Macan 2014-Current

MY17 PCM Memory Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default MY17 PCM Memory Issues

Any new settings that we select including storing radio stations in preset memory, changes made to sound settings, assigning telephones to Apple Car Play, ETC, are erased every time we turn off the ignition and lock the doors. The issue started happening a week or two ago.

I tired resting the PCM on my own, deleting and re-adding the phones via Bluetooth, ETC. No luck. Same issue.

Specs: MY17 Macan S; Bose, Navigation, Porsche Connect Plus

Any advice before we head to the dealership for a reset via OBDII or the like?

Last edited by Philip Goughary; 10-10-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I think there's a setting in the MFD to store your current preferences with the key memory each time the car is locked/unlocked. You might have turned that off. I don't have a '17 model, so things have probably changed some, but you might go to the Vehicle display and click Settings -> Locking, and see what boxes are checked.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Auto memory is selected. Perhaps there is a way to wipe out the memory associated with that key? I will check our second key which is programmed to my settings and see what comes up on the PCM. Will revert with that info.

Update: I tried the second key. The issue seems unrelated. All comfort settings including the gauge cluster screen preferences remain associated with each key. Just the functions related to the radio reset.

Originally Posted by cviles
I think there's a setting in the MFD to store your current preferences with the key memory each time the car is locked/unlocked. You might have turned that off. I don't have a '17 model, so things have probably changed some, but you might go to the Vehicle display and click Settings -> Locking, and see what boxes are checked.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:01 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Well, you got me stumped. There's probably a worm of logic that makes sense to a German engineer somewhere to explain it, but it's beyond me. The MFD selection should apply everything. In the '15s PCM there's a Settings option under the CAR button that maybe overrides the MFD, but I don't know how the '17s work. Do the new head units even have a CAR button?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

There is a CAR button but no options in there seem to resolve the issue either. Thank you for the suggestions! Might have to bring it in.
Originally Posted by cviles
Well, you got me stumped. There's probably a worm of logic that makes sense to a German engineer somewhere to explain it, but it's beyond me. The MFD selection should apply everything. In the '15s PCM there's a Settings option under the CAR button that maybe overrides the MFD, but I don't know how the '17s work. Do the new head units even have a CAR button?
Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM
exthree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Turn off the Auto-Memory in the PCM, then reset your preferences to your seat(s) and/or key(s). With Auto-Memory "on" the settings are recalled from the previous drive when the Macan is restarted.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Do you think that this might reset the system somehow? I'l give it a try tonight. I know what having auto memory turned on does - the issue is that any changes to settings are not being saved (including remembering not to ask about a Phone being approved for CarPlay connection, ETC).

Originally Posted by exthree
Turn off the Auto-Memory in the PCM, then reset your preferences to your seat(s) and/or key(s). With Auto-Memory "on" the settings are recalled from the previous drive when the Macan is restarted.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

I had to bring our other vehicle up to a Porsche dealership for service today, so I took the opportunity to ask about the issues we're having with PCM 4 in our MY17 Macan S. The techs informed me that a software update is imminent that is supposed to address many issues, perhaps including the one that we've been experiencing. It should be available sometime this month.

In the meantime, the issues have been getting worse. I've completely reset the PCM to factory settings, wiped out the keys and the display, disabled auto memory for locking... ..nothing solves the issue and now our XM connection has been reset and won't stay active after turning off the ignition and locking the car. So frustrating! My wife is less than happy hearing me ask her to wait for the software update to be available before we bother bringing the car in.

What's interesting to me is which settings reset and which do not. The sound settings stay, as well as all of the comfort settings including memory seats, A/C, mirrors, Bluetooth, gauge display settings, etc. The stored channels, Sirius XM connection, home screen, and Apple Car Play terms of use acceptance all reset to factory (blank) every time the car is turned off and the car defaults to Bluetooth audio connection. It's bizarre.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:38 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Electronic gremlins are the worst things to try and track down. I'm sorry you're bedeviled with them.

I'm trying to resolve an issue with the Homelink in my '15. After 3-4 months, the button for my garage door just stops working. My front gate works like a charm and has since the day I brought the car home, but the garage button needs to be reprogrammed every few months. On Thursday, the dealer is going to replace the control module and hope that fixes it because swapping out the overhead panel did nothing. Other than that and a quirk with the PDK shifting from 1st to 2nd, everything has just worked.

There have been campaigns carried out by my dealer to fix things I never noticed, but nothing aggravating like your problem. Here's to hoping the software update does the magic trick you need.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

My local dealership confirms that the PCM 4.0 software update is a available and I have an appointment for the installation early next week.

Hopefully this will resolve most if not all of the issues 2017 Macan owners have been dealing with with our PCM.

Quick Reply: MY17 PCM Memory Issues