Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

New member with a stupid project!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 08:24 PM
Swaggoner
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New member with a stupid project!

Hello everybody! I’m Scott and just “rescued” a 1987 944 Turbo from my recently widowed neighbor. My first Porsche project! It was her husband’s car and was supposedly running when parked in 1998! Good news, it is straight, complete, original, and was garage parked, so it’s rust free, with surprisingly good paint, and from receipts, it looks like the husband had a good bit of maintenance completed in 1998. Water pump, belts, hoses, brakes pads, the basics. He started the process of stripping and refreshing the phone dial wheels, and well, I guess life got in the way... He never finished the wheels and it hasn’t been started since 1998. In fact, it hasn’t moved since 1998, until my son and I pushed it to my garage. So I purchased the car, stripped and powder coated the wheels and crossed my fingers that the brakes weren’t rusted/locked up. We got lucky and with just a little persuasion, it rolled.
So...it’s in my garage and I’m building my plan... We are replacing timing and balancer belts, pulleys and tensioners. Probably water pump too. I expect the fuel system will be a varnished mess, so I’ll probably drop and clean/seal the tank and move forward from there... I’m sure all the filters and fuel pump are toast, as well as the rubber fuel lines. I’ll use this as an opportunity to replace and reroute the fuel lines away from directly over the exhaust manifold. Despite nearly new pads, the Brake rotors are heavily worn, so I’ll replace the rotors, overhaul the calipers, and probably will have a leaky master cylinder to deal with too. And the ABS cables are literally crumbling as I touch them as well! Cooling system is a mess too. Lots of corrosion on upper hose connections. Also Corrosion at the crimped joint on the radiator, so new radiator and hoses throughout. And the list just keeps getting longer....
Any advise and tips greatly appreciated!

The following 3 users liked this post by Swaggoner:
brianpdx (06-23-2024), Dennis C (06-23-2024), Unibtanium (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 11:05 PM
Unibtanium
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots to unpack after 25 years of sitting but cool project man
The following users liked this post:
Seacraft911 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 04:20 AM
cswingy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Keep us updated on the progress
Old 06-23-2024, 09:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

Enjoy the project!

Quick Reply: New member with a stupid project!