Notices

My new rig - Gladiator Launch Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:37 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts
Default My new rig - Gladiator Launch Edition

Just over a year ago I started truck shopping. And I don't like trucks. I have never owned one despite my dad, brother, and all three of my nephews driving them. I like cars. And some SUVs. I've specifically enjoyed the Macan and I was looking forward to replacing it with a new Bronco or Defender. And then I had the epiphany that I wanted something with a bed. Mostly to load up motorcycles, but also because you can load up pretty much anything.

I shopped Raptors, F250s, Tacomas, Tundras, Colorados - pretty much all of them. I liked the Raptor and also liked the Roush F250. I was close on a Roush F150. And I just couldn't get the stars to align on numbers I liked. So I stopped shopping.

And then the Gladiator was announced. I could go through a long list of Pros, but I was focused on two major Cons. I don't care for Jeep culture and Chrysler isn't exactly known for Quality. Regardless, I kept researching them. And looked into owner experiences of the new JL Wrangler. It was essentially what I expected. All the negatives are considered "Jeep Things" and you either get it or you don't. Whatever.

Fast forward to the reservation process of the Launch Edition. Which is basically a fully loaded Rubicon with a badge, black wheels, and leather covered dash. Caution to the wind, I went for it. And heard absolutely nothing back from Jeep or their Concierge Service for LE orders. Randomly a month later I received an email that they still had my reservation, did I want it. Yes. Yes I did.

So I found a dealer willing to deal. I scored affiliate pricing and locked in my order on 16May. Expecting a 2-3 month wait, I kicked back and relaxed while all the other customers waited in great anticipation. Surprisingly, I got a call this week from my dealer letting me know the Gladiator had arrived. Less than 4 weeks from order to delivery.

So, as of today, the Macan has been replaced. And while I could have gotten a better trade value elsewhere, the discount was so significant on the Gladiator, it was impossible to beat. 400 miles round trip and one pretty awesome Saturday later, here it is. And yes, it's dirty. I asked them not to wash it.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:28 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! I already have a Wrangler (JKU), and the Gladiator is a great combo Wrangler / truck. You need to get offroad and see what it can do.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 669 Posts

Looking forward to your review! You certainly jumped from a vehicle with very refined road manners to one that is biased towards the dirt.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Freightliner
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They sure ain't cheap.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Freightliner
They sure ain't cheap.
Price of entry for a Sport is $33k. The Overland and Rubicon are definitely on the higher side for the mid-size truck segment but still fairly competitive with the TRDs and ZR71s. It's a niche truck though. No doubt about that.

So far, I've been very impressed with it. The interior isn't as refined as the Macan, but it's also not to be expected. It drives better than a Wrangler, it's unique as far as trucks go, and it really will go almost anywhere. And I can throw my bikes in the back, remove the doors, take off the top, etc....

And if you haven't seen the modern Wrangler interior, it's truly night and day over what it used to be. It's a great cabin. One that is considerably better than the competition.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,302 Likes on 654 Posts

I love it congrats!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

What was your reasoning in choosing this over the Raptor? I'm deciding between the two right now and am interested in hearing your thoughts and what eventually prompted you to choose the Gladiator?
Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustBud
What was your reasoning in choosing this over the Raptor? I'm deciding between the two right now and am interested in hearing your thoughts and what eventually prompted you to choose the Gladiator?
I have to start by saying I have never owned a truck. My dad, brother, and nephews all own trucks but I was never interested. I had two Jeep Wranglers in the 90s and then moved to cars. Once I went to German cars, done deal.

Last year I started thinking about what would replace the Macan. I assumed it would be the new Defender or new Bronco, but the more I saw the Raptor the more I got interested. Primarily so I could load the Groms easily in the back and could haul things around that I wouldn't put in an SUV. The Raptor has a nice interior, it's comfortable, quick for a truck, and more than capable for what I needed and wanted. But I didn't need a full size truck. There just wasn't a small truck that I wanted. The Tacoma is dated and the interior is outdated. I don't love the exterior. The new Ranger is too pedestrian. It's boring. And with no Raptor Ranger coming to the US anytime soon, it was out.

So I was all about the Raptor. Even though I didn't really want the turbo. I know it's better. Lighter. Faster. I just prefer NA. Regardless, I would have bought the Raptor if I could have gotten the price right last year. But I refused to pay the prices and I wasn't in a hurry.

Then the Gladiator reveal date happened I dove in. Quirky. Solid front axle. Legit off-road capability. Removable doors and top. Solid tow rating. Long, but still small. I loved the JL Wrangler interior and this carried over to the Gladiator. Nice infotainment, Android Auto, controls are great, seats are comfortable, plenty of rear seat space. And the extra things like storage, Bluetooth speaker, and accessory support were all positive.

At that point it came down to two things. Could I live with the 3.6 Pentastar and could I deal with all the Jeep people waving? Once I drove one, it was fine. I have the GT4 and the bikes if I want that experience. I don't need the truck to be a screamer, just to get out of its own way. And it does. Doesn't sound great, but it pulls like an NA engine should. I was all-in.

The Raptor is better at many things. Those things just aren't necessary for me. The Gladiator excels at being quirky, fun, capable, and is a better lifestyle fit for what I want. And the Raptor MSRP was $75k. Which meant $70k with a discount. I got the Gladiator for $54k on a $62k MSRP. And that made it even better.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:16 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

$54k. Wow. I thought the Taco was all the money at just under $40k. Almost bought one to haul our dirt bikes.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:50 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BryanCO
$54k. Wow. I thought the Taco was all the money at just under $40k. Almost bought one to haul our dirt bikes.
Gladiators start at $33k. The Launch Edition is a fully optioned Rubicon. On the whole, it's comparable to a Tacoma, unless you want more options. Then yes, the price definitely exceeds other trucks in the same segment.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:17 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
I have to start by saying I have never owned a truck. My dad, brother, and nephews all own trucks but I was never interested. I had two Jeep Wranglers in the 90s and then moved to cars. Once I went to German cars, done deal.

