Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Took Macan in for service, received Cayenne loaner..Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 PM
bjsbuds
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took Macan in for service, received Cayenne loaner..Remorse?

So, my journey began early December, when after reading great reviews about the Cayenne, I went into my local dealership to check them out.

While there, I saw the Macan. I didn't even know a Macan existed. Went home and immediately began researching everything I could about the Macan. Around the holidays I test drove a Macan GTS. Hooked!!!

Fast forward to July; I am the proud new owner of a Macan GTS. I purchased the GTS from a dealership in Atlanta and drove it back home to Ohio.

Discovered that the factory installed brushed aluminum in black (I ordered) everywhere except the dash, where they installed gloss black. Anyway, I took the GTS in to have the trim replaced today, only to learn that they didn't have the trim available. Oh well, stuff happens. I am sure it will eventually get corrected. So, the dealership gave me a Cayenne for a loaner.

I immediately thought, oh no, I am going to have buyer's remorse once I get to drive a Cayenne for the day. While the seats were comfortable, everything else was just too big and too high for me.

What a pleasure to get back in my Macan GTS to drive home, and to NOT feel any buyer's remorse.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:30 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Ha ha .. I like how you built up your story and the ending. Enjoy, they're both great cars that serve different purposes.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

I recall driving a Cayenne loaner a few years ago. My summary was "This must be the best indulgently gigantic luxury SUV you can buy." Nothing I wanted, though. I later realized that I wanted the best indulgently luxurious "sporty" SUV in a smaller size, especially if it had PDK.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM
irv09
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I traded my Cayenne TT for a Macan GTS and I have to say that I do not miss the TT. I am not a big fan of the traffic and weather info with the current Nav but the daily drive with the Macan is awesome.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

We received a Cayenne as a loaner for our Macan GTS's first annual service. We don't regret our choice at all.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I continue to be surprised by how much I enjoy driving our Macan.

Yeah, da Peppah, is a great truck, but the Macan is a great car. It's essentially a thoughtfully-designed hot hatch that had an over-achieving pituitary glad during gestation.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am currently looking at trading in my '12 Cayenne S for a CPO'd Macan S or Turbo....nice to hear there are no regrets to be found going from one to the other!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 AM
CdnCarNut
6th Gear

Good to hear that you chose the right car. IMHO, the Cayenne is just big, while the Macan is nimble.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I continue to be surprised by how much I enjoy driving our Macan.

Yeah, da Peppah, is a great truck, but the Macan is a great car. It's essentially a thoughtfully-designed hot hatch that had an over-achieving pituitary glad during gestation.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
I am currently looking at trading in my '12 Cayenne S for a CPO'd Macan S or Turbo....nice to hear there are no regrets to be found going from one to the other!
Traded in my 11' Cayenne S for our Macan S - no regrets whatsoever. If you go for the '17 model, the new PCM is a nice improvement
Old 08-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Enilder
Instructor

I got a loaded base model Cayenne w/ just about every single option ticked. I had a blast with PSE since I don't have one.

It got me into getting AWE exhaust system though, which I am happy with.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Enilder
I got a loaded base model Cayenne w/ just about every single option ticked. I had a blast with PSE since I don't have one.

It got me into getting AWE exhaust system though, which I am happy with.
PSE? AWE?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adk46
PSE? AWE?
PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust

AWE = AWE exhaust system...it's an aftermarket exhaust system
Old 08-25-2017, 10:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Both very different vehicles and you are comparing a base C to a GTS M? Very different and not a GTS or turbo. Base isn't worth buying IMO.

I have owned an 04 CTT since new and had a stunning 14 CGTS. Both very different and both fantastic. When we purchased the CGTS we checked out the Macan S and it just didn't do it for us. Mostly the size was too small. We needed or so we thought a 4-5 passenger vehicle and I can't fit in the back of the Macan and my son and his friends were all growing up quickly.

Ironically we never once used the GTS to hall more than 3 people and rarely need it for that purpose. If push comes to shove the F-150 will seat 5 more than comfortably.

Well as much as I loved the CGTS it was traded for a Boxster GTS and the 04 has been doing a fine job but now it is time for a change. Being mostly my wife and myself we are taking the plunge on a Macan GTS and as much as the Cayenne's will be missed I don't think we will be disappointed. I have no doubt we will find that there will be days the Macan will be too small to transport all the junk we need to support some of the PCA events we help run but we all can have much bigger problems. Enjoy the GTS I am looking forward to the change myself.

It is amazing how we went from loathing the idea of Porsche making something like the Cayenne. Now we embrace the Cayenne, Panamera and the Macan.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Oh Jeez.

Another 928 guy.

Quick Reply: Took Macan in for service, received Cayenne loaner..Remorse?