Macan 2014-Current

Macan GTS 2017, Volcano Grey

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Did I miss it or did I read GT3 with winter tires? WTF.

Anyway the Macan does not have a PDK. It has a VWDK. That's dual clutch supplied by VW. Look at you shift **** and the letters PDK are not there. I swear they were there when I bought the car but then just vanished.
Yes, the GT3 gets winter wheels and tires. Have to drive it on those rare sunny and dry winter days here in the northern USA.

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Originally Posted by dgjks6
Anyway the Macan does not have a PDK.
With respect, I believe you are incorrect. Porsche USA's website states that the dual clutch in the Macan is, in fact, the PDK.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ma...an-gts-models/
I always assumed that it is PDK too, but just got off the phone with the SA, and though I didn't press him about it, he alluded to the fact that it wasn't exactly a PDK. I'll ask him more next week when I take it in for the service, though he kept saying that he didn't know much about the Macan (doesn't know much about my GT3 either). He also mentioned that it will upshift on its own in manual mode if the transmission feels threatened (like at redline), but my three occurrences were very far away from a threatening acceleration or redlining, so that it wouldn't be applicable to this.

Coming from a very long history of manual transmission driving, SMG (in the E60 M5), and the GT3 PDK, the creep at stop and not fully disengaged transmission is very annoying. Feels like an automatic.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
.... though he kept saying that he didn't know much about the Macan (doesn't know much about my GT3 either). mad:
1. I think this is all you need to know. Your SA doesn't know what he/she is talking about and probably confusing the PDK in the Macan for the ZF 8 speed in the Cayenne.

Unless Porsche is going out of its way to mislead customers, the tranny in the Macan is the PDK and not the DSG gearbox used in VW and Audi products. The programming in the PDK in your Macan is very different from the programming of the PDK you have in your GT3 but what you're describing in your experiences in your Macan isn't correct. Moreover, based on my experiences driving 991.1 PDK's and Macan S with PDK, the idea that the PDK in the Macan will upshift if it feels "threatened" is BS. Once these vehicles are up to operating temp, the PDK will bounce off the rev limiter. It won't let you over-rev (money shift) but it shouldn't be upshifting on its own... especially in manual model.

2. Kudos to you for driving your GT3 year round. I live in Sunny So Cal and don't take my GT4 out of the garage in inclement weather. We've had a lot of rain this winter (well, a lot for us) and the Michelins on my GT4 are HORRIBLE in the cold and wet... so the GT4 stays parked.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 PM
1pvr
Racer

Winter rubber is a must, otherwise the summer tires would be hard as rocks, and with useless tread. Besides, a little sliding on snow covered roads is mighty fun.

Yeah, no reason for a PDK ever to upshift on its own when in manual mode. At redline it should just bounce off the limiter waiting for the shift input from the driver. The GT3 spools up so fast that it's easy to bounce off the redline. I wonder if the manual 991.2 GT3 won't somehow have a limiter.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Love your interior, the wife went more sedate on ours, I'll try to post some pics on my thread tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 PM
1pvr
Racer

Thanks. The carbon fiber looks great. Adds depth to the dash too. Overall, a sporty interior for the sporting version of the Macan.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
Signature Wheel
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulation on picking up your Macan GTS, the Volcano Grey is superb choice and one of my personal favorites. In the event you are looking to pick up a new set of wheels for street or track use, take a look at our product thread here. It would be a pleasure to work with you and have a set of our wheels featured on your car

Last edited by Signature Wheel; 08-09-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

All VW-Group dual-clutch transmissions (including whatever Porsche labels "PDK") are probably designed and manufactured by ZF. A somewhat dated Wikipedia article gives some details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-c....28VW_GROUP.29

I imagine ZF also provides the software that developers call an API - application programming interface - the basic software code that interfaces with the valves and other gizmos of the hardware. The API is necessary to program a custom control system and integrate it with the larger control system of an entire car. Whether Porsche employees do that programming or some other software development group within larger VW, that is where the true genius of PDK comes from - the way it is controlled.

In any case, I think we can be confident that Porsche engineers are directly involved in the design intent and specifications, and ensuring that the overall result is different than what Honda would aim for.

Regarding the "creeping" issue - drivers are so accustomed to this that car companies are more or less forced to program this legacy behavior into cars without torque converters; there are many cars like this, electric, hybrid and dual-clutch. I believe it can be turned off in Teslas. I didn't know the GT3's PDK was different - cool. I need to ask my wife about the single-clutch automatic in her SmartCar.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 PM
charles06
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

In regard to the mirror tilt, try putting the vehicle in reverse, then adjusting the mirror to where you want it. On many cars, you can set the mirror to the desired amount of adjustment it makes when put into reverse. Even my 2005 Hummer H2 allowed this. It may be that the function is actually working, but the previous owner either never adjusted, or didn't want it to adjust much.

