Notices

Anyone own a newer Corvette? 2015-2017

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:34 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone own a newer Corvette? 2015-2017

It's getting more difficult to ignore the 2017 Corvette. It seems I could probably pick one up brand new for under $59k with all the options I want including the performance data recorder.

455 HP
460 Torque
29 mpg
3,200 lbs

Does anyone own a newer corvette with an opinion? I think I will go look at them in person today. I've never been a "corvette guy" but I did own a 2002 for six months and was impressed with the raw speed. For the same money I could probably get a nice 2010 - 2011 911.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an 07 so not a c7 but a c6. Compared to my c4s I find the Porsche handles way better, rides smoother and is more comfortable. The vette won in raw sledgehammer like performance.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:53 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

I drove a C7 for a day. It is very fast, handles very well and is completely and utterly without soul. There is a total lack of drama. I am sure it is faster than my C4S, smother and quieter, but it was not nearly as fun.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:03 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check you're AARP membership they have hefty discounts for Corvette owners
Old 09-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've driven several C7's over the past couple years and on multiple occasions I've had those cars for many days at a time. I logged quite a few miles in them. I honestly feel the C7 is a great car and truly the best vette yet...especially for the money.

However, I share the opinion mentioned above that the car is soulless. Personally, I feel the car lacks soul because of the engine (which mind you...I'm an LS fan, but, it doesn't 'feel' right in the C7). Don't get me wrong, the new LT1 is powerful and gets the job done but, it just doesn't inspire you when you are driving the car. The engine is a hammer when you want a scalpel.

Mike

Last edited by Rdrcr; 09-10-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Wait for the mid engined C8 Corvette out next year as a 2019. Maybe Porsche will notice and up the game on the 4 banger 718 Boxster- ugh
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...0-degree-glory
Old 09-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^^
That could be a game-changer. I already came pretty close to buying a C7 myself.

Mike
Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It will be an NSX for a Boxster 4 cylinder price.(rumour!)Yup they are talking about a hybrid option.
Amusingly when Forum members here did 4cyl Subie turbo engine swaps into Boxsters, they were ridiculed by purists.Now, not so much. But if the "Emperor" C8/Zora is as impressive as the C7 was ,it will shock the market.Let's see.......
Old 09-11-2016, 12:19 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The last Corvette I liked the looks of is the C6. The C7 styling seems like it was done on a computer by a group of gamers, and the tail end screams Pontiac to me. I like what they did with the dash though. As for the driving experience, I don't know about the automatic because I haven't and wouldn't drive one, but the clutch and shifting in the Vette feels truck-like by comparison to my 911. And they say the overall dimensions are close to a 911, but it sure felt huge to me, what with the long nose. I also happen to appreciate the back seats in a 911, cramped as they are they've saved the day numerous times.

That said if I was buying new I'd go for a Vette over a 911 because the 991's are just ghastly expensive. But I'd take a used 911 any day for the same money as a new Vette.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:57 AM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbor has a Z51, LT3 Stingray. I drove it many times and he calls me over to address many tech issues as he isn't a hands on car guy. I can tell you the build quality is deplorable compared to a Porsche. The paint itself is so bad that it reminds me of a Z28 20 years ago. After 2k miles he already has rattles. Electric gremlins come and go and the dealer can't duplicate the problem. I have owned 2 new Corvettes in the 1980s and the new Vette still has the same quality issues. The sad fact is the Z06 still has the same build quality. I test drove one and it is a rocket but could never live with the build quality.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:44 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Back from the Chevrolet dealer....ugh...where do I begin. I don't know if there's much value discussing the experience with the sales staff since I would be purchasing a car not the sales staff, but the one word to sum it all up is "bumbling." (confused and incompetent) And this guy was probably in his 50's. He knew nothing, nothing, about corvettes. He did not know how to open the hood. When I look at Porsches I go to Porsche of the Main Line (Phila. PA). The difference in the customer experience is astounding. Which might not be entirely fair since Porsche of the Main Line is probably the best run car dealership within 1000 miles.

On to the car. The interior is nice. Porsche is better. The plastic dash of the vette, especially the flat areas between buttons, still looks cheap to me. But it's decent. Not a deal breaker. There are two bright, colorful, flashy LCD style screens. They're okay. The seats are good, Porsche is better. I feel more "boxed in" in the Corvette and the visibility was not as good as Porsche.

The outside. We all know what the outside looks like. I don't know why but when all is said and done the outside is just a little "too much" for me. I want to like it, but there are a lot lines and angles, too many edges? I guess I must like a smoother exterior.

The doors, hatch back, and hood are all extremely light, almost shockingly so. Is that bad? I don't know. Maybe I should be impressed how light they were.

You're probably wondering how the car drove. Well so am I. I couldn't drive it because of a recall problem that needed to be addressed. Something about a software update for the airbag. This was a 2017, just delivered, and not yet out in the showroom. Here's how that information was communicated. I walk into the showroom and was promptly greeted. "I'd like to speak with a sales person about a new corvette." guy - "Sure no problem let me see who's available" We walk over to "Charlie" "Hi Charlie, I'd like to look at a new corvette." Charlie "I don't know if we have any new corvettes." Charlie yells to the back "Hey, Dave we have any new corvettes." Dave "Yes but you can't drive them because of the recall." Charlie "I guess we do have a new one. But you can't drive it because of the recall." "No problem, I'll just look at it." Charlie proceeds to show me a 2016 convertible ("because they're basically the same"). "I'm not interested in buying a convertible, I would like to see the car in the configuration I would purchase, a coupe." Charlie - "Oh, okay, sure we can look at a coupe."

"Can we open the hood?" Two phone calls later the hood is open. He had to call two different people to find the hood release. (granted it was fairly hidden and flush under the dash with no marking, but it's ya know the guys job)

Anyway, I'm not buying a corvette.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:58 AM
TAGPorsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem is you are walking into a Chevy dealership. Not a " Corvette dealership".
Old 09-11-2016, 11:07 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey now. I recently went to a Chevy dealership to look at a used E-class vert. The salesperson knew all about it and was very enthusiastic.

On a more serious note, GM products still strike me as made with lots of brainpower first and then overruled by amateurs who are for some reason is charge. The "too many edges" is not harmless. A professional designer has been overruled by a guy with a tie who wants more flash. Cost-cutting is done in areas where the educated customer notices - but the guy in the tie did not.

Then there is a lack of generation-to-generation and model-to-model (not applicable to Corvette, obviously) consistency that the German brands have down. All new parts for everything.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:18 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

this should be in OT. It has literally nothing to do with 996s.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:20 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Wait for the mid engined C8 Corvette out next year as a 2019.
Do you know how many DECADES car magazines have been predicting a mid-engined Corvette? So is it finally "for real"? I don't follow them.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a newer Corvette? 2015-2017