Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

2017 Porsche Panamera 4S (971) - PIWIS 3 to buy or not to buy and from who?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024 | 09:15 AM
Steve - Panamera
1st Gear

Default 2017 Porsche Panamera 4S (971) - PIWIS 3 to buy or not to buy and from who?

Hi, I am the proud new owner of a 2017 Porsche Panamera 4S Diesel and I'm looking to keep it long term.
Issue 1 - Rear Spoiler keeps faulting, High Oil level light come on and various spurious faults showing when I plug in a decent diagnostic tool.
Issue 2 - There does not seem to be anything on the market that can code batteries, drive actuators or teach Spoiler limits other than the PIWIS system.
Issue 3 - I read a lot of posts on this site and know that my spoiler issue is not due to leaves or weak motors but appears to be due to the car unlearning the spoiler limits so I need to buy a diagnostic tool capable of teaching the limits to the car. I know this is a functionality of the car software as I can see it in the options list in the Foxwell diagnostic tool we used but could not connect for my 971 version only upto 2017.
Issue 4 - My car is of an age that the battery should have been changed and again threads on here suggested that a failing battery can cause these types of issues. I checked the battery and it appears to be new. Also the amps/Hr rating was 105 where it would appear a OM battery is 95ams/hr. This would suggest that someone has replaced the battery and not coded it to the car.

Question 1 - No you think the battery not being coded and being of a different amp/hr could be causing these problems?
Question 2 - Do I need to replace the battery with a 95Amp/hr or does it just needed coded properly? Everything I read suggests it just need coded so the PCM can set the correct charging rates.
Question 3 - is there any way to confirm idc the battery has been coded correctly without a compatible diagnostic tool?
Question 4 - Can a car enthusiast with a reasonable knowledge of cars use PIWIS software without causing damage to my car (not a software technician or mechanic but I am an electrical/mechanical engineer with a good knowledge of industrial controls) just not an expert on car software.
Question 5 - If I decide to buy PIWIS software, who should I buy it from (tried and trusted) as I have heard a number of horror stories of peoples cars being locked mid coding due to the supplied PIWIS package not being setup correctly before supply.
Finally, If I do buy PIWIS software, which one should I buy - 2,3,4(4 is extremely expensive). I only need it for this model of Porsche as unlikely to change as I love it.

I have heard that VXDAS are a good reputable source but the communications with their Chat site has not instilled me with confidence.

All assistance you can give will be gratefully received.

Steve

Quick Reply: 2017 Porsche Panamera 4S (971) - PIWIS 3 to buy or not to buy and from who?