Notices

VW Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, and Škoda.

I'll take a VW any day!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had fantastic luck with two MKIV Beetles (turbo and 2.0), a MKIV GTI, a B5 Passat GLX 4motion. Almost no non-maintenance issues (The ones I can think of are a coolant expansion tank sensor, a binding seat motor on the Passat that was fixed with lubrication, and a clogged sunroof drain in the GTI). Six months in on a 2010 GTI and all is well so far.

I drive the **** out of my cars and maintain them religiously. I think if you plan to treat a VW that way you'll be golden. I think if you plan to beat on it then maintain poorly you're in for nasty surprises. The problem with most of the dubs is that they are fun to drive, which makes you get on it more than you would a Camcord or some other appliance. Any car you drive like an enthusiast (or a teenager) needs careful maintenance.

I saw a link to the vortex somewhere above. If you can look past all the "stance" bs and high-schoolers talking about the best turbo chip, there's a wealth of info to be had there. PassatWorld is great if you go that route. TDIClub is filled with the true believers, browse at your own risk.

M.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I think it's just like any other German car. Keep it maintained and it will last forever. Treat it like a Corolla (and only put fuel and oil in it) and it will be a headache by 100k.

I've owned several VW's - a '91 Passat, a '00 Jetta, and a '03 GTI 1.8T. The Passat was a nightmare - eventually found out that the odometer had been rolled back (which explained a lot of the failures.) The '00 Jetta I bought new. My dad still drives it daily, has over 300k on it. Needed a few small things (MAF sensor, coil packs, exhaust eventually rotted out) but otherwise still runs like a champ. My '03 GTI I've had since practically new (bought it with 6k on it.) Aside from regular maintenance, car still runs like a champ - and this car saw regular autocross duty for a while, so it hasn't been babied. I expect to get another 100k out of it.

Follow the recommended service intervals and they are solid cars.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
silly question, but whats the difference between giving him a 7k passat and a 7k BMW? honostly bmw is more reliable than VW, VW is almost always classed in the lower half on scoring of reliabilty per 100 customers, while BMW is in the top 10. i have a joke about VW, if you light a match behind it while driving and then do a satalite image of the world, there will be a big VW symbol burning on the ground from all the oil they've leaked out
That can be argued (VW less reliable than BMW.)

A good close friend of mine worked at a dealer as a service writer which sold VW, BMW, and Mazda. VW and BMW were pretty much tied for problems. He hardly ever saw any Mazdas outside of the RX-8. Reason you don't hear about BMW problems as often is (at least my service writer buddy's theory... which IMO makes sense): BMW has free maintenance up to 50k. So people have NO reason NOT to bring their cars in for service. So any minor issue during the first 50k is taken care of (everything is covered - tires, brakes, wipers, etc.) So the average idiot regularly has their car in for small stuff (like new wiper blades every season) and it gives the dealer the chance to go over the car and write up a bunch of small warranty work to keep the car running well. That doesn't happen with VW. So a new BMW isn't driven for 30,000 miles on the same oil, or on a bad O2 sensor, bad MAF, etc. like a VW might be since the BMW owner isn't afraid to stop in to the dealer. My buddy pretty much always found a repair that needed to be done on the average BMW that came through his doors.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

silly question, but whats the difference between giving him a 7k passat and a 7k BMW?
Also realize that VW parts are cheaper.

Both cars, at a $7k purchase price, are going to need things. They'll most likely cost you a lot less on the VW.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I should clarify For VWs sold in the US, there are only two plants that supply this market. Wolfsburg and Mexico. Some of the early Beetles in the US were from Brazil, but they got seriously bad press, and Brazil production imports to the US were replaced with the Mexico build. The OP is from Kansas. Kansas is the exact middle of the US.
My '07 Touareg was assembled in Brataslava, Slovakia and I did own an '03 Golf TDI that was assembled in Brazil. My '08 R32 was assembled in Germany. I think that VW is gearing up to open an assembly plant in the US.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We own 2 2002 VWs - mine is a Jetta GLS TDI auto with 165K miles and my wifes car is a Cabrio GLS 2.5 auto with 100K miles. My TDI has been relatively trouble free (so far) having done brakes at 3x, timing belt, glow plugs, an alternator, and 3 batteries over the years. On a scale of 1-10 I would say 8. My wifes Cabrio pretty much the same EXCEPT for the damn window regulators/switches (on our 3rd ones @ $300 each plus labor from our independent - VW wanted twice that) and damn cruise control control units (she isnt using it - not worth the cost $500 plus cost to repair from the dealer). Her car has had brakes 2x. The emergency brake repair and cable replacement is still an open issue (once by our independent less than 2 years ago) and a very expensive proposition from the dealer. On a scale of 1-10, I would say 5. We'll probably keep both cars as long as possible and keep putting $ into them. Both cars still drive pretty well and are on the original shocks and springs. The fabric interiors have held up well. Both cars have had/have broken glovebox locks and my car has a broken armrest. This past weekend, we just noticed that her car's fabric top is starting to separate at a glued seam and we'll try to get that repaired. I think we're generally ok with our cars and wouldnt have any qualms recommending similar year models.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I had an '03 golf TDI that I bought new and drove for 50k mi in 3 years. Never had a single problem with that car. I kick myself for trading it in on Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT wagon.

