Notices

Need a "beater" for DD to Jersey City

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 09:24 AM
DiREW0LF
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need a "beater" for DD to Jersey City

Hello, I'm looking for opinions. I need a new beater for my trip to Jersey City, NJ. It's about 40 miles each way and I've found a decent route with pretty smooth roads. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, maybe $35K since I know it's going to get beat going down there and the mileage will add up pretty quickly. I thought I was set on a Cadillac CT6 3.0TT but my experience with the local dealers hasn't been great. I'd like a luxury barge or larger SUV (under 6' 6" to fit in the garage) to help make the ride as relaxing as possible, I'd like an S class or 7 series but am not sure how bad they'll kill me in maintenance with the mileage I'll be putting on. I am surprised to find M5's in that price range but I'm sure that'll be an expensive endeavor. I'd like something nice since I'll be spending a bit of time in it.

Can anyone comment on their experience with the CT6? Any issues, happy with it? Should I just put up with the dealers crap and get one?
Would a German marquee put me in the poor house with maintenance? I've owned Jaguars and Range Rovers and won't make that mistake again. lol I also DD'ed a 1993 500SEL which I dearly miss but finding a good one that doesn't need a ton of work is becoming increasingly difficult.

I'm currently driving my Ram 3500 Megacab which I truly enjoy except that I'm stuck parking in a paid lot about half a mile from the office when I have a free spot in my building.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM
DiREW0LF
Advanced

Not a single comment or opinion. In any case, I decided on a 2016 750i XDrive. Wish me luck.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:06 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 300 Posts

I was going to suggest Lexus ~ rock solid and rides like a cloud
Old 02-12-2020, 03:23 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DiREW0LF
Hello, I'm looking for opinions. I need a new beater for my trip to Jersey City, NJ. It's about 40 miles each way and I've found a decent route with pretty smooth roads. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, maybe $35K since I know it's going to get beat going down there and the mileage will add up pretty quickly. I thought I was set on a Cadillac CT6 3.0TT but my experience with the local dealers hasn't been great. I'd like a luxury barge or larger SUV (under 6' 6" to fit in the garage) to help make the ride as relaxing as possible, I'd like an S class or 7 series but am not sure how bad they'll kill me in maintenance with the mileage I'll be putting on. I am surprised to find M5's in that price range but I'm sure that'll be an expensive endeavor. I'd like something nice since I'll be spending a bit of time in it.

Can anyone comment on their experience with the CT6? Any issues, happy with it? Should I just put up with the dealers crap and get one?Thanks
Bruce
Originally Posted by 911Königin
I was going to suggest Lexus ~ rock solid and rides like a cloud
Hey Bruce - looks like we are county neighbors... i'm in East Hanover and park my car in Harrison to take the Path into WTC... i was in your spot about 6 months ago and bought a new daily since i just wanted something newer than my '99 Camry with 190k miles... it was fine but i wanted something newer, AWD for the snow (remember snowmagedon 2018?) and new tech...

unfortunately i don't have any direct experience with the CT6, but i do have a CTS-V Wagon and have relationships with Caddy dealers... (avoid Open Road in Florham Park, but i had great experience with Brogan in Totowa) for a durable daily, i went with Japanese... RX350 or MDX would have fit the bill for your price range... my budget was ~$10k less so i went with a Hyundai Tucson instead... doesn't have the get up and go of the 911 or Vagon, but where am i going fast stuck in bumper to bumper on i-280 during rush hour...
Old 02-12-2020, 04:00 PM
DiREW0LF
Advanced

I try to stay away from 280. I've been going 80-287-24-78, its a little further and there are tolls but the roads are better and less sketchy areas than when going from 280 to JC. How is that parking area in Harrison? When I started working down here a ton of people were telling me about it but no one had actually parked there.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:28 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DiREW0LF
I try to stay away from 280. I've been going 80-287-24-78, its a little further and there are tolls but the roads are better and less sketchy areas than when going from 280 to JC. How is that parking area in Harrison? When I started working down here a ton of people were telling me about it but no one had actually parked there.
it's a brand new station now and they took down that old dilapidated warehouse that was there and repaved the whole lot... it's nice for the price and convenient to 280 or if you have to double back to get onto 78... it works for me... the main road kinda sucks though with all the construction trucks in the area tearing it up... i'm glad i'm higher up in an SUV...

Quick Reply: Need a "beater" for DD to Jersey City