Notices

Urus ownership - just a VW, right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 01:40 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Default Urus ownership - just a VW, right?

Curious what the group here thinks about owning an Urus, compared with a Cayenne, Q8 or Touareg. Basic fluid and filters and brakes should be in the realm of "normal" cost for a premium vehicle, correct? And because of platform sharing, these basic tasks should be no more difficult to do, correct? Is a reasonable analogy: Urus is to Cayenne or Q8 as AMG is to the equivalent MB model?

Engine - the Urus' 4.0L V8 is the TFSI engine used in several VAG vehicles. Besides tuning, what practical differences exist? OIl and filter change should be the same as Cayenne?

Transmission - solid ZF 8HP, no concerns in my view there.

Brakes - looks like carbon ceramic is the only way the vehicle is offered. To me these aren't needed on any vehicle except for track use.

I can imagine Lambo-specific parts like trim, seats, exterior panels, etc would be expensive to replace in case of damage.

Besides the last comment above, what is the difference - in a practical sense - in owning an Urus vs. a Cayenne?

p.s. I searched this section and didn't see a thread that addressed Urus ownership.

Last edited by chassis; 08-19-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:02 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 178 Posts

I have always been unimpressed with the Urus since it came out. The interior is basically the same as an Audi Q8 and it has some cool seats and a neat push start button. Other than that, I think the exterior is quite ugly and would never pay north of $200K for it. If I was looking for a luxury high end SUV, there are plenty of other options from Land Rover, Audi, MB, and BMW.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-19-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 02:08 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

For me personally, the Lamborghini styling queues that work so well on their cars, don't suit an SUV. Just doesn't look quite right to my eye - like it's trying to hard. The over the top styling works on the cars because you expect it to be over top, but on the SUV, it just seems off imo. I'd go for an Audi RSQ8 for a whole lot less money while getting most, if not all, of the actually usable performance.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-26-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 02:48 PM
Pandaa
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Really is to each their own. After driving one and comparing to other cars it’s almost the same debate as why get the GT3 Touring over the 911T? You get 95% of the driving experience. Why GT4 over GTS? Why bother with a Cayenne or Macan and not the Q7/Q5?

The engine is tuned by Porsche in the Urus and you get the Lambo design which is a personal preference. What some find worth it others will scoff at. We drove a ton of these options. Only the Cayenne Turbo GT wasn’t driven and we still picked the Urus.

Now before we went down this route I was preaching the same thing. Trying to somewhat sway the decision towards the RSQ8 and all that, justify it with the savings and discussion points. After seeing it in person, it just became part of the Lambo goal. We will be happy paying for it at the premium for our happiness. Really comes down to personal preference and if it’ll make one happy!

Quick Reply: Urus ownership - just a VW, right?