Currently have an '07 Touareg TDI that I bought new, currently with 43k mi. Early on (like at 5k mi) we were having problems with the keyless entry not functioning properly. It was in a few times for this issue and each time the shop replaced one of the 4 sensors. After the problem persisted, the car was in the shop for a few weeks while the techs worked with the engineers in Germany. I think that a tech from Germany even came over to look at it. Eventually it was fixed and I was never told what the resolution of the issue was. Nice thing though is that VWoA paid for one of my $722 per month car payments for the inconvenience. Also had a rental on their dime the whole time. Have also had a few exhaust sensors fail that normally wouldn't be a big deal but with the V10 TDI engine, it requires a partial lowering of the eng/trans to get to the harness. Also had a left side turbo oil feed line that developed a leak that required a total removal of engine and transmission to fix. Had a rear compartment blower motor that stopped working at one point. All these issues were fixed under warranty.

My wife drives an '08 R32 that we bought new that currently has 18k mi. In the first year of ownership, my wife experienced a total loss of engine power on the freeway. VW towed the car to the shop and a few days later we got it back only to have the same issue again (this time not on the freeway). The issue the first time was the fuel pump and the second time it was due to a hose going to the fuel pump. I think the second time was a tech error. Haven't had any other issues with that car so far. We did have the mechatronic unit in the DSG transmission replaced as part of a recall campaign and that really smoothed out the herky jerky standing still takeoffs and low speed shifting in general.

Even given these issues we both really enjoy our VWs and can find no suitable replacements that would do what these cars do for us. Kind of hard to find another midsize SUV with 553 lb ft of torque or German AWD 2 door hatchback.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

silly question, but whats the difference between giving him a 7k passat and a 7k BMW?
Actually it's not a silly question. It's my hangup. Park a used Passat in a high school parking lot and it will fly under the radar, although in every aspect it may be nicer than the used BMW or used Porsche next to it. A high schooler needs a nice safe car that doesn't draw attention and that's it. If he wants a MB, Porsche, or some other brand like this he can buy it when he graduates and gets a job. This ones on my nickle. He will just be paying for the gas and repairs (until his summer job funds run out).

Besides, the mileage with the VW can't be beat.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

There are two production plants for the VWs. One is in Wolfsburg Germany, and the other is in Mexico. You can determine the build location from the VIN. I looked up both of mine and they were built in Germany. I've heard the one's built in Mexico have more quality problems.
Can you tell me what portion of the VIN indicates build location?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Country of origin: First alphanumeric in VIN.

W - Germany
3 - Mexico
9 - Brazil
1 - USA
J - Japan

etc.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbump2
There is also an assembly plant in Bratislava, Slovakia that ships to the U.S.
My '04 R32 and it's 4,999 U.S. market siblings were built there.

--Chuck--
I'd be interested to know the first 3 characters of the VIN on those cars.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Hard to argue with my 2k Beetle that's knocking at 200,000 miles and shows no signs of stopping.

I also have two Audi's pushing 200k. Meanwhile my co-worker gave up on his second Corolla because of all the problems (with both) and went back to SAAB.

Must be something in the Wisconsin air

I've heard the one's built in Mexico have more quality problems.
That's interesting, friend of mine who is a 20+ year VW tech says the total opposite.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

That's interesting, friend of mine who is a 20+ year VW tech says the total opposite.
YMMV
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM
speedbump2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbump2
There is also an assembly plant in Bratislava, Slovakia that ships to the U.S.
My '04 R32 and it's 4,999 U.S. market siblings were built there.

--Chuck--
I'd be interested to know the first 3 characters of the VIN on those cars.
"W V W"

--Chuck--

Quick Reply: VW Reliability