Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Help with 2016 Macan s

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024 | 10:57 PM
ainla
3rd Gear

Angry Help with 2016 Macan s

Please excuse this very tedious post. I don't know what to do about my car situation and really would appreciate any guidance. I need to make a decision soon. I need a car for work and I'm a single mom in Los Angeles going through some financial issues. To top it off, I just got a job in Beverly Hills so I need not only a reliable car but one with some cache. Please help!!!!

I bought a 2016 Macon S with an extended warranty through 100k, which I just passed.

In 2022 and 23 it had some slippages, but when I took it to the dealer they were unable to recreate the issues and it was not taken care of by Porsche.

In 2024, everything started falling apart. Oil leaks, radiator leaks.

In April 2024 I took it for a road trip and the suspension was miserable and the ride was painful. It felt like bone on bone. I took it to my local mechanic and he replaced 8 arms with after-market ones and said that the bushings were gone.

He also fixed a bunch of other things like brake pads, and air suspension. It cost 2k. It had just been in the shop before I left too, for $800.

He’s a good guy and I trust (ed) him implicitly.

I took my car home and within 48 hours it had pooped out quite dangerously, giving this message.

Of course, it just passed the threshold of no longer being under warranty.
What happened was, I drove it locally for school drop-off and pick-up without incident - 5 miles each way. The next day I drove 10 miles, an hour one way. I noticed that it was hiccuping and lurching during the stop-and-go traffic.

When I got on the freeway, the error light came on.

I was late for a drs appointment. Although I was flooring it, the engine was unresponsive. I was scared.

By the time I exited the freeway, I got onto a four-lane road and my car stopped completely. I turned it off and luckily was able to restart and get into a hospital parking lot. I could not reverse it. When I got out of my appointment, I drove very slowly to my mechanic’s with my boyfriend on the call ready to pick me up.

From there, I took it to my Porsche dealer hoping for leniency and that they might try to sneak the transmission issue in through the last ticket….however they came back with this diagnosis:

pdtlaca.mkvwa38.com/p/y8z1yl.html

Porsche said that my car is not drivable and they can not even test drive it to determine the transmission issues but estimate 25-35k. Meanwhile, the frame damage is 14k?

My local mechanic states that it’s just Porsche trying to slither away from any obligation.

Both my independent mechanic and the service manager at Porsche suggest I trade my car in now while I can.

My independent mechanic says that he can locate a replacement spindle for the cracked piece.

I don’t know anything about this but I’m really upset that this is happening right after I paid my car off and right after the extended warranty. I am not sure if this is accurate or just a coincidence, but it feels that the damage to my frame happened right after the work was done to it. Right after they were changing all those arms and the suspension, the damage occurred because they were crawling all over it several times in the last year.

Also, right after it had all that work done was when the transmission started lurching. Am I wrong to assume there is any connection?
Am I wrong to think I have any other option than to get rid of my car and cut my losses?

My ind. mechanic says I can replace the spindling for $600 and he could locate a used transmission for 3k and swap it and I could get another 2-3 years out of my car but he said they become money pits after 100k.

I also have a bike rack and a toe feature I just added. I love the power and growl but need a reliable car. It's painful to have to go back to an ordinary car when I got used to driving a Porsche. I really appreciate the ride and the craftsmanship but I don't appreciate the transmission issues. I would love some feedback regarding whether I should separate the frame issue and the transmission....I have some friends who could help me push the transmission issue to someone's attention if I could find some justification. The fact that it slipped or hiccuped more than a year earlier was something. The service manager was telling me that they are not allowing customers to tell their stories or even share videos or photos. They must be recreated in the Porsche shops. That seems a little suspicious to me. Please help me understand the issues at play here. Thank you. I'm dealing with a lot of other conflicts in my life in other areas like housing and medical but don't want to throw in the towel if I shouldn't.

Old 05-30-2024 | 11:48 AM
MacanOrMacon
6th Gear

Sorry to hear this. Any idea what caused it?

Quick Reply: Help with 2016 Macan s