Notices

OT: My Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:54 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts
Default OT: My Dilemma

First world dilemma but one nonetheless....I'm really struggling with the decision to trade my 458 for a GTC4Lusso....I can't even believe I'm writing that to be honest....I don't really want to but owning two, 2-seat toys is just not practical if I want to get enjoyment out of both of them. With a 3 yr old and 9 month old now last year I struggled to find time to drive the 458. It will only get worse. Having a fun 4 seater to take on everyday errands would be great. I love my Raptor but would love even more to have another option.

I also know there are a ton of 4 set fun options out there, for a lot less money also, but the Ferrari V12 is intoxicating. The reviews on the GTC are all pretty positive and I would look for a year old car to at least ease some of the depreciation pain....

Just an initial thought and I know it will take time to wrap my head around it....
Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

If you want bang for the buck- an FF is a great option. Lusso is the better car but more pricey and depreciation on the v13 Ferrari’s can be a bit brutal.

having said that, I think they are great cars and a ton of fun to drive. I say go for it. You can always get another 458 if you don’t like it.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I can’t imagine comfortably putting two small kids in the back of a four seat Ferrari.

The one to have is the three pedal 612 if you do. (Been looking for years for one).
Old 03-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo? AMG E63 Wagon?
Still fun but entirely practical.

I have the same problem. A just over 3 YO and almost 2 YO.
They fit in my old BMW and it's reasonably fun to drive.
Compromise.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:11 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

There is this man, f1 driver for Ferrari during Fangio time, that owned every sportscar and supercar brand you can imagine, every classic Ferrari that today sell for 3 million plus, and in his words, the FF at the time when it was new, was the best Ferrari that Ferrari ever made.

the gtc4 lusso is an even better ff, but if you don't want to commit so much money on a gtc4 get an ff to test the waters (pretty cheap ones around) and than see where do you stand.

To be very honest at current gt3, rs and gt2 rs prices, if track time wasn't something regular, an f12 would be a unequivocal choice. It's universes apart and for the money today it's a no brainer.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
First world dilemma but one nonetheless....I'm really struggling with the decision to trade my 458 for a GTC4Lusso....I can't even believe I'm writing that to be honest....I don't really want to but owning two, 2-seat toys is just not practical if I want to get enjoyment out of both of them. With a 3 yr old and 9 month old now last year I struggled to find time to drive the 458. It will only get worse. Having a fun 4 seater to take on everyday errands would be great. I love my Raptor but would love even more to have another option.

I also know there are a ton of 4 set fun options out there, for a lot less money also, but the Ferrari V12 is intoxicating. The reviews on the GTC are all pretty positive and I would look for a year old car to at least ease some of the depreciation pain....

Just an initial thought and I know it will take time to wrap my head around it....
Well from your stable history , looks you get the itch every two years or so , and looks like you are due , so I'd say go ahead and scratch it ,
Marketing to Misses much safer hauling the kids around with 4wd and hatch back for groceries ... gotta love the motor !!!
Old 03-10-2018, 12:13 PM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Eric,
i would strongly recommend going for the Lusso. 458 is classic but I personally feel that the technology is getting old. Nothing beats the roar of a v12, and at the same time practicality with peace of mind for warranty on newer vehicles. Correct me if I am wrong, nowadays you need to buy a lusso before getting a build slot for the pista? Hehe
jack
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
If you want bang for the buck- an FF is a great option. Lusso is the better car but more pricey and depreciation on the v13 Ferrari’s can be a bit brutal.

having said that, I think they are great cars and a ton of fun to drive. I say go for it. You can always get another 458 if you don’t like it.
A grown man (not giant) can seat pretty comfortably in the back of an ff. A gtc4 lusso has even more space. If you don't want to go with my word, there is a video from Harry Metcalfe founder of evo magazine going from UK to Switzerland in an FF and he talks about this exact same thing.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Well from your stable history , looks you get the itch every two years or so , and looks like you are due , so I'd say go ahead and scratch it ,
Marketing to Misses much safer hauling the kids around with 4wd and hatch back for groceries ... gotta love the motor !!!
I don't necessarily have the itch for a new car as I just got the RS last summer and by far the best car I've owned. I still love the 458 just wish I had a fun car for the kids. And from all the reviews the back of the Lusso is very practical and most importantly I won't lose the visceral excitement with the Ferrari V12....it's just crazy how expensive the damn thing is. Even with just a few options you're looking at close to $350K MSRP.....

Now the other cars mentioned are great and by far less expensive but I really need something I "want" to drive with the kids and on a Sunday morning by myself. This fits the bill....the V12 screams
Old 03-10-2018, 12:31 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^impressive and great to hear your sentiment on the RS !!! and the .2RS will be incrementally better still , be patient and enjoy the hunt for the Lusso if you can
shoulder , My respect to you to be in the game for it ....
Old 03-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 794 Likes on 368 Posts

Can you snag a Pista allocation by getting the Lusso? If so, then sure!
Old 03-10-2018, 01:07 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Can you snag a Pista allocation by getting the Lusso? If so, then sure!
Not sure and not a lot of interest in it to be honest....would rather have a Speciale.....regardless would look for a 1 year old car as they seem to depreciate about 20% year 1......
Old 03-10-2018, 01:09 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I would go with a used FF...great car and has taken the hit. You can also buy a warranty from Ferrari. I just looked on cars.com there are 25 under $175k.

I also agree there us nothing like a Ferrari V12.

Here is a nice review of the FF...
Old 03-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 86 Posts

with two little kids i'd get an FF and throw a Novitec exhaust on it to soothe them to sleep
Old 03-10-2018, 01:17 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

No Ferrari experience here. What I will say is that the 458 seems to be epic!! I don't think going the direction of a 4 seater fun car is a good approach. None of them will ever replace the 2 seater fun car. You will still lust for the real thing. Also Lusso is not practical for an easy strap a toddler in the back effort everyday.

I had similar thoughts and have a 2 year old and a newborn soon. I got an A6 TDI and I wish I got a SUV for more daily practicality with car seats etc. Toddler seats are huge!! So instead I am keeping and buying fun 2 seater cars and will trade my A6 for SUV. My time will be more limited than currently soon and will enjoy the 2 seat fun when I can and have true daily practicality.

Quick Reply: OT: My Dilemma