Notices

Cars & Coffee 2012, Taunton MA

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Tom,

A drive and lunch is a great idea. Afshin and I have talked about a drive to the Cape for lunch on a Sunday. Ideally it would probably be around October just after the tourist season so people aren't dealing with traffic. My wife and I drove to Falmouth in October for lunch and a little shopping, and it was a great drive. The weather was fantastic, we were able to enjoy driving with the top down and some wonderful open roads with scenic views over the bridge. If there is enough interest from others that come to the C&Cs we could certainly do that.

As for driving through CT and Western RI, that might take a bit more planning and some scouting. There are certainly some nice roads in CT, but I know in the past I've hit a few bad roads there too. Someone would have to come up with a route and then drive it to check out road conditions (no one wants the surprise of spending 10 miles on grooved roads that are undergoing construction), and to check the restaurant locations and parking .

Hope to catch up with you soon.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 48 Posts

Dino,

I've made the drive from Southern RI into CT on RT 2 (at the 95 intersection) up Route 49 in CT to Route 14A to Route 169 through Pomfret to a cafe called the Vanilla Bean Cafe http://www.thevanillabeancafe.com/ - bikers and car clubs frequent the restaurant (the local 356 club just went there two weeks ago). It intersects with Route 44 which can be taken back into RI to 295 or reverse and head back to Southern RI. Route 49 is a nice old historic road, farms and nice winding sweepers.

It is an option - I have driven it a few times. I suggest you take a drive some weekend to check it out as well.

Thanks

T2
Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hey Tom,

Sounds like you already have a possible route to use and you've scouted the area out. A drive would be a lot of fun and its definitely something we can talk about at our next C&C.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

A drive is a great idea, add me to the list. Maybe we could set something up between one of the cars/coffee meets on a Saturday or Sunday morning?

As Dino mentioned, I have wanted to set up a drive but truthfully I haven't found any roads in this area that are worthy. The closest fun roads I've found are in Western Mass close to Northampton. It's a bit of a hike but worth it although the traffic can be excessive depending on the time of year.

I recently found some curvy roads in Plymouth but the road has homes on either side and its not safe to drive to far past the speed limit. I drove through Myles Standish State Forest which would be absolutely fantastic except it's bumpy and speed limits are low. There are a few nice roads which are a few miles long which you could really open up the car and they are recently paved but it's 10 minutes of driving at most.

Tom what do you think the entire route would be?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Bugeye
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to be there tomorrow!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bugeye
Planning to be there tomorrow!
Excellent, looking forward to catching up and seeing that cool 964!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:01 AM
vipprimo
Intermediate

Guess what I forgot? Maybe I'll pass through of my way to work.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hey Guys,

Thanks for coming out and making it another fun C&C today. As always it was good catching up with Afshin, Mike, Dan, Tom and Len thanks for bring that cool 964...love that interior. It was also great seeing some new cars and faces such as Adam and his beautiful 968 and Marc with the M5. There was another 964 there, I think Jill said his name was Aiden, hope to meet you at another event and thanks to our Lotus friends, Noel, Frank and Rose for adding some British flavor to our gathering. Enjoy the photos below.

Our next order of business is to put together a drive (as there have been numerous requests to do one). So far the dates suggested are 8/12 or 8/19. I don't want to clutter up the C&C posts with the drive post so please PM or email me at Rolexkosmo@aol.com and let me know which is better for you. Tom suggested making 8/12 the date of the event and 8/19 a rain date, but lets see if we get more votes for one day vs. the other. Once we have a date planned and Tom & I work out some route details we will put up a separate post about the drive. The plan is to go through RI and into CT to enjoy the back roads with some nice twisties. If you are interested, please PM or email me your email address if you don't think I have it, so that we can be sure you are on the list and that we can contact you with any changes etc.

Best regards,
Dino

Last edited by Dino944; 07-02-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
vipprimo
Intermediate

I sent and email to you. I already have a group that had intended to do a drive and have a location and are willing to work with groups like this and because they didn't have the time to put something together they decided to do it later. If we were able to get stuff together on the driving side, they could get the locale stuff together.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by vipprimo
I sent and email to you. I already have a group that had intended to do a drive and have a location and are willing to work with groups like this and because they didn't have the time to put something together they decided to do it later. If we were able to get stuff together on the driving side, they could get the locale stuff together.
Hi Allen,

I just read your email. I think your friends intent and direction is different from ours, and we already have a destination. I'll email you directly about this in the next day or so.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

A great time as always! Adams 968 is stunning, beautiful color and one of the nicest examples I've seen.

Len your 911 is very unique, I have never seen a Linen interior with red piping. Give Rick a call after 3:30 PM on any weekday, he is usually very accessible at that time. I'll send you a PM shortly with the leather products I mentioned.

Dino thank you for taking pictures and posting them. Your 328 is looking perfect as always and it's good to see it out more regularly!

The more I see of the Elise the more I like it. It is as bare bones as you can get when it comes to sports cars. More impractical than the Spyder but I imagine it has to be extremely fun.

Tom it was great to chat with you and I'll send you an email shortly, let me know if I can assist with any portion of the drive.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:47 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was great meeting you all as well! Couldn't have been a nicer day out. I'm looking forward to more meets in the future, and definitely some drives.

Thanks everyone for coming out.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Missed the coffee and cars because I was at NER's autocross at Devens.
Saw 3 lime green Cayman R and a dark 968 cabrio.
(And many other Porsches )
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Bugeye
Advanced

Yes, great turnout and a great group of people and cars. Looking forward to future events/drives. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

We were fortunate enough to not only have great weather, but great people and a great time on Sunday. Very, very nice mix of cars showing many unique characteristics. I haven't been able to make one of these lately due to our business commitments, but I am glad we got up there for this one.

The Lotus crowd was great. Rose and Tom had awesome Elises and Frank had his beautiful Esprit which I have spotted on the road when I have been out in the 944. It was nice to finally see some Elises up close and I love the bare bones construction. Reminds me of the old Lotus Europa, just prettier, faster and more advanced.

The silver turbo that showed up was awesome, as well as the M5 (love that version) and the two 964's along with Adam's 968 gave us the vintage presence (of course I am not forgetting Dino's ride that has a paint finish that's smoother than glass LoL).

The '10 Boxster S was so gorgeous in grey and I hadn't really looked at one that late of a model up close so that was a treat.

My brother Tom (he comes to the meet occasionally) had a great time, especially because of the variety in cars, and he knows now that a "race" car like the Elise is not for him, but he still is going to get Orange something...thanks Tom for letting us hop in the car as well.

Dino and Tom a drive sounds great! Keep us posted. Jill as usual, great catching up with you and talking about the detail features on the cars, and Dino always great to see you buddy.

Had a great time speaking with Adam about our 4 cylinders, and some of the other cars we've owned. 968 was looking smooth on your drive out of the lot!

Afshin, I still can't believe you have that many miles on your car with the way it looks. I'm glad you love it. I know you loved the 928s like I love my 944, but the spyder just fits you so well.

And wherever Chris is at, hope you are well. Hope to see you at the next one, we need one of your "power" cars to round out the group.

All the best until next time guys!

- Mike

Quick Reply: Cars & Coffee 2012, Taunton MA