Notices

GT3 to performante

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:21 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SANDIEGO
Thats the one thing that sort of bugs me about the car. I would have preferred a more traditional CF look. Everyone that sees the car for the first time asks about this. I guess it's part of the car's character.
100% prefer regular CF. The forged carbon or whatever gimmicky name they call it is very obviously a cost cutting measure, which looks out of place in a $330k car. Not a fan at all.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Personally, I think the marbled appearance looks outstanding. It is unique and different and is glossy and shiny. It sets it off compared to the standard appearance. It seems to be a delicate topic, but up close I think it looks very beautiful and befits the car. All other vehicles have the same carbon look, barring the colored carbon shades Ferrari produces (maybe others). The character is particular to the car.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by azzurri
Personally, I think the marbled appearance looks outstanding. It is unique and different and is glossy and shiny. It sets it off compared to the standard appearance. It seems to be a delicate topic, but up close I think it looks very beautiful and befits the car. All other vehicles have the same carbon look, barring the colored carbon shades Ferrari produces (maybe others). The character is particular to the car.
I agree with you on this..I think it gives the Performante its own identity and not trying to follow Ferrari and McLaren.It serves the same lightweight and high strength purpose of the more common layered fancy C/F.If it saves a huge wad of money then so what, as if the amount of C/F the Performante has, was layered then the cost would be prohibitive..Its a win win in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 AM
azzurri
Racer

Yes and in my view when you are up close to the front splitter or moreso the wing, it looks like a piece of art.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:47 AM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 360MVA
Compressed composites cost less than using a traditional process and you get similar results for strength and lightweight. Looks are subjective but I agree the traditional weaves looks better.
Yes weaves look better ..When i went to look to buy the huracan a few years back.
Iam like what is this ugly looking carbon...i will not buy screw this car.
They should paint it or only use where it doesn’t show.
UGLY!
Old 04-08-2019, 03:24 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have owned both the 991.2 GT3 and the Performante. They are both incredible cars in their own way. However, in terms of raw speed, cornering and overall performance the Performante is in another league. Having a 640HP V10 NA mid engine along with AWD certainly doesn't hurt. There are few cars that keep up with it either in a straight line or on the track. With that said the GT3 with the manual transmission is the ultimate driver's car. In fact, these are probably the top two cars I have driven. They simply have their own benefits and personalities.
The regular Huracan (which I owned) and the Performante (which a friend owned and I tried) honestly don't feel that fast to me. Yeah they have great launch control, but outside of that they don't feel insanely fast. In fact, I raced my friend's Performante in my GTS cab which at the time only had a stage 1 tune (not even as powerful as Cobb's stage 1), and I kept up with him fine from a rolling start to 100+ mph. From a standing start with launch control he would smoke me with the AWD, but take that out of the equation and it's just another fast-ish car like the rest of them. I certainly don't feel like it's in another league.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
The regular Huracan (which I owned) and the Performante (which a friend owned and I tried) honestly don't feel that fast to me. Yeah they have great launch control, but outside of that they don't feel insanely fast. In fact, I raced my friend's Performante in my GTS cab which at the time only had a stage 1 tune (not even as powerful as Cobb's stage 1), and I kept up with him fine from a rolling start to 100+ mph. From a standing start with launch control he would smoke me with the AWD, but take that out of the equation and it's just another fast-ish car like the rest of them. I certainly don't feel like it's in another league.
OP welcome to the club. Very attractive car.

When the Performante came out - it was the fastest production car around the Nbring - and its NA. Its still #3 on that list as far as i recall. With all due respect - To say its like all the other cars out there is an ignorant statement and a misunderstanding of what the car is intended for. If you are comparing modded straight line monsters to a Performante - then why do that. There are modded TT's that are faster in a straighline. But the Perf is no slouch at 0-60 in 2.5 1/4 mile in the 10's. Throw in some corners and bye bye competition.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 PM
azzurri
Racer

Originally Posted by rodsky

When the Performante came out - it was the fastest production car around the Nbring - and its NA. Its still #3 on that list as far as i recall. With all due respect - To say its like all the other cars out there is an ignorant statement and a misunderstanding of what the car is intended for. If you are comparing modded straight line monsters to a Performante - then why do that. There are modded TT's that are faster in a straighline. But the Perf is no slouch at 0-60 in 2.5 1/4 mile in the 10's. Throw in some corners and bye bye competition.
I'd second that from my point of view. I'm glad some others have diverse interests of how to enjoy their vehicles, but for me it isn't racing another on the road head to head. I think the numbers don't lie, and it is a highly competitive vehicle with an interesting historical pedigree and data point on the Ring. It seems the car, maybe the brand is clearly not for some for the looks, or the feel. But that's the beauty of so many options out there. Pick your wish as you see fit. As has been said millions of times on other threads and on other boards, there are so many good cars out there and more than enough to satisfy any number of individuals looking for an amazing supercar to drive. In my view the car feels very different in terms of driving and handling than a TT/TTS, but it is a different experience altogether from the outside and inside. Not going to say better...that's up to you to decide what your mission profile is for the car.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:32 AM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky

very well put. I know of few cars with the level of performance and as well rounded as the Performante. In street mode the car is as comfortable to drive as my wife’s BMW 5 series.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

very well put. I know of few cars with the level of performance and as well rounded as the Performante. In street mode the car is as comfortable to drive as my wife’s BMW 5 series.
I really like the perf but can't seem to trade from the 720 platform. Right now I am potentially looking at the Evo but I have a 720 Spider inbound. decisions, decisions
Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 AM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Several bone stock Huracans have clocked 10.4@131 . No GTS cab with a tune is keeping up with one.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:55 AM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Allan-BilletDesign
Several bone stock Huracans have clocked 10.4@131 . No GTS cab with a tune is keeping up with one.
Not to mention the 0-60 times have been reported between 2.3-2.4 seconds. Its all about having 640 HP NA mid engine with AWD. But the raw handling of the Performante is its real strength. Don't get me wrong I love 911s having owned six 911 variants over the years including TTs and a 991.2 GT3. The Performante is simply in a different league.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

HP's are great cars, I keep coming back to them but haven't pulled the trigger. I can get an Evo in a few months so kind of torn. Congrats once again.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:59 PM
azzurri
Racer

Originally Posted by 360MVA
HP's are great cars, I keep coming back to them but haven't pulled the trigger. I can get an Evo in a few months so kind of torn. Congrats once again.
I'm sure you'd be happy with the EVO. What is your thought about it? Did you decide or have any choices made so far?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Originally Posted by azzurri
I'm sure you'd be happy with the EVO. What is your thought about it? Did you decide or have any choices made so far?
A new EVO will be similar in price to a slightly used (< 2K miles) HP. However, it really depends on what kind of driving you do. The slightly used HP will be more track capable and will not depreciate as much as a new EVO.

Quick Reply: GT3 to performante