Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Quietest Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 08:22 PM
QuietCars
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quietest Boxster

Hello, I would like to know which Boxster is quietest, especially at highway speed. I know most people want to hear the car, but I have tinnitus and noise makes it worse. (I am actually looking forward to the electric Boxster!-)
I will drive the car on the road around town with the top down, but the Boxster's primary purpose is autocross and track days with my son who has a track modified Miata. The Miata is great fun, but it is too noisy, especially at highway speeds. I wear noise cancelling headphones in cars (even my Tesla) and in the Miata I use earplugs too, but the buffeting in the Miata overpowers the ear protection.
I test drove a 718 Boxster S (top up) and it was definately quieter than the Miata, but it was still loud with road noise at highway speed. (The Soundaktor thing was still connected.) It did not buffet like the Miata though, so the noise cancelling headphones with earplugs worked pretty well. Would disconnecting the Soundaktor make a significant difference?
I am considering 987.2, 981, and 718 Boxsters and would like to know if anyone has experience as to which is the quietest at highway speeds There are no Boxsters other than the one I test drove around here, so I can't really find out for myself. I am leaning towards an S model for the 987.2 or 981 for the torque and power on the track. Anyone have experience as to which models are quietest on the highway (on the three hour drive to the track)?
Is a car with PSE quieter when it is in quiet mode than the base exhaust?
(Maybe I can run that Soundaktor with the wires crossed for noise cancellation!-)
Thanks

Quick Reply: Quietest Boxster