Notices

Anyone know anything about the Smart Car Fortwo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar944
They make a lot of sense if you live in one of those cramped euro cities with no room to park.
Thats what orange or white Fiat Uno's are for.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I forgot to mention the line is purple...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
DJM914/6
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcquito
So my father practically stole a 2005 Smart Car 'Fortwo' just over the weekend. I must admit, it's awkwardly cool to drive and the fuel mileage is excellent around town.

I have an interior concern: Once again, a previous owner has left his devastating mark within the interior. This particular Fortwo, the passion (which I guess is the trim type) has a glass roof. The previous owner looks to have used a spray can adhesive and a series of double stick foam tape and velcro bits to attach a foam cushion to the glass thus creating a headliner. Also, the A pillars are of the same quality - glued and taped - and don't really seem to be close to factory. The only reason I consider them possibly coming with the car is the foam itself looks to be factory, but the way it was installed just looks terrible. Upon a bit of searching for photos online, I came up empty handed. Does anyone know if the interior actually has these strange foam cushion headliner pads covering the glass? Maybe not? I want to tear them out, but I'm not sure what to do afterward. Bringing the car back original would be nice if I could get an idea of how the car actually looked.

Thanks for any help!
I'm taking the day off from work today so no pics, but the Smart we have forsale at my shop is the same way. Many of the interior pieces are falling off and only had small peices of double stick take holding them on.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

I'm going to take some shots of it today. I don't see any signs of leakage. It just looks like an after-thought and a terrible attempt. The upholstery work is disgusting and the double stick tape/adhesive is horrific.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
aplcr944S2
Burning Brakes

It comes with a Dental Dam.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcquito
I have an interior concern: Once again, a previous owner has left his devastating mark within the interior. This particular Fortwo, the passion (which I guess is the trim type) has a glass roof. The previous owner looks to have used a spray can adhesive and a series of double stick foam tape and velcro bits to attach a foam cushion to the glass thus creating a headliner. Also, the A pillars are of the same quality - glued and taped - and don't really seem to be close to factory. The only reason I consider them possibly coming with the car is the foam itself looks to be factory, but the way it was installed just looks terrible. Upon a bit of searching for photos online, I came up empty handed. Does anyone know if the interior actually has these strange foam cushion headliner pads covering the glass? Maybe not? I want to tear them out, but I'm not sure what to do afterward. Bringing the car back original would be nice if I could get an idea of how the car actually looked.

Thanks for any help!

Passion with glass roof stock interior, sorry for the iphone pics..
Attached Images      
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Thanks for the pictures, 911SLOW. That car looks identical to my dad's purchase! That really helps a lot. So there is a slider thing that attaches to that center track? Is that what that is?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes Marc, it's a manually adjusted plastic cover that only blocks 1/3 of the glass roof.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about the Smart Car Fortwo?