Notices

Thinking about buying a '02-'06 Maserati

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 AM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about buying a '02-'06 Maserati

I am thinking about picking up a Maserati coupe with a 6sp manual transmision. I don't want to call it a daily driver, but it would see more seat time than my other cars. If I buy one, it has to be something that I can work on myself which is why I don't want one with the F1 transmission. I also have no interest in the convertible version. I've read all of the Maserati threads on Rennlist, but I'm interested in any updates, particularly from those who do not rely on the dealer for maintenance.

400Hp, Maserati marque, awesome exhaust note, but Ferrari repair prices... Not a decision to be taken lightly.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

I have only second hand knowledge (stupid kids) about maintenance on the M cars and I have been told they are LESS than you would think.

Granted I would think they are astronomical, so maybe less than astronomical is only marginally better.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
mikehelms
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Think carefully. Even with the vastly-more-reliable manual transmission, you'll still be paying the high maintenance costs on a Ferrari V8 in a car that doesn't actually look like a Ferrari. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, but you *do* know that it's going to cost you. I'm just sayin'.

I looked fairly seriously at an '02 Maserati Coupe before I bought the 996. Holy hell was that a beautiful interior ... but everything I touched in it had that "you know you love me ... and you know you're going to pay to play" air about it.

FWIW, I don't think most people know what a Maserati is, or maybe only know the name from the Joe Walsh song. Maybe I'm wrong ... but I probably wouldn't buy a Maserati if I wanted to impress the neighbours.

Cheers,
-- Mike
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehelms
Think carefully. Even with the vastly-more-reliable manual transmission, you'll still be paying the high maintenance costs on a Ferrari V8 in a car that doesn't actually look like a Ferrari. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, but you *do* know that it's going to cost you. I'm just sayin'.
+1

Why deal with Ferrari problems if you're not going to have the advantage of having a Ferrari?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Fabio421
Man of many SIGs
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine had one w/ the F1 transmission. He loved it but ended up trading it for a ZO6 becasue he wanted something he could modify. He later found out from the dealership he traded to that the car had transmission pump issues as well as a slightly leaking head gasket. For what it's worth, I would fall in love every time I saw the car. They are really great looking vehicles. Some may say it doesn't look like a Ferrari but it was designed by Panifarina and it has a Ferrari engine. Thats about as close as you can get. And the purchase price is very reasonable on them as well. I say go for it.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

With a fleet of 928s and a Cayenne, I suspect you are fairly immune to maintenance-intensive cars.

I don't know what it takes to work on one but they sure are beautiful.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the prices these are going for I thought about taking the plunge myself. I actually like the more understated appearance of the Maserati over the Ferrari if I was going to be frequently driving the car.

From my limited research you are wise to go with the manual as F1 problems seem very common.

My father-in-law has a Ferrari 355 Berlinetta....beautiful car and incredibly intoxicating exhaust note. My '87 Carrera will smoke the Ferrari on more days than not....because the Ferrari is always in the shop! Ultimately that steered me away from the Maserati and toward a more 'responsible' family car (E55 AMG).

If you have the nerve to take the plunge be sure to let us know how it is working out from time to time.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 PM
mikehelms
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Why deal with Ferrari problems if you're not going to have the advantage of having a Ferrari?
Well, that's what I meant.

I'd hate to have to explain to curious people why it has a Ferrari engine and it isn't a Ferrari ... and I doubt you're going to get front door parking spaces in a Maserati.

Crappy reasons to buy (or not buy) a car, of course, but if you're going to pay Ferrari upkeep prices, you may as well get the perks.

And who knows. Maybe I missed out on the deal of the decade with that Maserati.

Cheers,
-- Mike
Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone who owned an Esprit should think of it like 'twice the cylinders, twice the repair price'.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Awesome.

I'm thinking of picking up an 04 Maserati repair shop, now I can get that and a boat, big boat.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

I'm not really interested in the car as a Ferrari substitute. I think the Maserati coupe looks fantastic in its own right. I'd really like a Gran Turismo, but they are more than I'm willing to spend at this point (although in a couple years after the usual Maserati depreciation hit they will probably be in my price range). I'm used to people not recognizing my 928s, so that doesn't really bother me either. Whatever I end up buying needs to have a back seat as I occasionally have to pick up my daughter after work. That rules out most F-cars.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by EspritS4s
I'm not really interested in the car as a Ferrari substitute. I think the Maserati coupe looks fantastic in its own right. I'd really like a Gran Turismo, but they are more than I'm willing to spend at this point (although in a couple years after the usual Maserati depreciation hit they will probably be in my price range). I'm used to people not recognizing my 928s, so that doesn't really bother me either. Whatever I end up buying needs to have a back seat as I occasionally have to pick up my daughter after work. That rules out most F-cars.
I sat in a Grand Turismo a couple years ago...I think it was an 08....I was surprised at how BIG the car is....huge really...but the interior was amazing...the feel and quality of the leather was VERY impressive....worlds better than my E92 M3 I was driving at the time...and the BMW interior was pretty good!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

I have no idea what your trying to say

Originally Posted by SidViscous
Awesome.

I'm thinking of picking up an 04 Maserati repair shop, now I can get that and a boat, big boat.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

If I have a maserati repair shop, and you have a maserati I'll have enough Money to buy a big boat.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not in the position to own one but I do see them frequently where I work. Honestly I would prefer a Maser to a Ferrari, exactly for the reason of discretion. I don't drive a Porsche or any other car for the badge. I drive it for the car. And when I hear them pull off next to me with that burble, in a big GT... mmmmmmm.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a '02-'06 Maserati