Notices

RI Newport Car Meet....Cars/Coffee/Drive May 17nth 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:11 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RI Newport Car Meet....Cars/Coffee/Drive May 17nth 2009

May 17nth..... Newport is a nice destination spot so those a bit further away looking to turn this into an overnight I can almost promise you (and your significant if you choose) will have a nice time in Newport. Plenty of places to stay overnight, nice restaurants, shopping, sights and so forth. Here are a few....on the more expensive side but plenty of more economical B/B's in town. .. it maybe still "off season" at this time so rates will be less then seen on the sites and listing these as they have nice bars/restaurants inside as well as overnight accommodations but many other more reasonable places to stay overnight regards to $$$.

http://www.castlehillinn.com/
http://www.vanderbilthall.com/
http://www.thechanler.com/
http://www.hotelviking.com/

My goal here is really to pull some car enthusiast together from the southern Ma, CT and RI area....and possibly start to organize more informal get together over the summer.

Day would be more a meet, greet and drive/ramble etc....meet and greet at Fort Adams in Newport RI; Then a nice ride down Ocean Drive, through downtown, a pass through Salve Regina Campus, then over Newport Bridge with a rural jaunt through Jamestown RI and back.... some very nice roads, scenery, ocean views, mansions etc. to be seen on the ride. Will be a nice event for you as a car enthusiast and you guest if you choose to bring one.

This will never be as big as the most recent Ma event w/200+ cars (looked great hope to attend). Much smaller group no doubt. Aiming for exotic to semi exotics, any P cars, and vintage.... sports cars.

Please PM me the dates above that best work for you and if you may want to attend. Thanks..... just wanted to get a post out their early.

Details to follow....as date approaches but please mark your calenders...

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-24-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:12 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm good with May 3rd. Have a motorcycle rally in WV on the 17th.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested. '89 944 N/A. Prov. May 3rd might be tight for me but I will watch for updates.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I might be able to make it depending on when my car is ready. Preference would be May 3 since their is a concours on the 31st and I will need time to prep.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default May 17nth is the date....

May 17nth is the date.... allowing for some extra time to get cars out from Hibernation/storage/other etc,,,, I know some were hoping the 3rd but seems like the 17nth worked better from initial feedback.... still hoping some can make it...

Will get times and agenda out soon. Thinking roughly 10:30am meet, some time to catch up and then a nicely mapped out drive.....

stay tuned and thanks...
Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to join you. Will you post details here?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default yes

Yes also PM me your contact info... thanks

Originally Posted by jasvoboda
I'd like to join you. Will you post details here?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I am really looking forward to this! Hopefully some more people will join us!

Also, I am in Providence on the Johnston/North Prov. line area. Another person in the other thread said they are in NW RI, another in Johnston, East Greenwich, etc. Pretty much the majority of us would cross paths on the way to Newport. If anyone wants to put a small group together for the drive down to Newport for the meet I'd be willing to do that.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default great idea...

Good call, always more fun when you arrive as a group....much of the fun is traveling as a pack....and the trip to and from a meet can be as fun as the meet sometimes... Looking forward to it. Any please if you have any friends with nice cars buit not on RL see if they would like to attend. More details to come early next week but all please keep that date open May 17nth/sunday....

Originally Posted by ninefourfour89
Nice, I am really looking forward to this! Hopefully some more people will join us!

Also, I am in Providence on the Johnston/North Prov. line area. Another person in the other thread said they are in NW RI, another in Johnston, East Greenwich, etc. Pretty much the majority of us would cross paths on the way to Newport. If anyone wants to put a small group together for the drive down to Newport for the meet I'd be willing to do that.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:55 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Cancelled due to weather....sorry

I would still shoot down for an informal meet if enough people still want to get an informal meet together rain or shine, just PM me if you would be interested...

It’s with great regret that I need to cancel this event... The weather is just not cooperating and seems that the forecast is getting wetter and wetter as the days draw near. I have put in a lot of time, energy, effort etc. into setting this up and no one is more frustrated then me. Sorry, just have never attended a outdoor car event in the rain and enjoyed myself....this being a meet, greet and -ride- all the more need for at least decent weather...over cast would have been fine but rain/thunderstorms could cause more stress and head aches to the event and only % of the turn out that a nicer day could bring.

I will try and get a back up date out asap...... and hope all can understand my decision to cancel. (many emails and PM's suggesting the same, thanks for the input) I could have waited until Saturday night to see if the weather changed but that won't give me enough time to warn others planning to attend. If Cars and coffee up North is still going on maybe that can be an option for the day for people?

Again sorry for the news..... and hope to be back in touch soon with a new date.

PM me any questions... Thanks all

May start a new post with the update so people know, hope that is OK...

Quick Reply: RI Newport Car Meet....Cars/Coffee/Drive May 17nth 2009