Notices

2004-2010 Mini Cooper (Looking for Reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Michael Robinson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004-2010 Mini Cooper (Looking for Reviews)

Hey guys,
Does anyone have any experience with mini coopers? I am looking for one for a daily driver. Are they good on gas? Reliable? Service friendly? Parts available at common retailers? Any input is appreciated. I want to know what your experiences are.
Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had 2 Mini Cooper S cars.

Loved them both, great fun, great exhaust burble on lift off and downshift.
Good on gas around town and on highway up to 70mph or so. If you are avg 70 on a long trip mpg drops off quick.

Loved them and would do it again !
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ish993; 02-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought an '06 MC S and made it our DD for almost 4 years. We sold it last spring with 78k on the odometer. It was one of the most fun cars that I have ever owned. I put Blizzaks on it for the winters, and drove it like a go-kart in the summers. The turbo had plenty of pick-up and with aggressive summer tires, it was a blast. My only gripe was that the car did begin to fall apart after 50k miles. The fit and finish was initially good, but the cabin did begin to rattle and show its age by 50k. Reliability-wise, we went through one fuel pump under warranty, and one outside of warranty. We also had some DFI-related carbon build-up in the engine at around 60K. Those are two common issues with the Mini engine, and we were not immune...

Gas mileage was also very good. I drove it like I stole it, so averaged around 28-30mpg. My wife on the other hand was more conservative and would get 32-34mpg. Our daily commute includes a 70 mile R/T from Park City to Salt Lake City, descending 3000 feet and then ascending 3000 feet. This definitely played a role in gas mileage...

The maintenance plan was very good, and I chose to do my own work out of warranty (fluids, brakes, etc.) Consumption parts are easy to get ahold of via the web, and are MUCH cheaper than sourcing through the dealer.

Lastly, I paid $32K for the car and sold it with 78k on the odometer to CarMax for $10K 4 years later. My annual cost of ownership was roughly $6k or so based on depreciation + extra costs. Not bad at all!

I'd definitely buy one again, and my wife and son really miss the car... Go for it!

-Blake
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt Romanowski (Rennlister) has an '08 or '09 that just hit 108K and he has had no major issues with it. He gets about 32-34 MPG with it, but he drives like a mad man. He says when he takes it easy he gets 36 (he has an S). My in-laws have a non-S that is an 2012 and get 41-42 MPG and they love the car.

Quick Reply: 2004-2010 Mini Cooper (Looking for Reviews)