the next 1-2 weeks.

If it comes back, it could be a number of other things, which require a mechanic. Also, just in case check the brake fluid level - if it's low, take it to a mechanic ASAP.

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo - Grease on Rotors