Notices

Interesting paradigm shift.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016 | 09:37 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Default Interesting paradigm shift.

Stay with me here but the new driver's car had me thinking about picking up a mustang as a tertiary car and unemployed at the moment gives me too much time on my hands between honey do's.

Here is a C&D Write up: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ank-v-8-page-2

Interesting to me in addition to the trick suspension and brakes is the engine. Ford went with a Ferrari inspired flat crank. One thing this means is peak torque at almost 5K RPM. This is unlike any previous muscle car let alone mustang. This is also the same crescendo experience you get with the 991.1. In the article it described the best driving experiences of the "old days" like the high revving Porsche and M cars before [ruined by] turbos.

Another aspect worth noting is that the 991.1 won best driver's car 2 years consecutively. This year the 991.2 came in 3rd to a torqueless, high revving engine that was stated to give an orgasmic experience and that the crescendo to the redline was a lost art.

Proof that 991.1 > 991.2

Poking the bear with that last comment... but really do think it's interesting and wonder if Porsche will keep some naturally aspirated engines in the lineup.
Old 09-26-2016 | 10:50 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Man, stay away from C&D. The next thing you know, you'll be drinking....beer! Ha! J/K.

IMHO, the Mustang is developing into a nice car in its own right. But before you put good money down, drive one back to back with your favorite P car for comparison. If you believe that C&D has proven that the 991.1 is the apotheosis of sports cars, maybe scoring one of those should be the target.

Hope you have good luck soon re employment.
Old 09-26-2016 | 10:55 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Man, stay away from C&D. The next thing you know, you'll be drinking....beer! Ha! J/K.

IMHO, the Mustang is developing into a nice car in its own right. But before you put good money down, drive one back to back with your favorite P car for comparison. If you believe that C&D has proven that the 991.1 is the apotheosis of sports cars, maybe scoring one of those should be the target.

Hope you have good luck soon re employment.
points taken. The issue with the media is that they no longer report facts but rather report how society should feel about the version of facts they show in order to get the most ratings.

991.1 the apotheosis ... Not likely but still legendary. Apotheosis likely has like 200hp and weighs less than a ton but even then it's objective.

I do think the design of this car does take a lot of philosophy that Porsche used to make a high revving NA motor great. Even some parallels around weak steering...
Old 09-26-2016 | 12:00 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The issue with the media is that they no longer report facts but rather report how society should feel about the version of facts they show in order to get the most ratings.
So true! That's the "Fox News" approach to journalism! Always striving to be the first to say "told you so!" without actually conveying the facts. I think I saw somewhere a study comparing viewers of News brands that showed that those who watched Fox news on a daily basis actually knew LESS facts about what was going on in the world than people who didn't watch the news AT ALL! LOL
Old 09-26-2016 | 12:10 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Stay with me here but the new driver's car had me thinking about picking up a mustang as a tertiary car and unemployed at the moment gives me too much time on my hands between honey do's.

Here is a C&D Write up: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ank-v-8-page-2

Interesting to me in addition to the trick suspension and brakes is the engine. Ford went with a Ferrari inspired flat crank. One thing this means is peak torque at almost 5K RPM. This is unlike any previous muscle car let alone mustang. This is also the same crescendo experience you get with the 991.1. In the article it described the best driving experiences of the "old days" like the high revving Porsche and M cars before [ruined by] turbos.

Another aspect worth noting is that the 991.1 won best driver's car 2 years consecutively. This year the 991.2 came in 3rd to a torqueless, high revving engine that was stated to give an orgasmic experience and that the crescendo to the redline was a lost art.

Proof that 991.1 > 991.2

Poking the bear with that last comment... but really do think it's interesting and wonder if Porsche will keep some naturally aspirated engines in the lineup.
I have been seriously considering picking-up a 350R as a stable toy after driving a "plain old" GT350. Loved it for the NA and MT aural / sensory experience.... Not based on price or anything like quality materials (yeah, the 100% CF wheels are very cool...). And man when you "build-your-own" the price just seems like such a bargain -- fully optioned 350R for less than $69k? Whoa I'll take 2! But try finding an allocation for the "R" version. And when you do, the Ford dealers are raping you for another 30-40K+ for the privilege of owning a Ford. Even used '15 "R"s are still going for nearly $100k when the MSRP was like $68k. And the "base" 350 version isn't much better with dealers trying to wring another 20-30K or more out of anyone who wants one!
Old 09-26-2016 | 12:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by plenum
So true! That's the "Fox News" approach to journalism! Always striving to be the first to say "told you so!" without actually conveying the facts. I think I saw somewhere a study comparing viewers of News brands that showed that those who watched Fox news on a daily basis actually knew LESS facts about what was going on in the world than people who didn't watch the news AT ALL! LOL
It's not just Fox. They aren't any worse than NBC, CBS or even the Communist News Network. The Washington Post is even jaded.

