Notices

OT: Any Audi A7 Owners here? Advice Please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015 | 11:23 PM
nicoff
Racer

Default OT: Any Audi A7 Owners here? Advice Please...

I am going to replace my Lexus LX570 SUV. Saw the 2016 model but the exterior redesign is not to my liking. So I went to the Audi dealer to check out the new Q7 and the A7 caught my eye. Since I no longer need the third row of seats the A7 might be an option.
Anyone here owns/owned the Audi A7? If so, would you mind sharing your experience?
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2015 | 01:03 AM
sandbar
Instructor

I have a 2016 A7. Bought it about 4 weeks ago, but still under 400 miles. Traded in our Jag XJ for it.

Smooth ride, quite, effortless steering but I hate the pop up screen. Still too new to the car to give you any real feedback, but so far, I have nothing but great things to say about it. Now that winter is upon us, ill be putting up the p-car and driving the A7 to work!
Old 12-07-2015 | 10:10 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

I had a 2014 A6. Same car, just different body and more money for the A7. I think 2016 is a facelift year on the car and the MMI is upgraded. It needs to be.

As sandbar said, very smooth, light steering, the pop-up screen didn't bother me except on those occasions when it didn't work. I kept the car for a year, about 13K miles and in that time I had multiple failures of the car to recognize either key fob which the dealer couldn't replicate and didn't even try to fix, slow MMI performance, stupid MMI issues (disabled the volume, wouldn't change stations, unresponsive, wouldn't dial phone calls - it received calls fine, I just couldn't make them on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which had no issues in the Porsche or BMW) gas door wouldn't unlock once, and some very annoying transmission behavior when cold. Understeer is horrendous if you drive aggressively and the brakes are not as good as a BMW or Porsche. But to knock out the miles on the Interstate, in a straight line it was great and I got excellent mileage out of the supercharged V6. It was also nice to have a spare tire.

The wife hated it when I bought it. Then she had to borrow it for a week. Her reaction:

Day 1: I hate this car
Day 2: That car is a rocket!
Day 3: You're not getting it back.
Day 4: Eh, what's up with the transmission?
Day 5: You need to sell this car.

I sold it and bought a BMW 340i. With a proper manual transmission.
Old 12-07-2015 | 10:17 AM
SHAG
Racer

2014 A7. It's nice but I wanted to trade it a month later. G/f won't let me sell it because she loves it. I would recommend passing unless it's RS7
Old 12-07-2015 | 11:26 AM
991GTS
Intermediate

If you need an all wheel drive sedan why not get a Panamera 4? In 2012 I test drove a Panamera and the A7. Ended up going with the Panamera. I actually got more compliments on the Panamera than I do in the 911.
Old 12-07-2015 | 12:31 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm struggling with this right now ... I have a 2013 leased Audi Allroad that's coming up and while it's been a good car, I'm bored with it and want something more interesting in an AWD sedan.

BMW 535ix -- engine is too small, lots of drama and revving but not going anywhere from a standing start. 550i is probably better but pricey.

Mercedes E class 4matic is dull as dirt. The C450 AMG is entertaining but on the small side and I have a hard time with $50k plus cars coming with fake leather unless you ante up.

I'm over the Audi thing. Had a Q5 then the Allroad. They all feel the same.

The nose on the Lexus is ugly. The nose on the Infiniti is uglier.

Drove the 2015 Jag XF and there was no character to it, no good noises. Gimmicky AC vents. Wonder if the 2016 will be better, if it ever gets here.

They were giving away 2015 Maserati Ghibli QS4 last month ... now there is a car with some beauty and character, snarls when you start it, nasty rasping Italian music from the tailpipes and 405 horsepower. Great lines. Inside is nice, too. Almost bought one but couldn't find the color I wanted. But $700 zero down lease on a $87k car is attractive. Whether or not it is reliable is another story.

Panerama is way expensive and not loving the styling. Drove the Macan but it felt like a Q5.

I'll probably wind up with another Audi ... lol
Old 12-07-2015 | 02:48 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I know it's one step up, but have you considered the S7? You've got to tick the sport diff option box. It makes a huge difference in the handling characteristics.
Old 12-07-2015 | 02:57 PM
spaghettiab
Advanced

Originally Posted by vjd3
Panerama is way expensive and not loving the styling.
Looks like an inverted bathtub :-)
Old 12-07-2015 | 04:09 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

I am currently trading in mine for a 991. It's nice but it's missing something. Had it for 4 years and with snow tires, it was a beast in the winter. Nice interior, too.
Old 12-07-2015 | 04:51 PM
Rallybagger
Advanced

I've had mine since 2012 - love it.

40k miles and works great for my needs. Never any issues and the hatch is just a total bonus!

For a Blown V-6 sedan, goes pretty good as well.
Old 12-07-2015 | 05:11 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just a quick addendum ... dropped the wife's BMW 435ix cabriolet off for service today and it was warm enough for the top down, had it in Sport mode, which she never does, and kept thinking that there was someone with one of those idiotic boom car stereos nearby ... turned out to be a deep, bassy rumble when the engine is revving down from 3000-2000 rpms. I think it was coming from the subwoofer in the cabin. I know BMW does the fake exhaust sounds through the stereo thing but it was ridiculous. Does not do it in economy mode.

Totally cheesy ... I know Porsche has the sound symposer which is just a port to allow intake noise into the car acoustically, but that pretty much rules out the 535ix for me (I believe it's the same motor as the 435ix).

However, the V8 in my Ferrari does that for real and I had it out today : )
Old 12-07-2015 | 05:24 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

I drive an A8, but I can attest to the effectiveness of the sport diff that is offered as an option. It really made a difference on my current '11 A8 compared to my previous generation A8. I know the sport diff is offered on the S7 (which is probably my next ride when current A8 warranty is up), but not sure if it is offered on standard A7. It really affects turn in and agility quite positively. Do a test drive.
Old 12-08-2015 | 12:11 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

I have the RS7 with the APR ECU tune. Easily carries 4 passengers, tremendous cargo space, comfortable seats, great traction. It can hit 60 in about 3 seconds flat, run a 10.6 1/4 mile and accelerate like a rocket from all legal highway speeds. I traded my R8 V10 in for the RS7. I have no idea what I'm going to replace it with if I ever decide to get rid of it.

That being said..,

I have a deposit at my dealer for the first available 991.2 GT3RS when it is produced. Maybe at that point I'll consider an S Class sedan for my luxo driving and long family trips.

Name:  imagejpg1_zpsacc35662.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  75.2 KB
Old 12-08-2015 | 01:04 AM
sandbar
Instructor

^ now you're making me wish I got the S7 vs A7! I'll be content only because of its stalemate.
Old 12-08-2015 | 03:35 AM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I have the RS7 with the APR ECU tune. Easily carries 4 passengers, tremendous cargo space, comfortable seats, great traction. It can hit 60 in about 3 seconds flat, run a 10.6 1/4 mile and accelerate like a rocket from all legal highway speeds. I traded my R8 V10 in for the RS7. I have no idea what I'm going to replace it with if I ever decide to get rid of it.

Your RS7 is a beast. I bet its tuned horsepower is like 650HP or even higher.
I've heard that the new RS7 Performance Edition and S8 Plus have the stock horsepower of 605HP. Would they get 700+HP after APR tuning? Will it still be covered by Audi warranty after tuning? Wouldn't tuning cause some mechanical problems on the strained engine and other parts? I'm highly interested. I think I would get a RS7 or an S8 if I'm going to have a power sedan, not a Panamera.

Last edited by coxswain; 12-08-2015 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: Any Audi A7 Owners here? Advice Please...