Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

New Member / 1st Time Owner / 1984-944-AT

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020 | 02:33 PM
JSmith85
AutoX

Default New Member / 1st Time Owner / 1984-944-AT

Hello all,

Im new to the community and a first time Porsche owner. I’ve been watching this car community for years and always wondered what the fuss was all about, now I get it. I just purchased a 1984-944-A/T in Sable Brown. The car was in a used car lot in downtown LA behind a bunch of junkers under under a freeway overpass. There is an off engine noise that I need to diagnose, but the price was right to justify the gamble.

I know for many that an A/T would be a non-starter, but I’m a dad and husband and have no need for speed. I’m looking for a weekend cruiser and a project car to teach my daughter (and myself) about wrenching.

After jumping this car, towing it 100 miles through Friday LA traffic and buying a new battery, I’m so happy I made this purchase. The car is in AMAZING condition. The body and paint a great, not perfect, the interior is clean with very little distress other than the dash, which is cracked and covered. Almost all the electronics work, windows, radio, sunroof, etc. the switch for the tailgate lift is missing, the tailgate struts no longer hood up the hatch (how do I fix without pulling the window apart?), and the hood pully is detached from the side wall but still works.

There is one looming problem though and it’s the noise under the hood. I’m going to post a video here in case someone can get me asking the right questions on where to start diagnosing. I have a friend coming by who specializes in German autos, but I’d like to have a cursory idea of what I’m looking for.

Thank you all for your help, now and into the future. I’m new to the mechanics life, but I’m quick to learn and capable with my hands. Please refrain from too many acronyms unless it’s qualified in context so I can look it up. Suggestions on parts sourcing is welcome, but I will also be scouring the forums since I’m sure the info is out there.

I know I need to do a timing belt and water pump job ASAP, and by the sound of it this should be a pop-up sign under the hood every time you open it. If someone could point me towards the best source for parts and a good how-to video that would be great.

I’ll keep posting some photos for all to see. And try and figure out how to upload a video of the engine noise. I’ve also put this post in the 944 forum for further discussion.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New Member / 1st Time Owner / 1984-944-AT