Notices

G550 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 05:08 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default G550 4x4

I could have sworn I've seen posts in this section about the G550 4x4. But my search didn't turn up anything?

Any way, created a new post to see if I could get anyone's opinion on this thing. Give me your $0,02.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2018, 05:41 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Drove the previous amg model... was terribly disappointed by the horrible drive and outdated everything.

The new G looks amazing and everyone is saying the drive has been drastically improved, interior looks awesome, and now it is full of new tech : )
Old 10-15-2018, 06:14 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I LOVE THE 4x4^2
Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 PM
copmagnet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2018 and absolutely love it. It's so fun to drive. The ride is extremely comfortable especially compared to my former G63. And the biggest problem is talking myself out of experimentally driving over stupidly unnecessary things like random curbs, medians, small cars...etc.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:25 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I LOVE THE 4x4^2
CJ...You had one before didn't you? For some reason I thought you did?

You said you loved it, and I can imagine why. That said, I have an opportunity to grab one (out of state) but won't be able to test drive one since there is not one near me.
Do these things drive like ****? Have both an RRover full size and an Escalade at the moment. Does the G550 ride anywhere in between these? Does the engine feel sluggish
for this monstrosity?

If you did have one before, curious as to why you sold it?

Also you have PM.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by copmagnet
I have a 2018 and absolutely love it. It's so fun to drive. The ride is extremely comfortable especially compared to my former G63. And the biggest problem is talking myself out of experimentally driving over stupidly unnecessary things like random curbs, medians, small cars...etc.
So what would you compare to ride quality to be like? I've lined one up but unfortunately don't have one near me to test.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:43 PM
copmagnet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to compare it to something like an Escalade or RR due to air suspension, and because it's an entirely different kind of dynamic all around. But it is a very comfortable, fun ride. Put it this way, some of the worst roads in town are now the funnest roads to drive on because of the way this thing nullifies them. Everyone else will be driving slow, wincing right before each pot hole, and you'll be giggling while passing them and barely feeling it.
The engine is sluggish to get moving from a stop, compared to a regular G, a tune should fix that if necessary.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:10 PM
jeffreestylz
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was lucky enough to pick one up with low mileage and a great price from a private sale a few weeks ago. Having put about 450 miles on it, I can say I love every sec of driving it. IMO, it could've used a bit more power but I don't drive it spirited like I do my RS. I use it to cruise around with family and friends. It is surprisingly very comfortable although I haven't tried "Sports" mode yet. This thing turns heads! I've already been thumbsed-up and horned at by two big rigs while in traffic.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:18 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeffreestylz
I was lucky enough to pick one up with low mileage and a great price from a private sale a few weeks ago. Having put about 450 miles on it, I can say I love every sec of driving it. IMO, it could've used a bit more power but I don't drive it spirited like I do my RS. I use it to cruise around with family and friends. It is surprisingly very comfortable although I haven't tried "Sports" mode yet. This thing turns heads! I've already been thumbsed-up and horned at by two big rigs while in traffic.
How about the obvious impracticalities of a daily usage? Parking is difficult? Getting in and out each time...does it get tiring having to exhaust the effort? Any downsides you can think of (besides gas)?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Parking is the only side but you can just dump it in two spaces and nobody will begrudge you. It's cool as long as you do not get highlighter green
Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

This thing is 88 inches tall so you need an RV garage door to get it in, forget about parking garages. I still love it and once prices come down a bit I'll have one, really love the portal axles get some offroad bits from Brabus or gwagenparts.com and have at her. Jon Olssen has one he tricked out from Brabus and after a couple of months he chopped the top off and made it into a beach wagen.......crazy swede....and I mean that as a complement
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 AM
Desert turbo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really cool car and fun to drive. Needs electric step to make it easy to enter/exit. Very fun to off-road, taken it in the dunes and at 15psi it can pretty go anywhere with triple lockers. Beadlock option and a Ecu flash are on my bucket list.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:12 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by Desert turbo
Really cool car and fun to drive. Needs electric step to make it easy to enter/exit. Very fun to off-road, taken it in the dunes and at 15psi it can pretty go anywhere with triple lockers. Beadlock option and a Ecu flash are on my bucket list.
You have one as well?

Quick Reply: G550 4x4