Notices

Porsche- there is no substitute, but there are alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM
hlc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche- there is no substitute, but there are alternatives

I enjoyed my Gt4 for the past 2 1/2 years driving 10,000 miles on the road and track. Super car- but, I could not dial out the flat spot in the torque curve with the usual mods. This got to me over time. My hopes were to upgrade to the '18 991 Gt3. With a single allocation at each of the local dealers, I was unable to obtain a vehicle. It was becoming a hassle searching nationally so I decided to look at alternatives. I did not think the '18 Audi R8 RWS was track worthy and the trunk is too small to hold a helmet and overnight suitcase. The closest tracks are all over 5 hours drive and I do not trailer. Given the budget for the 991.2 Gt3, I decided to go for a road car and separate track car. I found a 2010 Ferrari 458 with 8k miles, carbon buckets, and 2 yr power train warranty. The car is a work of art and sublime on the road. The V8's glorious and the cabin is airy with a great view- driver focused too. Traded the Gt4 and purchased it one month ago and have really been enjoying the summer. It is Grigio Silverstone so it does not attract as much attention as the Rossa Corsa. In fact the Guards Red Gt4 turned more heads. This is a plus for me. The residual value of the Gt4 was incredible and another factor which helped sway me to trade

With the money left over in the budget, I then started looking for the track car. I go a few times a year with some friends who are more invested in tracking and take trailers with extra tires etc. One of the crew was selling his manual 6 speed 2012 C6 Corvette Grand Sport with 28k miles. It's track ready with Caravaggio sport seats, harness bar, LG motorsport swaybars, DBA rotors, Carbotech pads, and track alignment with Pfdat alignment keys, Comes with an extended factory warranty through 2020 or 61k miles. My understanding is that this model is track focused with dry sump, transmission cooler, and differential cooler. I took it for a spin and really enjoyed the American muscle. It has a good sports car look. I purchased the car and have plans to take it to Barber Motorsports Park in a couple months.

Yes- there are alternatives. I have 2 cars with warranty for 2 years. I am going to enjoy and then see what happens. I love Porsche but it was becoming work trying to get a car. The residual values of the Porsch Gt cars are formidable and make the Porsche purchase easier to justify but sometimes you just have to love the one you're with.

Cheers,
HLC

Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts

Nice Ferrari.....good purchase! Congrats and good luck with it!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I really like Grigio Silverstone on a Ferrari- Congrats
Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations- beautiful car and great American muscle
Look forward to running with you guys at barber and road Atlanta this fall.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yes, I got stood up by my dealer after 10 years.
But I’m in no hurry. If a new RS doesn’t materialize in the next 12 months an AMG GTR or upcoming Black Series is plan B.
a Mustang 350R could work. Maybe a BMW M2 Competition or Camaro.

Corvettes shrunk form C6 to C7 so I don’t fit.

The ADM flipper game takes the fun out of it.
buying a Ferrari and Track ***** sure sounds like fun to me!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:09 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 567 Posts

Congrats on the cars! Ferrari is beautiful. Enjoy!

I had a C6 Z06. First mod was Caravaggio race seats. VERY happy with the seats! The car was a beast. Inexpensive to track (relative to Porsche) and while it was overkill for my needs it was fun and I learned a few things. It carried a fair amount of gear. Loved the rear hatch! Added harness bar, 6 pt Schroth and DBA rotors. Tried different pads - you’ll find plenty of options.

Ended up selling it after I got a Peridot Cayman R and then the Z06 hardly got driven but it was fun while it lasted! Bullet proof and so nice to have plentiful and inexpensive parts (relative to German...). And then the R left when the GT4 arrived. This one is a “keeper” for me but I can appreciate why you opted out.

Sounds like a great solution for your situation.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

congrats, with the sh*t show at PAG/PCNA. i am very tempted by fiat, lambo (god forbid) or mac
Old 08-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Congratulations on your "alternates"!

Just got back from an exhilarating 3 days at PittRace. There were several Corvettes in attendance. There was a pair of Grand Sports, 2016's I believe, that were mildly modded with brakes and safety equipment. With excellent drivers, they were a hoot to play with on track! This would have been my track car choice if I didn't get the GT3 without games.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Money left over? How much was the 458 if you don't mind compared to new average 991.2 gt3? I need to get a 458.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 PM
garudatwo
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I also got bored with playing stupid games, and went American instead.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:30 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by hlc
I enjoyed my Gt4 for the past 2 1/2 years driving 10,000 miles on the road and track. Super car- but, I could not dial out the flat spot in the torque curve with the usual mods. This got to me over time. My hopes were to upgrade to the '18 991 Gt3. With a single allocation at each of the local dealers, I was unable to obtain a vehicle. It was becoming a hassle searching nationally so I decided to look at alternatives. I did not think the '18 Audi R8 RWS was track worthy and the trunk is too small to hold a helmet and overnight suitcase. The closest tracks are all over 5 hours drive and I do not trailer. Given the budget for the 991.2 Gt3, I decided to go for a road car and separate track car. I found a 2010 Ferrari 458 with 8k miles, carbon buckets, and 2 yr power train warranty. The car is a work of art and sublime on the road. The V8's glorious and the cabin is airy with a great view- driver focused too. Traded the Gt4 and purchased it one month ago and have really been enjoying the summer. It is Grigio Silverstone so it does not attract as much attention as the Rossa Corsa. In fact the Guards Red Gt4 turned more heads. This is a plus for me. The residual value of the Gt4 was incredible and another factor which helped sway me to trade

With the money left over in the budget, I then started looking for the track car. I go a few times a year with some friends who are more invested in tracking and take trailers with extra tires etc. One of the crew was selling his manual 6 speed 2012 C6 Corvette Grand Sport with 28k miles. It's track ready with Caravaggio sport seats, harness bar, LG motorsport swaybars, DBA rotors, Carbotech pads, and track alignment with Pfdat alignment keys, Comes with an extended factory warranty through 2020 or 61k miles. My understanding is that this model is track focused with dry sump, transmission cooler, and differential cooler. I took it for a spin and really enjoyed the American muscle. It has a good sports car look. I purchased the car and have plans to take it to Barber Motorsports Park in a couple months.

Yes- there are alternatives. I have 2 cars with warranty for 2 years. I am going to enjoy and then see what happens. I love Porsche but it was becoming work trying to get a car. The residual values of the Porsch Gt cars are formidable and make the Porsche purchase easier to justify but sometimes you just have to love the one you're with.

Cheers,
HLC
458 is an epic car! I think it is just as enjoyable as a GT3 and it sounds better.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:46 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Congrats! It’s sad that the Porsche games have reached this level. It is totally work trying to buy a Porsche nowadays.
I enjoyed my 2 previous 458s, but they weren’t great on the track. Im
glad you found something else for the track.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:49 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

458 are beautiful cars almost bought one just didn't find it engaging enough.
will buy one when they go down more.
when it's a 10 year old car.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Congrats ........did the same last December.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:27 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Have GT3, GT4, 458 and ZR1
RS on the way
458 most epic engine and spectacle
GT3 most connected feel
GT4 (probably) favorite track car with 3 pedals, mid engine, light-ish and "sleeper" power
ZR1 most ridiculous...750hp/tq (with tune, pulley, air intake, LT headers etc...) but a handful on track ....always "under-tired".
Really can't go wrong with any... would love to add a last gen V12 vantage S dogleg, Singer (LOL), or V12 Lusso grocery-getter(getting old)

Quick Reply: Porsche- there is no substitute, but there are alternatives