Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Trying to help my old man out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 05:24 PM
SLO_GTI
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to help my old man out...

Hello everyone. As per my name, I am not a Porsche owner. However, I like to wrench on German metal when I can, normally my '07 GTI. Yes, I am also young and new to a lot of this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in advance.

Now that's out of the way, I'll try to cut to the chase as soon as I can. Basically, the rundown is this; my dad just bought a 2008 Porsche Cayman Base, and it's in pretty good shape from my experience of looking at it and driving it. We noticed a few parts are missing, nothing too important, but since this is his first real sports car, we're trying to get things squared away, properly. The car means a lot to him and I want to help him out.

I work in an auto parts store, and obviously I don't sell Porsche parts working at a Car Quest, but as I've said I own a GTI, and I'd like to think I've gotten decent at finding parts (online or wherever) these days.

However, I'm noticing a lot of the smaller details about these cars are very difficult to find. Things like the "Cayman" inlay for the scuff cover at the bottom of the door sill, the "*****" for the battery cowl, etc. So far I managed to find the wiper arm caps, and a right door slot cap from Pelican Parts and ECS Tuning. So, here's what I still need help with:
  • The trunk lid rotary **** for the roadside toolkit panel (I found a grey one on ECS Tuning, but it's not black and it's also $30+)
  • Door sill silver "Cayman" inlay
  • Battery cowl plastic "****" key-type deal. Can't seem to find this one anywhere online.
If anyone has any advice as to where they find their odds & ends for these cars, I would greatly appreciate the help. I'm not sure if there's a website I don't know about, or if everyone who responds to this post is going to tell me to hit the road and find a junkyard 987.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me help my dad out ✌
Old 06-01-2020, 05:39 PM
SLO_GTI
5th Gear

Also sorry for asking technical questions in my post, I normally lurk in forums and I'm still getting used to using them.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:45 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Bravo! Thanks for helping your Dad with his Cayman (just be sure to take a spin in it too )

If you can't find the parts you need in these forums https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-classifieds-136/........
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/ You can always ask here: https://rennlist.com/forums/stuff-wa...assifieds-137/. And, since there are VERY few Pcars that have not been modded in some way ~ which is what makes each one unique ~ be sure to ask here: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...nerations-126/

Welcome to Rennlist, where having a Porsche means you are family
The following users liked this post:
SLO_GTI (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 03:49 PM
SLO_GTI
5th Gear

Thanks for the pointers. We are slowly repairing little missing cosmetic pieces here and there, and it's coming along pretty well.

That said, if you or anyone else knows where to find plastic fasteners for Porsches, I'd like to know. We still have a few odds & ends that aren't easy to find online.

For the time being, I'll check out the marketplace.

Quick Reply: Trying to help my old man out...