Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Obligatory new guy post

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 02:43 PM
hoofdpijn
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Obligatory new guy post

Hi All,

New member and first time Porsche owner here. Been in my 996 C2 base for about three weeks but haven't put a lot of miles on due to the unknown status of the IMS. I have an appointment with Mayo Performance in Euless, TX who are the only certified IMS Solution installer in the state as far I know. I'm hoping for a good pre-qualification on both the IMS and the bore scoring situation with the car. It's only showing 48K on the odometer but from what I gather, mileage is not really a factor in any of the things that can make these engines go boom. The rest of the car is clean as can be and could easily be mistaken for new so fingers crossed on the engine.

I have always been a car guy, but in school when all my friends were talking about Camaros and Mustangs I was talking Spitfires, X1/9s, MGs and Healey's. Have never really considered myself a Porsche "guy" but have always admired them figuring they would perpetually be out of budget for me. The first new car that I ever bought was a 1992 Miata which gave me all of the Spitfire/MG fun without having to keep a rock handy for convincing the fuel pump to run for another couple of days. I drove that MX-5 for 20 years until someone ran me off the road and ripped the suspension out from under it. It didn't take much to total a 20 year old Miata. Flash forward 10 years and a few boring cars and I've ended up with an '04 996 in the garage. I've been hanging around in here for bit reading about things prior to purchase and thought I had a handle on what I'd need to be wary of with the M96 but I somehow missed out on how serious the bore scoring issue seems to be. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have upped the budget and bought a Turbo with its relatively worry free Mezger engine.

Anyway, nobody's fault but my own for getting taken by surprise. In any case I will go on record as saying... I . Love. This. Car. I've never felt so immediately at home in anything I've ever driven. The 996 for me, and many others I gather, is the perfect blend of modern and analog driving. Steering, braking the noises it makes...sublime. I certainly understand now why so many love them. I absolutely adore it and I'm praying to the Porsche gods that my Prequal and IMS solution over at Mayo is a success. Not sure what I'm going to do if it isn't or even what my options will be.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for reading! See ya'll around the forum!
Old 04-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Momentum Worx
Former Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome!

Great looking 996 - if you ever need anything for it, performance-wise, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Quick Reply: Obligatory new guy post