Notices

Anyone see "Inside BMW" on MSNBC last night?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone see "Inside BMW" on MSNBC last night?

After watching BMW's approach to designing/building cars and their commitment to the customer I have to wonder if Porsche devotes as much effort to the same. If there is a repeat of this one-hour show it's a must-see.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

must see? It was an hour long commercial.

total snoozer.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

It was a good show. On funny thing about the design part of it (how extensive it is, etc...), is that I think the last BMW desgins were absolutely horrendous. That's why Audi and MB has taken marketshare away from BMW (although overall they all grew). Although this year BMW has improved their design quite a bit.

There were some series of shows on Speed a few months ago that covered Audi, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, and Jaguar.

They were all GREAT and really showed you get what you pay for with any of those brands. Rolls Royce being incredibly **** to quality control and I totally developed a lot more respect for that car.

Porsche does a lot of research into may aspects of the car, although they mostly showed the assembly line.

From my personal tour of factory, I can say that for instance they pay A LOT of attention to picking a PERFECT piece of leather for the car. First they only get the leather hides from Austria that doesn't have barbwire fences, so there's no marks on the leather.... then there's an expert inspecting every inch of the hide and marks the *imperfect* sections with a digital marker... then it goes to a cutting machine that cuts difference pieces of leather with high pressure water (only method that doesn't damage) while skipping the imperfect parts that was marked earlier. Now that is called attention to details!

Last edited by alexb76; 07-14-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I could only take about 10 minutes of it. BMW Corporate Communications really scored (for the part that I saw) - it was pretty Rah-Rah, aren't we great. Maybe I missed some in-depth reporting that someone will will tell me about.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So busy watching Casey Anthony post-trial coverage, I completely forgot!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes I think BMW's attention to detail is among the best.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Even down to the run flats! LOL!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

From my personal tour of factory, I can say that for instance they pay A LOT of attention to picking a PERFECT piece of leather for the car. First they only get the leather hives from Austria that doesn't have barbwire fences, so there's no marks on the leather.... then there's an expert inspecting every inch of the hive and marks the *imperfect* sections with a digital marker... then it goes to a cutting machine that cuts difference pieces of leather with high pressure water (only method that doesn't damage) while skipping the imperfect parts that was marked earlier. Now that is called attention to details!
FYI, I think bees come from hives, leather comes from hides.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
FYI, I think bees come from hives, leather comes from hides.
LOL... that's what happens when someone posts on Rennlist, multi-tasking at work! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
First they only get the leather hides from Austria that doesn't have barbwire fences, so there's no marks on the leather.... then there's an expert inspecting every inch of the hide and marks the *imperfect* sections with a digital marker... then it goes to a cutting machine that cuts difference pieces of leather with high pressure water (only method that doesn't damage) while skipping the imperfect parts that was marked earlier. Now that is called attention to details!
Seriously? My 5 series Nasca leather looks perfect at 40,000 miles. Have you seen the average 911 seats at 40,000 miles?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Seriously? My 5 series Nasca leather looks perfect at 40,000 miles. Have you seen the average 911 seats at 40,000 miles?
+1 leather on my 996 does not look stellar.

FM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

HA. Well here's a data point:

On my '06 3-series, the seat bolster on the driver's seat started to split at the seam after maybe 1 year. It was a widely reported complaint on the forums. My local dealer basically said "too bad, not covered."

The front passenger weight-sensor had failure problems, causing the passenger airbag to be disabled permanently. BMW issued a half-assed recall that covered perhaps only half the affected vehicles. Mine had a 100% identical defect, but my local dealer basically said "too bad, not covered." BMWNA also said "too bad, not covered."

How's that for durable upholstery and customer support?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Have had 4 BMWs. The trend is unfortunately toward heavier vehicles and more complex technology, which not only don't I need, but also can be downright counter-intuitive. Their latest AT requires one to push forward to engage reverse. That's ridiculous.

I would never hold a recent model BMW past warranty. All that technology (IDrive and the like) will be very expensive to fix or replace.

Quite simply, I don't find BMWs much fun to drive anymore. The current 3 Series is as large as the 5 Series used to be and word is the next generation 3 Series will be even larger.

Count me out.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
Have had 4 BMWs. The trend is unfortunately toward heavier vehicles and more complex technology, which not only don't I need, but also can be downright counter-intuitive. Their latest AT requires one to push forward to engage reverse. That's ridiculous.

I would never hold a recent model BMW past warranty. All that technology (IDrive and the like) will be very expensive to fix or replace.

Quite simply, I don't find BMWs much fun to drive anymore. The current 3 Series is as large as the 5 Series used to be and word is the next generation 3 Series will be even larger.

Count me out.
Same here. We have an 06 E53 X5 (based on the old E39 chasis - no i-drive) that we love. I had an E39 540 that we loved and an E46 that we loved. we put about 600k miles between these cars. I was a loyal bmw owner for years. That all changed when i went to take a drive in the 645 when it was release back in 2004 and also with the E60 5 series. Nothing has changed with the new F10 5 series. It is a beautiful car, but it too big, soft, and void of the Ultimate Driving Machine feel. I think the 1 series is about the only car they still make true to its roots, and they are about to ruin that one by making it FWD!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Fun factor aside, I would put BMW fit and finish up against Porsche ANY day. The paint and sheetmetal on BMW's are near bulletproof too, while Porsche paint is as soft and vunerable as it gets. Tiny rock + Porsche = chip or dent. tiny rock +BMW= no problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone see "Inside BMW" on MSNBC last night?