Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

The Journey Begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023 | 08:16 AM
sparsh319
5th Gear

Default The Journey Begins

Hello Everyone,

Very happy to have found this forum. My name is Sparsh and I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I'm looking into buying my very first sports car and a couple of used Porsche model are on the list. Porsche Boxster (981) 2.7 2016 is one option and the other is a 2013 Porsche Cayman 287.2 PDK Coupe.

I've only ever owned Japanese vehicles so my biggest concern obviously is with the reliability of non-japanese brands. Whatever I choose to go with in the end will not be a daily driver but more of a car that I take with me on short holidays out of town. I definitely don't intend to take the car to a track either. My nightmare scenario is being one of those guys on the side of the highway with a broken down sports car, something I've seen all too often in this country. If anyone has any advice on which of these two vehicles would be more reliable and what the maintenance costs are like I would be most grateful.

Looking forward to any responses and opinions i can get to help me make an informed decision.
Old 11-14-2023 | 09:18 AM
TEF
Instructor

Having owned a 987 BS and now a 981 BS, I can say that the newer version is definitely a much better car. Specifically, the 987 and 981 share very few parts and the common 987 issues (IMS and bore scoring) are rarely or never topics in this the 981 forum. Even the styling is changed for the best. The 981 Boxster design presents a car that one can tell the front from the rear rather than that of the 987 where one may have trouble distinguishing which end he/she is viewing. The driving experience is also much better in the 981. If I were in your place, I would go for the 981 and spare myself any buyer's remorse.

Quick Reply: The Journey Begins