Notices

weekend meet????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 07:03 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Lets plan on Saturday at 10am. We can also set up something for next weekend also. Let's make a list of who will be there.

1.) ryguy993
2.)
Old 08-24-2010 | 09:10 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryguy993
Lets plan on Saturday at 10am. We can also set up something for next weekend also. Let's make a list of who will be there.

1.) ryguy993
2.)
Where in RI? Not sure yet about this weekend, next weekend is looking better for me, but I'd need to know where no matter what. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010 | 09:24 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by mickfluff
how about next sunday.... like the idea, cars and coffee in RI, but also a little scenic cruise so would like to suggest Newport...

Thoughts...
Cars and Coffee in RI sounds great. I like the idea of a cruise, but I'm not so sure about a cruise in Newport. The last 2 car cruises I went on in Newport were mostly stop and go traffic, which wasn't too thrilling for those that have manual transmissions. So maybe just use Newport as a starting or finishing point for a cruise, or maybe a cruise in Newport in late Sept when there are fewer tourists.
Old 08-24-2010 | 10:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm for a drive this weekend. Where and when? Suggest we find some less travelled back roads or just park the car. Heavy/Slow Traffic equals no fun and leg cramps!
Old 08-25-2010 | 10:46 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default ?

Did you cruise Newport on a sunday or sat morning and really get that blown up?....

Friday at 5pm its a mess etc...and other high traffic times are tough etc I agree but sunday mornings 10am ish are a breeze, no one is out and very nice ride with little stop and go and I have a nice well mapped out run with only a few lights and stop signes over a 10mile ride...

would be nice to get on some open roads maybe to Jamestown etc... although we know the road leading to is always riddled with speed raps...

Originally Posted by Dino944
Cars and Coffee in RI sounds great. I like the idea of a cruise, but I'm not so sure about a cruise in Newport. The last 2 car cruises I went on in Newport were mostly stop and go traffic, which wasn't too thrilling for those that have manual transmissions. So maybe just use Newport as a starting or finishing point for a cruise, or maybe a cruise in Newport in late Sept when there are fewer tourists.
Old 08-25-2010 | 10:53 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default in for week end meet and what about this?

up for a quick low turn out week end RI meet and ride this week end so add me to the list...

That said, how about getting a nice group of us committed to an event and rally up to CT and attend the below event... this group always puts on top notch car rallys... Sept 19nth Foxwoods www.supercarroadtrips.com Really hoping to get a nice RI group to head up... we have a few of us already going from RI. Let me know if interested.

sign in: http://www.supercarroadtrips.com/rsvp9.html
Old 08-25-2010 | 12:12 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Did you cruise Newport on a sunday or sat morning and really get that blown up?....

Friday at 5pm its a mess etc...and other high traffic times are tough etc I agree but sunday mornings 10am ish are a breeze, no one is out and very nice ride with little stop and go and I have a nice well mapped out run with only a few lights and stop signes over a 10mile ride...

would be nice to get on some open roads maybe to Jamestown etc... although we know the road leading to is always riddled with speed raps...
One drive was on a Sunday morning the other on a Saturday very early afternoon, it was brutal stop and go. Maybe we were just unlucky. However, on each occasion it took forever to get past the mansions and Ocean Drive was very slow going...mostly stop and go traffic puttering around and occasionally getting into second gear.

Whatever routes people want to cruise are fine, but my vote would be for less touristy/less traffic prone roads.
Old 08-25-2010 | 12:29 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

One drive was on a Sunday morning the other on a Saturday very early afternoon, it was brutal stop and go. Maybe we were just unlucky. However, on each occasion it took forever to get past the mansions and Ocean Drive was very slow going...mostly stop and go traffic puttering around and occasionally getting into second gear.

Whatever routes people want to cruise are fine, but my vote would be for less touristy/less traffic prone roads.
I hope this happens I'm going to try my best to make it, just please post where its going to be (start, meet up, etc). Newport is great but if you catch traffic, it sucks. Jamestown is less traffic but a lot smaller, although ending up at Ft Wetherill or Beavertail in Jamestown would be a perfect place to park the cars and stretch the legs. I do agree on the mornings though, that is your chance to have traffic free driving, after 12pm Newport is stop and go. Maybe someone who is good with mapping out routes could help, but I know that Rt 102 to Rt 2 heading towards Exeter/Western Kingstown leading to Matunuck area off of Rt 1 offers nice open roads, that is usually traffic free, and who knows it could end up with us at Matunuck Oyster Bar?? But maybe thats too much, we need to at least get the meet down first and exchange numbers etc.
Old 08-25-2010 | 03:00 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default what week end

what week end? if it was a week end of the music festival I can agree 100%, it didn't matter what time of day it was busy!....Jazz and Folk fest both were crazy. That said, ocean drive and the mansion road is the worse during those weeks as that is where the festival is on fort Adams etc... anyway I do see your concern. But beyond the week ends where a huge festival is in town/city I have yet to get crushed in the am hours... if we did 9am it is a ghost town

would be good to see you Dino, been a while... you bringing the RS or the F car?

