Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m sorry this is so disheartening.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:57 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,971 Likes on 940 Posts

Not understanding “cash value” Vs “ Market value”
Either your car is insured or it isn’t.
there are dozens of companies that will provide you with a true market value report that you can use to fight the insurance company.
something isn’t adding up here.

if they are offering what you paid , then you are whole, no?
if they are offering true value you are better than whole.

Last edited by desmotesta; 05-16-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:10 PM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
there are dozens of companies that will provide you with a true market value report that you can use to fight the insurance company.

Pretty cut and dry. They aren’t offering what I paid. I paid upper $4X,XXX for the car. The insurance company offered low $3X,XXX for the car. I fight back because the used terrible comps (non S, PDK cars with 2 and 3x miles). Provided them with a myriad of comps in the realm of what and more than I paid. During this time I rack up $5,XXX in attorney expenses trying to find the owner of the carrier and trying to fight the so called insurance that we end up
finding out they don’t have. So no coverage and I am
now over $5X,XXX into this deal. My insurance comes back at low $4X,XXX for the car or keep the car and $3X,XXX. So I am trying to make up that gap.

simple math.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:12 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Noooooooooo! aqua blue !!!! nooooooo !!
Old 05-16-2024, 08:13 PM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Noooooooooo! aqua blue !!!! nooooooo !!
Bingo. Looked for 8 months to find an aqua blue manual S with good history. Here we are…….0
Old 05-16-2024, 09:14 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by b16gsr
Bingo. Looked for 8 months to find an aqua blue manual S with good history. Here we are…….0
This sux. Can you name the insurance company so we can avoid it? Best of luck.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:43 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Why wouldn't you take the money, keep the car and get it fixed? How much is it to fix it? I assume you have an estimate. Are they totaling the car?
Old 05-16-2024, 10:36 PM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by festina-lente
This sux. Can you name the insurance company so we can avoid it? Best of luck.
It’s not my insurance company at fault. The carrier should have insurance they don’t. I am not trying to raise a big flag with my insurance since this is a claim on MY insurance and I will take a hit on premiums.

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Why wouldn't you take the money, keep the car and get it fixed? How much is it to fix it? I assume you have an estimate. Are they totaling the car?
Why is it that I have to explain myself to everyone. I am just wanting to sell the car to someone who wants to have a fixed Boxster S on a deal.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by b16gsr
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1408324
Old 05-16-2024, 10:51 PM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I am not replacing the car. I have sold 2 of my others as well.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:48 PM
Muckesäckele
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta

You might want to do some homework.

Our '88 Targa was insured by USAA for is ENTIRE life. Never filed a single claim for 35 years. Our entire family has been loyal to USAA with almost all of our insurance needs. I called them three years ago just to inquire about how much ACTUAL coverage we had on the vehicle. I quickly learned that we had been WAY underinsured for this gem of a vehicle for over a decade. Our specific model is probably worth $50k, but USAA would only pay out approximately $11k if it were stolen or totalled. All they understand is that it's almost a 40 year old car, so it's almost "worthless." (I just went back to look at my notes. Turns out USAA couldn't even give me an accurate estimate on how much they'd pay if the car had been totalled or stolen on the day I called. So they expected me to just go on blind faith that they'd provide "fair" coverage. No way was I going to agree to THAT.) So I inquired about "agreed value" coverage and they simply do not offer it. Plus, they were also total jerks 15 years ago when I inquired about track day, or "driver education" coverage. Not only did they vociferously say they WOULD NOT COVER THE VEHICLE, they followed up by sending us a rather rude letter reiterating their position. Talk about regretting even asking! Kinda sounds like a company that doesn't want our business, despite being life-long loyal customers.

So we switched to Hagerty in a heartbeat and now have coverage to $60k just in case there's a boost in 911 values in the near future. Knowing we would have been HOSED by our insurance company if the car had been in a major crash or stolen was a very sobering experience. I'm so glad I looked into the situation and rectified our major coverage deficit. Oh and BTW, the premiums are almost the same as they were with USAA. Not cool. Not cool at all.

I'd suggest anyone with an older 911 consider a company that offers "agreed value" coverage so they can know what they're getting when insuring their Porsches.
The following users liked this post:
roll_the_dice (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 12:52 AM
FSWHO
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in seeing additional pictures of the damage and a walk around video of the car if possible. My email is Made2L4E@aol.com if so. I look forward to discussing the car with you.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:54 AM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Muckesäckele
You might want to do some homework.

Our '88 Targa was insured by USAA for is ENTIRE life. Never filed a single claim for 35 years. Our entire family has been loyal to USAA with almost all of our insurance needs. I called them three years ago just to inquire about how much ACTUAL coverage we had on the vehicle. I quickly learned that we had been WAY underinsured for this gem of a vehicle for over a decade. Our specific model is probably worth $50k, but USAA would only pay out approximately $11k if it were stolen or totalled. All they understand is that it's almost a 40 year old car, so it's almost "worthless." (I just went back to look at my notes. Turns out USAA couldn't even give me an accurate estimate on how much they'd pay if the car had been totalled or stolen on the day I called. So they expected me to just go on blind faith that they'd provide "fair" coverage. No way was I going to agree to THAT.) So I inquired about "agreed value" coverage and they simply do not offer it. Plus, they were also total jerks 15 years ago when I inquired about track day, or "driver education" coverage. Not only did they vociferously say they WOULD NOT COVER THE VEHICLE, they followed up by sending us a rather rude letter reiterating their position. Talk about regretting even asking! Kinda sounds like a company that doesn't want our business, despite being life-long loyal customers.

So we switched to Hagerty in a heartbeat and now have coverage to $60k just in case there's a boost in 911 values in the near future. Knowing we would have been HOSED by our insurance company if the car had been in a major crash or stolen was a very sobering experience. I'm so glad I looked into the situation and rectified our major coverage deficit. Oh and BTW, the premiums are almost the same as they were with USAA. Not cool. Not cool at all.

I'd suggest anyone with an older 911 consider a company that offers "agreed value" coverage so they can know what they're getting when insuring their Porsches.
USAA member for 26 years. The company USAA is today has nothing to do with the one you and I became customers of back in the day. Customer service has declined precipitously in the last seven years because it is all about profits, not about military families. I also moved my 911 and S2000 to Hagerty a little over a year ago. Nevertheless, Hagerty increased my premium this year, so I will probably start looking for a different agreed value policy next year.

Last edited by festina-lente; 05-17-2024 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:01 AM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FSWHO
I am very interested in seeing additional pictures of the damage and a walk around video of the car if possible. My email is Made2L4E@aol.com if so. I look forward to discussing the car with you.
Sent you an email