Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Thoughts on buying with high mileage??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 12:41 AM
15959porsche
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on buying with high mileage??

Hi all, i have been reading this thread for a while and decided to finally reach out for some advice.

We are finally getting our 911, which has been a dream for quite some time. We have been searching for over a month and we are ready to make a decision. We are only looking at 992 models and we found a cab that we really like, however it has about 80k miles on it. It will be bought from a Porsche dealership and will be certified, but since it is a little bit cheaper than the others we’ve seen we want to do more aftermarket mods on it. Would it be worth it or should we just stick with one that is less mileage?? TIA
Old 08-04-2024, 10:02 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

Hello and welcome!

Your question is a difficult one to answer. My first thought is that high mileage really isn’t a big deal for a modern 911, particularly if it’s certified and there’s a warranty to take care of any repairs. How much protection does the warranty give you? I assume it’s a combination of mileage and age. Does it cover you to 100,000 miles? Is it a Porsche CPO program or a third party certification?

My second thought relates to service history. If I was considering purchasing a car with high mileage then I’d want to see service history. Does the seller have any records at all of the maintenance and repair history? Buying a car with high mileage and no documented history presents some additional risk.

If you decide to buy the car, then I’d recommend a thorough pre-purchase inspection (preferably from an independent Porsche mechanic/expert rather than the selling dealership). The “certified” label implies that a car has gone through some kind of inspection and preparation process. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
15959porsche (08-04-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 02:03 AM
15959porsche
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome!!

The car is a part of CPO- 2 years and unlimited mileage, which is pretty good. Since it is coming from a Porsche dealership they were very transparent about all of its history. It actually has one owner and it has stayed in the city we live in. It’s had all of its recommended maintenance and nothing really stood out to me except for minor repairs.
Old 08-05-2024, 09:46 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

If you like the car, then go for it!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on buying with high mileage??