Panamera 2010-Current

970 Panamera 4S Suspension Problems Wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM
pandamera
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 970 Panamera 4S Suspension Problems Wobbling

Hi all...new owner of a 2010 Panamera 4S with air suspension. Bought the car from Carmax with extended warranty. The car wobbles side to side when it hits a bump or any imperfection on the road; this is especially the case when the rear wheels hit something. On the highway, it feels like you're driving on a grated bridge or something - constant swaying but not bad since the freeway is much smoother.

Took it to a Porsche dealer who said no issues with the suspension. Had wheels and wheel bearings checked. One wheel was bent and wheel bearing was bad. Both were replaced with no improvement on the wobbling. Other than that, they couldn't figure out the problem. Carmax Service is of course clueless - car is covered under warranty so i'm not worried just want to find out how to resolve it.

Appreciate it if anyone who's had this problem can provide feedback or just weigh in on what a good next step would be to resolve this?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:42 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

alignment check for sure... I would assume the tires are good and not some cheap no name brand.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:46 PM
pandamera
Intermediate

Yes, tires are Michelin Pilot Sports which I believe were standard issue for the 20" Turbo II wheels that I have. Tires have a lot of tread but they do have very slight cupping - not sure if that's enough to pull the car left and right the way they do.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought you might indicate tires are not that great. I would do alignment and tires if nothing else is broken.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 PM
pandamera
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cerbomark
I thought you might indicate tires are not that great. I would do alignment and tires if nothing else is broken.
Update: Porsche looked at suspension again and finding nothing, they said the last big item of question were the tires. Convinced CarMax to replace all 4 tires and so far the problem seems to have gone away!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:20 PM
HP41
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have been suffering from "tramlining". My MB SLK320 suffered from it severely when my old Michelin PS3's were fairly worn. Good article here if you are not familiar with the term.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=47

Regards,

Chuck

'14 Panamera 4S
Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 PM
pandamera
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HP41
You may have been suffering from "tramlining". My MB SLK320 suffered from it severely when my old Michelin PS3's were fairly worn. Good article here if you are not familiar with the term.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=47

Regards,

Chuck

'14 Panamera 4S
Nice. Thanks all...really fell into the trap of overthinking the problem when signs were pointing to the tires being a problem all along.

Quick Reply: 970 Panamera 4S Suspension Problems Wobbling