Just a suggestion that might save you a trip to the dealer...
Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by charles06
In regard to the mirror tilt, try putting the vehicle in reverse, then adjusting the mirror to where you want it. On many cars, you can set the mirror to the desired amount of adjustment it makes when put into reverse. Even my 2005 Hummer H2 allowed this. It may be that the function is actually working, but the previous owner either never adjusted, or didn't want it to adjust much.

Just a suggestion that might save you a trip to the dealer...
And when you do that, I found that you have to adjust the passenger mirror all the way in, using the left control to swivel it in toward the side window, then move it down to where you can see the side of the vehicle and the ground, which you want to see on the passenger side when backing up. Failure to move the mirror all the way in toward the window at first, will prevent you from being able to angle it down. Otherwise you only get a small amount of movement like you've experienced.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:10 PM
1pvr
Racer

^ & ^^

Thanks for the suggestions. Got the car new, so no previous owner. Ironically, just brought it in this morning and had it fixed. Don't know what they did. If it happens again, I'll give your ideas a go.

Regarding the upshift thing, the tech who worked on the Macan (who also works on my GT3...the Master Tech), said that the PDK will do that as it's learning driving habits. Still, I find it annoying that in manual mode the PDK will automatically shift for me. Hasn't done it since a couple of weeks before I started this thread, so hopefully never again.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 PM
modkrazy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice spec, definitely a sport-focused build. Love the carbon fiber and alcantara contrast stitching.

Summer tires and a COBB flash for that torque boost should solve your off-the-line woes.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM
1pvr
Racer

Originally Posted by modkrazy
Very nice spec, definitely a sport-focused build. Love the carbon fiber and alcantara contrast stitching.

Summer tires and a COBB flash for that torque boost should solve your off-the-line woes.
Thanks. Not the soccer mom build, to be sure.

Definitely going to go the summer and winter tire route. Not a fan of the "jack of all, master of none" mentality.

Does the flash affect warranty?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:37 PM
modkrazy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Not the soccer mom build, to be sure.

Definitely going to go the summer and winter tire route. Not a fan of the "jack of all, master of none" mentality.

Does the flash affect warranty?
I mean...it doesn't modify any variables that would set off alarms at the dealership, like increasing rev limits or removing speed limiters. Technically if your engine explodes, they could potentially do a real deep forensic dig of the ECU to find the flash counter and see that something was once changed, and potentially cite that as a cause for concern, but at the end of the day the flash is removable with hardly a trace, and there are many users of Cobb tunes that have no problems with warranty claims.

Granted, I'm new to the Porsche world, but I've tuned and modded all my BMWs (far far more aggressively than anything Cobb does to the Macan), and never had any issues with any dealerships in Texas. Also I've always been super active in the modder community, and the only instance I know of someone getting denied warranty coverage over a flash is a guy who was being super aggressive with his tunes (race gas, meth, etc) and BMW NA finally said no when he spun his crankhub for the third time (they fixed it the first two times no questions asked).

I've ridden in a Cobb-flash Macan GTS, that extra 70-100lbs of torque really gives it that extra zip off the line. That brief test drive is what finally pushed me over to getting a "practical" SUV-like car rather than my original plan to get another M4. I still wish they made man-sized 911s so I could get the "real" Porsche experience.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by modkrazy
I mean...it doesn't modify any variables that would set off alarms at the dealership, like increasing rev limits or removing speed limiters. Technically if your engine explodes, they could potentially do a real deep forensic dig of the ECU to find the flash counter and see that something was once changed, and potentially cite that as a cause for concern, but at the end of the day the flash is removable with hardly a trace, and there are many users of Cobb tunes that have no problems with warranty claims.

Granted, I'm new to the Porsche world, but I've tuned and modded all my BMWs (far far more aggressively than anything Cobb does to the Macan), and never had any issues with any dealerships in Texas. Also I've always been super active in the modder community, and the only instance I know of someone getting denied warranty coverage over a flash is a guy who was being super aggressive with his tunes (race gas, meth, etc) and BMW NA finally said no when he spun his crankhub for the third time (they fixed it the first two times no questions asked).

I've ridden in a Cobb-flash Macan GTS, that extra 70-100lbs of torque really gives it that extra zip off the line. That brief test drive is what finally pushed me over to getting a "practical" SUV-like car rather than my original plan to get another M4. I still wish they made man-sized 911s so I could get the "real" Porsche experience.

You sir are the reason I was compelled to buy a new Macan Base instead of a comparably priced used S or Turbo!!!

LOL
Old 09-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Coming from a very long history of manual transmission driving, SMG (in the E60 M5), and the GT3 PDK, the creep at stop and not fully disengaged transmission is very annoying. Feels like an automatic.
If you press hard on the brake pedal, the brakes will hold the car. "Hold" appears in the dash area. Throttle tip-in releases the brakes smoothly and naturally.

Quick Reply: Macan GTS 2017, Volcano Grey