Last year I started thinking about what would replace the Macan. I assumed it would be the new Defender or new Bronco, but the more I saw the Raptor the more I got interested. Primarily so I could load the Groms easily in the back and could haul things around that I wouldn't put in an SUV. The Raptor has a nice interior, it's comfortable, quick for a truck, and more than capable for what I needed and wanted. But I didn't need a full size truck. There just wasn't a small truck that I wanted. The Tacoma is dated and the interior is outdated. I don't love the exterior. The new Ranger is too pedestrian. It's boring. And with no Raptor Ranger coming to the US anytime soon, it was out.

So I was all about the Raptor. Even though I didn't really want the turbo. I know it's better. Lighter. Faster. I just prefer NA. Regardless, I would have bought the Raptor if I could have gotten the price right last year. But I refused to pay the prices and I wasn't in a hurry.

Then the Gladiator reveal date happened I dove in. Quirky. Solid front axle. Legit off-road capability. Removable doors and top. Solid tow rating. Long, but still small. I loved the JL Wrangler interior and this carried over to the Gladiator. Nice infotainment, Android Auto, controls are great, seats are comfortable, plenty of rear seat space. And the extra things like storage, Bluetooth speaker, and accessory support were all positive.

At that point it came down to two things. Could I live with the 3.6 Pentastar and could I deal with all the Jeep people waving? Once I drove one, it was fine. I have the GT4 and the bikes if I want that experience. I don't need the truck to be a screamer, just to get out of its own way. And it does. Doesn't sound great, but it pulls like an NA engine should. I was all-in.

The Raptor is better at many things. Those things just aren't necessary for me. The Gladiator excels at being quirky, fun, capable, and is a better lifestyle fit for what I want. And the Raptor MSRP was $75k. Which meant $70k with a discount. I got the Gladiator for $54k on a $62k MSRP. And that made it even better.

Thanks for the answers. I see that you have two Jeeps in your past and as you say it fits your lifestyle. The only Jeep I ever owned was a Cherokee Limited (1988).

I really like the Gladiator but think I will end up with the Raptor as my needs are a bit different from yours. More homeowner occasional work (light duty stuff) requirements. Would love to start enjoying the Jeep experience but that may require a Wrangler (fun car) purchase as opposed to replacing my truck with one.

Enjoy it, it's a great looking truck! (Glad you opted for black too, I'm not a red fan and all the ones I see here have been red)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Just over a year ago I started truck shopping. And I don't like trucks. I have never owned one despite my dad, brother, and all three of my nephews driving them. I like cars. And some SUVs. I've specifically enjoyed the Macan and I was looking forward to replacing it with a new Bronco or Defender. And then I had the epiphany that I wanted something with a bed. Mostly to load up motorcycles, but also because you can load up pretty much anything.

I shopped Raptors, F250s, Tacomas, Tundras, Colorados - pretty much all of them. I liked the Raptor and also liked the Roush F250. I was close on a Roush F150. And I just couldn't get the stars to align on numbers I liked. So I stopped shopping.

And then the Gladiator was announced. I could go through a long list of Pros, but I was focused on two major Cons. I don't care for Jeep culture and Chrysler isn't exactly known for Quality. Regardless, I kept researching them. And looked into owner experiences of the new JL Wrangler. It was essentially what I expected. All the negatives are considered "Jeep Things" and you either get it or you don't. Whatever.

Fast forward to the reservation process of the Launch Edition. Which is basically a fully loaded Rubicon with a badge, black wheels, and leather covered dash. Caution to the wind, I went for it. And heard absolutely nothing back from Jeep or their Concierge Service for LE orders. Randomly a month later I received an email that they still had my reservation, did I want it. Yes. Yes I did.

So I found a dealer willing to deal. I scored affiliate pricing and locked in my order on 16May. Expecting a 2-3 month wait, I kicked back and relaxed while all the other customers waited in great anticipation. Surprisingly, I got a call this week from my dealer letting me know the Gladiator had arrived. Less than 4 weeks from order to delivery.

So, as of today, the Macan has been replaced. And while I could have gotten a better trade value elsewhere, the discount was so significant on the Gladiator, it was impossible to beat. 400 miles round trip and one pretty awesome Saturday later, here it is. And yes, it's dirty. I asked them not to wash it.

Very nice
The following users liked this post:
iammacey (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:19 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Gladiators start at $33k. The Launch Edition is a fully optioned Rubicon. On the whole, it's comparable to a Tacoma, unless you want more options. Then yes, the price definitely exceeds other trucks in the same segment.
Tacoma Pro stickers for about $45k.

Either way, these trucks are a lot less than a GT4.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:27 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Tacoma Pro stickers for about $45k.

Either way, these trucks are a lot less than a GT4.
Very true. And a Gladiator Rubicon starts at $43,500. The Launch Edition MSRP was $62,310 with only one option available and that was color. Fully optioned to fully optioned, the Gladiator gets expensive, no question. It's crazy money for anything, much less a Jeep. It works though, once you experience it.

Definitely less than the GT4... But not nearly as much fun.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:46 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Very true. And a Gladiator Rubicon starts at $43,500. The Launch Edition MSRP was $62,310 with only one option available and that was color. Fully optioned to fully optioned, the Gladiator gets expensive, no question. It's crazy money for anything, much less a Jeep. It works though, once you experience it.

Definitely less than the GT4... But not nearly as much fun.
Enjoy the truck!

Quick Reply: My new rig - Gladiator Launch Edition