Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

New to Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021 | 05:46 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Default New to Porsche!

Hi all,
I am currently shopping for my first Porsche. I'm coming from the latest muscle coupes (2015 Mustang GT in SCCA CAM-C), and previous to that FWD Hondas, just for some context. I am 100% sure that I will be buying a Porsche within the next 2 months or so, but I am torn on exactly what to get. The one thing I do know for sure, is that I absolutely need to drive a few of these cars before making my decision.

Car usage:
Daily Driver (but with regular work-from-home for the forseeable future, I don't HAVE to drive it every day), but no kids, and my commute to my office is only 14 miles round trip
Competitive SCCA street class autocross car, about 10-15 events per year, and nationals
The occasional Tracksprint/Trackcross and HPDE event, but these are more for fun - my eggs are in the AutoX basket mainly

Budget: $30-40k, but could float a little higher for the right car

From what I've seen, this puts me squarely in a 987.1 Cayman S, or maybe a 987.2 S for the rare few that are available. A 981 S is also possible but barely in the box. There's a strong emotional appeal to look at a 911, but based on the last 3 years of SCCA Solo nationals results, the 997 C2/C2S do not seem to be competitive, as there are none in all of SS or AS. Is my assertion correct on the non-GT3 911?

Am I drawing the right conclusions based on my parameters? Should I increase my budget to go for a 981 S (thus leaving a little less for tires, fees, mods, other fun)?

Anything else I should know or consider before buying my first Porsche? I also posted this in the Autocross section for a more focused discussion

Quick Reply: New to Porsche!