It's kind of like my crazy ex wife (certifiably crazy and not conjecture).... she would go from therapist to therapist until she found someone that told her what she wanted to hear.

I've also consulted companies and CEO's that really wanted someone to come in and say they were doing everything right in order to get a stroke to their ego.

News channels are polarizing to one side or the other without a moderate middle... why? RATINGS. Each of us gravitate to the side that caters closest to our beliefs and without fact checking we become a people of koolaid drinking sheep...

Back on Topic... A mustake will never replace the spot in my heart that was stolen by porsche. I often recommend that people don't drive a Porsche... because they will HAVE to have one and once you own one I think most people will HAVE to have one. It's not just for a fortunate demographic either... Boxsters and Caymans are coming down. 996's are cheap right now and even a 924/944 can be had well sorted and loved for 5 to 10K!

My favorite rental car is a 4 cyl mustang... and it's interesting to see mustang go where Porsche was. If the GT gets some of this tech in a couple years then it will be a compelling car.

I like the old schoolness... hell, I'm even scheming about how I can convince my wife to let me get an abbington edition MG (MG's Singer/Porsche - eagle/Jag).
Old 09-26-2016 | 12:28 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

What is worse:

A. Believing the bogus study
B. Citing it in a public forum

"LOL" indeed...

Edit to add: All mainstream news outlets are a joke
Old 09-26-2016 | 12:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
What is worse:

A. Believing the bogus study
B. Citing it in a public forum

"LOL" indeed...

Edit to add: All mainstream news outlets are a joke
Except the ones about Obama being the result of an alien abduction, mind melt and replacement by an alien cloned as a human. Hilary's the same they just went with cheaper, offshore programmers for her.

Those news outlets are forreal. I heard it from Rush.
Old 09-26-2016 | 12:42 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Old 09-26-2016 | 12:51 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Except the ones about Obama being the result of an alien abduction, mind melt and replacement by an alien cloned as a human. Hilary's the same they just went with cheaper, offshore programmers for her.

Those news outlets are forreal. I heard it from Rush.
I have a couple Econ degrees and will still occasionally look at data straight from the Fed; the way news outlets spin data to fit their narrative is INSANE. "Journalism" has been dead for a long time, and the best/worst part is that 99% of people do not care.

Oh well, back to less controversial topics like 991.1 v 991.2
Old 09-26-2016 | 12:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
I have a couple Econ degrees and will still occasionally look at data straight from the Fed; the way news outlets spin data to fit their narrative is INSANE. "Journalism" has been dead for a long time, and the best/worst part is that 99% of people do not care.

Oh well, back to less controversial topics like 991.1 v 991.2
We all know deep down that the 991.1 is the last real 911... Until the 992 comes out. Then we'll point to the advances and say the 991.2 was the best. Just go back and read the 997.2 posts when the 991 came out. It is the cycle that happens every new car.

I'm in the pro 991.1 camp

The breakthroughs in the mustake prove the formula.
Old 09-26-2016 | 10:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's the approach of ALL media.
Old 09-26-2016 | 11:05 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Just go back and read the 997.2 posts when the 991 came out. It is the cycle that happens every new car.
Or go read how everybody was bashing the 993 as soon as the 996 came out...

Oh, wait...

Old 09-26-2016 | 11:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

It's just sad that most American car companies wrap such ****ty cars around such great power plants. After looking at Mustangs, I couldn't bring myself to even buy one for my son. They're just so poorly engineering and finished. I'm sure the GT350 is a beast, but it's still a crappy Ford.
Old 09-27-2016 | 12:44 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Got to take a short spin in a 350R at Sebring. I was very impressed especially all the unique parts for the $$$. If I could buy one for MSRP I would seriously consider one for a part time track/DE toy but that will not happen.

Quick Reply: Interesting paradigm shift.