General RL Opinions on Earlier Dodge Vipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I used to know a guy with a 2000 Viper GTS about 10 years ago. My impressions when compared to my friend's 2000 Corvette FRC (aka "hardtop") with a few bolt-ons:
  • The Viper got a LOT more attention. A LOT. If you like people gawking at you, I don't think you can do much better than a Viper.
  • The Viper felt crude. Rough. And *cheap*. And this is in comparison to a Corvette, which while very good by GM standards, isn't exactly the pinnacle of build quality.
  • The Viper was faster in a straight line. Not by much. But it was faster.
  • The Viper felt like a truck, torque-wise. It made torque everywhere. Nail it at 1,000rpm or 3,000rpm, the car "felt" the same. Just torque. The flip side - it had no real appreciable "power band."
  • Continuing on the "power band" comment - the Corvette *felt* faster. The higher you revved it, the harder the car pulled. That, IMO, made it more entertaining to drive. The Viper just "got it done". The Corvette wanted you to wring it's neck a little.
  • I wound up buying a Z06 after all this.
I'm with Omni - here's mine.
The same guy I bought this car from also had a Viper "Mamba" special edition (only 200 made). The Z06 is faster, and much more comfortable, especially for a taller guy (I'm 6'4"). Unbelievable torque. It took me a month to learn how to drive it smooth.
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

And now the thread shall die.

I really hate this "Other Marque Discussions" board.

Oh and personal opinion, I have always wanted a Viper. Don't know why but somewhere deep inside I love them.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, why doesn't this "Other Marque Discussions" show up on my little "table of contents" on the left of my screen? Odd...
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951
And now the thread shall die.

I really hate this "Other Marque Discussions" board.

Oh and personal opinion, I have always wanted a Viper. Don't know why but somewhere deep inside I love them.
I am with you and this was really a good thread.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:40 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Damn you mods, I came in looking for this thread to add some pics of an '06 I got to doink with today. Not worth the effort since you move this to a damn forum no one is going to look at.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

May as well have put it in the abyss
Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I am going to put the thread back up as Viper vs Porsche after I go look at the Viper.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 AM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

And the thread has died......
Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EspritS4s
And the thread has died......
yep... wouldn't have found it if wasn't subscribed...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
I'm with Omni - here's mine.
The same guy I bought this car from also had a Viper "Mamba" special edition (only 200 made). The Z06 is faster, and much more comfortable, especially for a taller guy (I'm 6'4"). Unbelievable torque. It took me a month to learn how to drive it smooth.
Um....sure....

Stick with the Viper, and you can fly from 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. It's a 10th or two quicker than the Z06 all the way to 100 mph, but by 150, the Viper has a half-second lead. It's also more than two seconds quicker to 150 than was the previous Viper. Vette and Viper are pretty much even (and impressive) in roadholding, lane change, and braking distance, but the Viper wins on the track. It's easier to drive around the road course as well, thanks to great feel from the quick steering and solid brake pedal. The Viper is more benign than you would think. There's so much rear-end grip that it's difficult to get a little back-end slide using the gas pedal, although the Viper is harder to manage once it does go sideways. We still prefer the Viper's mild understeer to the Corvette's tank-slapping oversteer.

The result is 600 horsepower and 560 pound-feet of torque, improvements of 90 horses and 25 pound-feet. At 2500 rpm, the Viper makes more torque than the Z06 does at its peak.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...r-srt10-page-2
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

it is going to be back next week in a new Viper vs Porsche thread next week as soon as I can get some Viper pics.

Thanks guys. A lot.

While I like the P car - I might have to give this a try too !
Old 12-10-2011, 02:22 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Um....sure....

Stick with the Viper, and you can fly from 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. It's a 10th or two quicker than the Z06 all the way to 100 mph, but by 150, the Viper has a half-second lead. It's also more than two seconds quicker to 150 than was the previous Viper. Vette and Viper are pretty much even (and impressive) in roadholding, lane change, and braking distance, but the Viper wins on the track. It's easier to drive around the road course as well, thanks to great feel from the quick steering and solid brake pedal. The Viper is more benign than you would think. There's so much rear-end grip that it's difficult to get a little back-end slide using the gas pedal, although the Viper is harder to manage once it does go sideways. We still prefer the Viper's mild understeer to the Corvette's tank-slapping oversteer.

The result is 600 horsepower and 560 pound-feet of torque, improvements of 90 horses and 25 pound-feet. At 2500 rpm, the Viper makes more torque than the Z06 does at its peak.

Thanks for that CPR !! Of course I was looking at the earlier models. Out in Tomball must be Viper country as about a dozen or more on ebay are listed out there. And they have the best biggest chicken fried steak out there too. Or used to. Yummmmmm!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 AM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

If a new sub-forum was going to be created that cannibalized primarily from OT (which is where these threads were historically dumped), then it may have made sense to put this new forum right under OT in the menu, at least until it gains its own momentum so that people would see it.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EspritS4s
If a new sub-forum was going to be created that cannibalized primarily from OT (which is where these threads were historically dumped), then it may have made sense to put this new forum right under OT in the menu, at least until it gains its own momentum so that people would see it.
Agreed.

This forum is like...Kansas. You may stumble through it but you never knowingly go there.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Um....sure....

Your comparison is a different generation than the car I referred to.
Both cars (Z06 & Mamba) were 2006's. The Mamba is a roadster.

Mamba 0-60 mph 3.9 sec.
Z06 0-60 mph 3.6 sec. according to C & D, 3.7 is more widely accepted

Top speed Mamba 189.5 mph
Top speed Z06 198 mph

Weight Mamba - 3380
Weight Z06 - 3180

Like I said, the Z06 is faster

Quick Reply: General RL Opinions on Earlier Dodge Vipers