Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

991.2 TTS -vs- 992 TT -vs- GTS / Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024 | 09:56 AM
Pasma
2nd Gear

Default 991.2 TTS -vs- 992 TT -vs- GTS / Carrera T

Hi All,

Brand new to the forum, so apologies if this has already been covered. I’m looking to buy my first 911 and am having a real dilemma. My budget is circa £100k and I’m currently looking at a 2017 991.2 TTS with 20,000 miles on the clock. I’m one of an odd breed who can afford to buy this sort of car, but that want something that won’t depreciate too much as I’ve always been really careful with my cash. Anyway, given everything I’ve read on the various threads on here, I don’t think that, from a driving/performance, I’ll regret buying a 991.2 TTS. My real question is what is people’s views are on future depreciation on this sort of vehicle? Appreciate that this is a bit of crystal ball question, but would really appreciate any words of wisdom that anyone has. Also, rather than going for a 991.2 TTS am I better off trying to find an extra £20k-£30k and buying a 992 TT? Again, not sure how 992 TT prices will hold up over time? Other than a newer (and, arguably, nicer) interior, not sure if there’s a noticeable difference between them dynamically or in terms of performance. I’d love PCCB, but this is not essential. Just to confuse myself even further, I’m also thinking of maybe a 992 GTS manual or Carrera T manual. Obviously much slower than the vehicles already mentioned above, but these appeal to my ‘careful with my cash’ mentality as I think that the residuals on these will be much better over time. Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2024 | 04:22 PM
Jordan Kolins
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pasma
Hi All,

Brand new to the forum, so apologies if this has already been covered. I’m looking to buy my first 911 and am having a real dilemma. My budget is circa £100k and I’m currently looking at a 2017 991.2 TTS with 20,000 miles on the clock. I’m one of an odd breed who can afford to buy this sort of 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 car, but that want something that won’t depreciate too much as I’ve always been really careful with my cash. Anyway, given everything I’ve read on the various threads on here, I don’t think that, from a driving/performance, I’ll regret buying a 991.2 TTS. My real question is what is people’s views are on future depreciation on this sort of vehicle? Appreciate that this is a bit of crystal ball question, but would really appreciate any words of wisdom that anyone has. Also, rather than going for a 991.2 TTS am I better off trying to find an extra £20k-£30k and buying a 992 TT? Again, not sure how 992 TT prices will hold up over time? Other than a newer (and, arguably, nicer) interior, not sure if there’s a noticeable difference between them dynamically or in terms of performance. I’d love PCCB, but this is not essential. Just to confuse myself even further, I’m also thinking of maybe a 992 GTS manual or Carrera T manual. Obviously much slower than the vehicles already mentioned above, but these appeal to my ‘careful with my cash’ mentality as I think that the residuals on these will be much better over time. Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the froum
Old 04-07-2024 | 10:39 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the forums!

I also appreciate being careful with cash, but if we’re honest about it then we’d admit that buying a Porsche 911 is more about emotion than saving money. You buy a 911 because you want the car and the Porsche experience. If you were being truly careful with cash, then you’d buy a Prius or some similar “driving appliance”. Don’t take the fun out of buying a 911 - buy what your heart tells you!

The cars you mentioned in your post offer very different driving experiences. I’d suggest that you try to drive various models to decide what you like. Obviously a slightly older car has already taken the hit on depreciation isn’t likely to lose as much value as a newer car. Porsches that are more unique or more limited in terms of production tend to hold their value pretty well.

If you’re looking for maximum bang for your buck with limited depreciation, then the 991.2 TTS seems like a good choice.
Old 04-07-2024 | 11:39 AM
Pasma
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Welcome to the forums!

I also appreciate being careful with cash, but if we’re honest about it then we’d admit that buying a Porsche 911 is more about emotion than saving money. You buy a 911 because you want the car and the Porsche experience. If you were being truly careful with cash, then you’d buy a Prius or some similar “driving appliance”. Don’t take the fun out of buying a 911 - buy what your heart tells you!

The cars you mentioned in your post offer very different driving experiences. I’d suggest that you try to drive various models to decide what you like. Obviously a slightly older car has already taken the hit on depreciation isn’t likely to lose as much value as a newer car. Porsches that are more unique or more limited in terms of production tend to hold their value pretty well.

If you’re looking for maximum bang for your buck with limited depreciation, then the 991.2 TTS seems like a good choice.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond Dennis and for your words of wisdom. You’re absolutely right and, in some way, I think I already knew the answer(s) but needed someone else to confirm. I think my biggest problem is that I am generally led by my head which is probably why I’m trying to ‘get my head round’ making a decision with my heart (if that makes sense!). Funnily enough, I drove a manual GTS only this morning and while it’s a great car, it doesn’t give me the same sort of ‘tingle’ of the bonkers acceleration of the TTS.

Thanks again and I think it’s going to be 991.2 TTS all the way.

Last edited by Pasma; 04-07-2024 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quick Reply: 991.2 TTS -vs- 992 TT -vs- GTS / Carrera T