Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Hello from Norcal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 03:21 AM
jliang
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hello from Norcal!

Hi everyone! Longtime lurker but decided to finally register an account. I'm an aerospace engineer living in the SF Bay area and I drive a Palm Green 987 Boxster S. Excited to be more involved in the PCar community and to get to know everyone!

Stay well!

Old 04-24-2022, 02:54 AM
LeadFootLad
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there fellow NorCal newbie. I'm new to this as well. Nice ride. Dig the color. I've always been partial to gray, green or brown cars. Back in July I decided 50 is old enough, what am I waiting for. At 5 years, other kids playing with Hot-wheels tricked out with flames and oversized rims, while I fell in love with a gray over cognac interior Porsche 911 Matchbox car. Fast forward 40+ years, on the 101 traffic crawling from SF heading north and I'm drooling at a Panamera Turismo beside me. I could fit my dogs in...the practicality tipped the scale. During my search, I kept an eye peeled for a Mamba Green but no luck.

I have a place in SF as well as up north in Sonoma county. I'll keep an eye out for your green.
Best of Luck, happy trails,

JAS
Old 04-25-2022, 12:01 AM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 318 Posts

Welcome.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:34 PM
arod2051
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome! I’m from Morgan Hill (10 South of San Jose).
Old 04-26-2022, 02:32 AM
jliang
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadFootLad
Hey there fellow NorCal newbie. I'm new to this as well. Nice ride. Dig the color. I've always been partial to gray, green or brown cars. Back in July I decided 50 is old enough, what am I waiting for. At 5 years, other kids playing with Hot-wheels tricked out with flames and oversized rims, while I fell in love with a gray over cognac interior Porsche 911 Matchbox car. Fast forward 40+ years, on the 101 traffic crawling from SF heading north and I'm drooling at a Panamera Turismo beside me. I could fit my dogs in...the practicality tipped the scale. During my search, I kept an eye peeled for a Mamba Green but no luck.

I have a place in SF as well as up north in Sonoma county. I'll keep an eye out for your green.
Best of Luck, happy trails,

JAS
Thank you for the welcome! Grey and Green are pretty up there for me too. What colour did you end up getting your Panamera in? Would love to see you on the PCH sometime. Stay well!

Originally Posted by Cyclman
Welcome.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by arod2051
Welcome! I’m from Morgan Hill (10 South of San Jose).
Thanks so much for the welcome! Been down there a lot for my previous work, had a test site past Gilroy. Beautiful area. Hope to see you around sometime!
Old 05-05-2022, 08:32 PM
LeadFootLad
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, it had never occurred to me until reading your reply: I've lived in SF for 25 or so years and have never had anyone use the term PCH. Everyone has referred to it as the 1. I grew up in Southern California, Huntington Beach to be exact and spent a good portion of my adolescence either on or around PCH. And as I type this, I'm having a flashback to a memory I have of PCH which I hadn't thought about in years: When I was 18yo, I had a horrible accident on PCH between Newport and Laguna Beach. It was raining, I hydroplaned on a decline curve, over into oncoming traffic and hit a FourRunner head on. I was jacked up. I son't recall the accident it self, but I do recall the fireman waking me up and telling me they were bringing in "the Jaws of Life". I responded with, "Oh, I'm fine, I just need to stand up and stretch a bit. I think I pulled a muscle in my leg" He looked at me and said "son, your leg is broken, you aren't getting up". Then I turned and noticed my right leg was laying across the center console toward the passenger seat. It was still connected, but clearly broken. The impact sent the engine into the footwell and my leg was locked so hard on the brake trying to stop the car, that my femur broke in half and the lower half was thrown back out of the footwell. This was before airbags, so my shirts were ripped through by the seat belt, my face and head hit the steering wheel and my hands both hit the windshield as it was being pushed back by the hood which folded up in half.
OK, that was overshare. My bad, I just kept typing as I recalled it and it seems a shame to just delete it all.

Anywho, My Pano is Carrera White. The next to last color I ever thought I'd own, but there it is. The car is my 50th birthday gift to myself and unfortunate timing between the sale of my 2018 Volvo wagon and Porsche search was just as the car shortage was setting in. Both because the preowned sales manager at Porsche Marin was a truly specimen grade ******* and I wanted a specific set of options, I had to search nationwide. Early in the search, I found the car I wanted but it was sold right out from under me. Then the asking prices started creeping up. The car I went with was at an exotics specialty place near Chicago and the shortage hadn't yet effected the pricing for higher end cars but would in a matter of days/weeks. I ended up getting a decent deal, way more car than I planned. I was looking for a 4S and this was a pretty close to loaded Turbo still under the new vehicle warranty and had two additional years of CPO warranty to boot. So I figured I could live with the White. The more I look at it, I actually find for this body style the only two colors that have really knocked my socks off are this Carrera White and even more so in the Carmine Red. There's something about the rear fender flare and curves to the car that read better in a lighter, bold color.
Fast forward to now, without going into the long convoluted story, it's taking everything I've got to keep myself feeling positive about the purchase. I've been blindsided some odd history surrounding the car and the revelation that it's been flagged with what is called a Blocking Indicator added to the vehicle profile, within the Porsche North America system. So far I've learned there are different codes corresponding to various scenarios ie stolen car, salvage rebuild, etc. Unfortunately and surprisingly, when asked for definitions or further information, the people I've dealt with so far at Porsche have been rather evasive and in some cases blatantly misleading on the subject. It's truly bizarre and a bummer to say the least. I'm beside myself by the way it's all going down. It gives the vibe as if I'm being punished for purchasing from a non-Porsche brand dealership. I just completed an arbitration with them and won. They were ordered to execute a short list of warranty repairs, but still no exact definition or clarity regarding the Blocking Indicator. I'm at the point of retaining council. But every experienced auto lawyer I've spoken to so far are interested in Lemon Law cases only. So my search continues.

Damn, reading back, all this sounds messy and depressing. First world problems, right?

Back to PCH. My place up north is in Cazadero and not far from PCH. I've only driven that route a couple of times. Once or twice I was forced to due to fires. And when it's not closed due to slides, the Sunday traffic, winding and slower speed limits, it took so much longer to get to SF, I really never take that route. I've a neighbor up north here with a beautiful red Ferrari California which he takes PCH back to his home in SF every Sunday evening. If you're on PCH and see him, tell him to shut his Chuaua up. It's like 20 years old, name is Chica and barks at dust, air, sunlight, you name it. It's annoying as all hell.

Cheers!
JAS

Quick Reply: Hello from Norcal!