Notices

Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) In New Porsches?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 07:41 PM
CoreyT
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) In New Porsches?

Hi All, not sure if there is a better forum for this but ima start the discussion here. Searching the web, and rennlist, I didn't find anyone talking about it so I wanted to start the conversation.

Now sure how I didn't hear about this before, but supposedly in the USA
From July 2022, Intelligent speed assistance (ISA) will be mandatory for new models/types of vehicles introduced on the market. The ISA will become mandatory for all new cars that will be sold from July 2024 (therefore it will not concern the vehicle fleet already registered and in circulation before that date).
And for the EU, apparently it becomes mandatory this year.

I believe this is for the Alfa Romeo models specifically, but it may be a generic implementation.

The ISA system

The ISA system is required to work with the driver and not to restrict his/her possibility to act in any moment during driving. The driver is always in control and can easily override the ISA system.

The ISA regulation provides four options for systems feedback to the driver, from which car manufacturers will be free to choose from:

Cascaded acoustic warning
Cascaded vibrating warning
Haptic feedback through the acceleration pedal
Speed control function

The first two feedback options do not directly intervene but only provide warnings (first optic and if no response from the driver, a delayed acoustic/vibrating warning), which have to be as short as possible in duration to avoid potential annoyance of the driver.

The other possible feedback relies on the pedal restoring force - it will push the driver’s foot gently back to make the driver aware and help to slow down. The driver can ignore this feedback and override the system by pushing slightly harder on the acceleration pedal. Even in the case of speed control function, where the car speed will be automatically gently reduced, the system can be smoothly overridden by the driver by pressing the accelerator pedal a little bit deeper.
I could not find anything regarding this being introduced on Porsches, and like all things cars this last decade, this is probably real, will effect us, and is coming sooner than anyone wants.

I was able to find some brief articles about it, but nothing directly pertaining to Porsche. Does anyone have any information they can share?

Some cars in the USA already have this implemented, Do we know if this is something that is can be circumvented via flashing or reprogramming?

Last edited by CoreyT; 08-26-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) In New Porsches?