Old 08-25-2010 | 04:42 PM
Dino944
Drifting

what week end? if it was a week end of the music festival I can agree 100%, it didn't matter what time of day it was busy!....Jazz and Folk fest both were crazy. That said, ocean drive and the mansion road is the worse during those weeks as that is where the festival is on fort Adams etc... anyway I do see your concern. But beyond the week ends where a huge festival is in town/city I have yet to get crushed in the am hours... if we did 9am it is a ghost town

would be good to see you Dino, been a while... you bringing the RS or the F car?
Hey Steve,

I'd be bringing the RS. I spent a lot of time with the Fcar getting it ready for a show (it got 1st in its class), then I was traveling, so the RS hasn't had any recent outings. Besides if I'm going to a largely Porsche outing, it would be nice for the RS to see some of its siblings

This weekend isn't looking great for me. Next weekend would work if anyone wanted to do cars/coffee either next Sat or Sunday AM.
Old 08-25-2010 | 05:02 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
I hope this happens I'm going to try my best to make it, just please post where its going to be (start, meet up, etc). Newport is great but if you catch traffic, it sucks. Jamestown is less traffic but a lot smaller, although ending up at Ft Wetherill or Beavertail in Jamestown would be a perfect place to park the cars and stretch the legs. I do agree on the mornings though, that is your chance to have traffic free driving, after 12pm Newport is stop and go. Maybe someone who is good with mapping out routes could help, but I know that Rt 102 to Rt 2 heading towards Exeter/Western Kingstown leading to Matunuck area off of Rt 1 offers nice open roads, that is usually traffic free, and who knows it could end up with us at Matunuck Oyster Bar?? But maybe thats too much, we need to at least get the meet down first and exchange numbers etc.
Sounds like some good possibilities.

Now we just need people to choose a date, a place and a time.
As mentioned previously, next weekend is much better for me.
Old 08-26-2010 | 11:06 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Ok, Lets plan a meeting point for Saturday morning (10:00 ish). Newport will most likely be busy on a saturday morning so maybe meet at a Starbucks somewhere else and then plan a drive through newport or surrounding areas... Jamestown, kingston, etc..

I know there is a Starbucks in downtown wakefield that has a very large parking lot and then we could drive the 10 - 15 minutes to newport area. Let me know if that is good for everyone or if there are any other ideas for a meeting point.

The weather is supposed to be great on Saturday so , why pass up the chance for a drive??

Keep me posted,
Ryan
Old 08-27-2010 | 06:33 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default car event in newport sat....

Grenons of Newport is hosting a car / watch event.... on bellevue ave in newport. Aston Martin will be there and some cars + I am meeting another small Porsche Group there at 11ish... large parking lot across the street and sure to have some cool cars there and some great time pieces... starts at 10am to 5pm....perfect fit to a Porsche ride IMO...

I am up for meeting a group in newport across from Grenons at 10am or 11am ..... let me know.

http://www.grenonsofnewport.com/

Originally Posted by ryguy993
Ok, Lets plan a meeting point for Saturday morning (10:00 ish). Newport will most likely be busy on a saturday morning so maybe meet at a Starbucks somewhere else and then plan a drive through newport or surrounding areas... Jamestown, kingston, etc..

I know there is a Starbucks in downtown wakefield that has a very large parking lot and then we could drive the 10 - 15 minutes to newport area. Let me know if that is good for everyone or if there are any other ideas for a meeting point.

The weather is supposed to be great on Saturday so , why pass up the chance for a drive??

Keep me posted,
Ryan
Old 08-27-2010 | 08:28 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

If I can make it I will be there, I wont know if Im getting out of work until tomorrow morning around 7. But that sounds like a good event. I will I check in on this thread in the morning and see what everyone is doing, meeting up (either right at Newport or somewhere else and driving to Newport) .
Old 08-28-2010 | 09:23 AM
ryguy993
Racer

Hey Chris,
Any luck getting out of work? I am planning on going to the car show in newport. If you want to meet before hand let me know.

Ryan

Quick Reply: weekend meet????