Macan 2014-Current

Clear Bra Macan GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 AM
oslermarine
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear Bra Macan GTS

Hi guys, I have a Macan GTS on order in white. This is my first Macan and I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of the car when it was first released. 3 weekends ago I test drove a Macan GTS on a dealer's lot and I was blown away by it. The handling is amazing! I've browsed around the forums trying to get an answer on this topic. It seems that the hood needs to be custom cut or else it won't fit. The other option is to get a partial hood but I hate the partial film line and on white it will show a black line from dust gathering on it. My questions are:

1. Is it even necessary to clear bra a Macan since it rides higher? I live in Eastern PA.

2. Will it be enough to just cover the lower bumper, side skirts, and wheel wells?

3. Owners who didn't clear bra, where if any are your chips located?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:44 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

In my experience, if you go clear bra, spend the extra money and get the entire hood covered (custom cut from one big sheet) in addition to whatever else you are going to cover - don't do the half hood!

I'm over clear bra as the longer you own the vehicle, the more it changes. It can yellow, lift, get gray edges, etc. Plus if you remove it, it could (unlikely as it is) life paint. I've had it on on my GT, and a new install currently on F-car, and I won't do it again next time. For the price I'm paying for top-quality customer work, I could just get the bumper re-sprayed.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:35 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by oslermarine
Hi guys, I have a Macan GTS on order in white. This is my first Macan and I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of the car when it was first released. 3 weekends ago I test drove a Macan GTS on a dealer's lot and I was blown away by it. The handling is amazing! I've browsed around the forums trying to get an answer on this topic. It seems that the hood needs to be custom cut or else it won't fit. The other option is to get a partial hood but I hate the partial film line and on white it will show a black line from dust gathering on it. My questions are:

1. Is it even necessary to clear bra a Macan since it rides higher? I live in Eastern PA.

2. Will it be enough to just cover the lower bumper, side skirts, and wheel wells?

3. Owners who didn't clear bra, where if any are your chips located?

Thanks!
Hello,

I've attached the available kits for the vehicle, it's possible to do the hood, although it will have a small seam near the back, as the hood is too big (for any PPF) to cover with one sheet.

We do full hoods for our Porsche store here in San Antonio, as most agree they don't want the partial line gathering dust over time. The Macan does ride higher but the front of the hood is so susceptible to damage as the slope of the hood attracts rock chips. Although, if you don't go with a full hood, a line gathering dust, until you wipe it off, is better than rock chips in the finish.

http://www.xpel.com/search-coverage-...che/Macan/GTS/

Originally Posted by danpic
In my experience, if you go clear bra, spend the extra money and get the entire hood covered (custom cut from one big sheet) in addition to whatever else you are going to cover - don't do the half hood!

I'm over clear bra as the longer you own the vehicle, the more it changes. It can yellow, lift, get gray edges, etc. Plus if you remove it, it could (unlikely as it is) life paint. I've had it on on my GT, and a new install currently on F-car, and I won't do it again next time. For the price I'm paying for top-quality customer work, I could just get the bumper re-sprayed.
If the film (XPEL ULTIMATE) does lift, peel, crack, delaminate, etc it's covered under our 10-year warranty, which includes film and labor for the installer. Regarding the film removal, if the paint is the factory OEM paint, it should not remove any paint if removed properly.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:08 AM
RJ968
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking partial hood until I looked at the bug splatter on the hood after the 'delivery trip' from Hickory NC to San Antonio. The hood has quite a slant. XPEL in SA did the whole front, an excellent job as usual.
They did my 911 four years ago and over the years replaced the hood after some rock damage (didn't hurt the paint) and this year the bumper cover for the same type rock damage. Covered under warranty, no charge. I've seen other brands of film yellow, but I've never had that problem with XPEL.

RJ
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM
ctdwp
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ968
I was thinking partial hood until I looked at the bug splatter on the hood after the 'delivery trip' from Hickory NC to San Antonio. The hood has quite a slant. XPEL in SA did the whole front, an excellent job as usual.
They did my 911 four years ago and over the years replaced the hood after some rock damage (didn't hurt the paint) and this year the bumper cover for the same type rock damage. Covered under warranty, no charge. I've seen other brands of film yellow, but I've never had that problem with XPEL.

RJ
That is great service if they replaced it for rock damage. I wonder if that is part of the XPEL warranty? I got rock damage on my Macan XPEL a month later and it's very visible...my installer quoted me to replace it...no mention of it being covered. I also had rock damage on my previous Cayenne XPEL so I have been wondering if I should have gone with something else on my Macan since I have not had good look with XPEL and rocks...not sure if another product is harder.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:48 PM
RJ968
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdwp
That is great service if they replaced it for rock damage. I wonder if that is part of the XPEL warranty? I got rock damage on my Macan XPEL a month later and it's very visible...my installer quoted me to replace it...no mention of it being covered. I also had rock damage on my previous Cayenne XPEL so I have been wondering if I should have gone with something else on my Macan since I have not had good look with XPEL and rocks...not sure if another product is harder.
You should have gotten a written warranty. I never read it, but they covered the replacement without any question. Of course I'm dealing with XPEL's HQ here in San Antonio. I realize other shops are authorized to install their products, they may not be so quick to offer free replacement work. See what your warranty says.

RJ

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Macan GTS