Notices

BMW: 535i sport MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Default BMW: 535i sport MT

I've been thinking I'd replace my '09 528i sport manual with a 535i MSport MT when the lease is up next spring. Today I stopped by the local dealer and they happened to have a 535i MT that was ordered for a client who backed out on the deal. Not exactly what I want (no MSport, no active steering, no ventialted seats,) but close enough to start my wheels turning......so I test drove it.
Well, what a disappointment. 1st, I thought the power from the turbo would have felt much stronger than my NA inline 6. It didn't. Second, the throttle response is very odd. It's delayed for an inch or two before it finally kicks in. It's also like that in our Xdrive 35i, but it's an automatic, so I figured clutch control could avoid the hesitation off the line. Not so. It's a very weird phenomenon. And last, the steering on the new 5 is odd. In some situations it feels totally linear, but at other times I tried to turn and it seemed like nothing was happening - a bad electronic control system that I'd read about in an article or two, but now I've experienced it first hand.
Oh well, glad I had a chance to drive it before going crazy with the options on a new 535i MSport 6MT. But now what to do? And, ooohhhh BMW, why are you making such stupid moves?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Get a 991 next Spring!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

needs the clutch delay valve removed!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Yeah I've heard about the cdv issue. It seemed so much more of an intrusion than on my '09, though.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 AM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of posts on Bimmerfest discussing this throttle issue - it's not uncommon. Apparently it's fixable with a software update, but it seems like something BMW ought to have caught and addressed in testing.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am done with BMW. They will need a BMW version of the Boxster Spyder in a 2 door coupe to get me back, and it will never happen. It would kick *** if they did it, but they care too much about the Lexus and Acura customer to do it, and nothing about their Ultimate Driving Machine heritage. If you want to deal with a dealership that treats you like an aspirational customer from Toyota, buy a BMW; otherwise not.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a 2008 535 with MT. The 535 is much more powerful than a 525/528/530. There is very little turbo lag. The new model ( 2011) has one turbo with two vanes rather than the two turbos in my car but the behavior should be the same. The cdv should have nothng to do with the situation described above if the clutch pedal is out. Perhaps BMW is using a much softer throttle opening program like M-B typically uses. Having said that, after drivin many MT cars over many years, my 535 was the most difficult to get used to. The new car is more like an E class car as it is much heavier now and shares a lot with the 7 series now. I believe it has electric power steering too. The real issue with BMW these days is the extreme number of problems with their fuel delivery and induction systems. Endless problems with injectors and fuel pumps. That is why I am happy to have a 2008 Carrera as it is port injected rather than DI. My 535 is my first and last BMW. By the way, I have not heard about any throttle issues with the 535. My BMW has about 62,000 miles on it.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I am a long time BMW enthusiast and continue to enjoy their cars. However, the CDV has been an issue for years and unfortunately it insulates the feeling in the clutch release so that a direct feel of clutch engagement is very difficult. Most folks get the CDV removed.

The fuel delivery on the 535 twin turbos (pre 2011) were (and continue to be) problematic. BMW has tried many updates without much improvement. Not sure what the problem was with the 2011 535 MT you test drove but you should try another to make sure the situation you experienced is consistent. the 2011 is heavier and now have runflats which affects the ride.

Mark
Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I am a long time BMW enthusiast and continue to enjoy their cars. However, the CDV has been an issue for years and unfortunately it insulates the feeling in the clutch release so that a direct feel of clutch engagement is very difficult. Most folks get the CDV removed.

The fuel delivery on the 535 twin turbos (pre 2011) were (and continue to be) problematic. BMW has tried many updates without much improvement. Not sure what the problem was with the 2011 535 MT you test drove but you should try another to make sure the situation you experienced is consistent. the 2011 is heavier and now have runflats which affects the ride.

Mark
Perhaps. But even disregarding the cdv issue, the steering was awkward and the car just felt heavy. I'm bummed.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM
mousecrab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche

Mark
I didn't remove the CDV on my 330i and not till I have my 911 i never realized how bad the CDV made my shifts...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Panamera? Audi A(S)6?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHC
Panamera? Audi A(S)6?
Slush box. Slush box.