Macan 2014-Current

Picked up my Macan GTS on Friday - Some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Joe Twelve Pack
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my Macan GTS on Friday - Some thoughts

Just got back to Houston from a trip to San Antonio (Grandkids!).

Driving impressions:
Awesome, in a word. I opted for the 21" wheels. I drove both 21 and 20 and didn't see much difference. This road trip confirmed that the ride was, while not as smooth as the A7 I traded in, was nice, quiet even. I have no complaints in the ride department.

The transmission was the smoothest I've ever been exposed to.

While I obeyed all speed limits (Cough, cough), the car wants to go 85. Honest, officer!

Design impressions:
There is one thing that bothered both my wife and I: The sun visors are totally inadequate for the car. Porsche needs to add a slide out or allow the visor to slide on the rod that holds it.

Seats are comfortable. My wife misses the A7's massage feature, but I did not. In fact, on arrival home, my back felt better than after the same trip in the A7.

I wish the car had more of a presence on the road, like the 911 or the Panamera or even the Cayman I had several years ago. But thats just my 2 cents.

I'll post some pics later, after i clean all the bugs off the front and windshield1

Ole Joe
Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 AM
Choppen
Rennlist Member

Default Visors

I agree the Macan visors are useless (lots of need for them in AZ). I hope these are improved in future models, or at least issue a baseball cap with the car. I've had my s for 1.5 years (23000 miles), and visors and a minor trans problem are my only negatives. Other than those the car has been a treat to own.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

After owning my wife's Q7, which have visors that are 100% useless for taller drivers, I now check every car I buy, to make sure the visors are effective. The visors on our Q7 have two positions. Fully on the windshield and offering zero protection or straight down cutting off half of the front windshield so you can't even drive. I wanted to immediately sell it, but my shorter wife didn't mind it, so we still own it. I don't drive it. It drives me nucking futs.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Propofoln
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Twelve Pack
Just got back to Houston from a trip to San Antonio (Grandkids!).

Driving impressions:
Awesome, in a word. I opted for the 21" wheels. I drove both 21 and 20 and didn't see much difference. This road trip confirmed that the ride was, while not as smooth as the A7 I traded in, was nice, quiet even. I have no complaints in the ride department.

The transmission was the smoothest I've ever been exposed to.

While I obeyed all speed limits (Cough, cough), the car wants to go 85. Honest, officer!

Design impressions:
There is one thing that bothered both my wife and I: The sun visors are totally inadequate for the car. Porsche needs to add a slide out or allow the visor to slide on the rod that holds it.

Seats are comfortable. My wife misses the A7's massage feature, but I did not. In fact, on arrival home, my back felt better than after the same trip in the A7.

I wish the car had more of a presence on the road, like the 911 or the Panamera or even the Cayman I had several years ago. But thats just my 2 cents.

I'll post some pics later, after i clean all the bugs off the front and windshield1

Ole Joe
Joe- what do you mean by "more road presence"? I love my Macan Turbo so far.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Joe Twelve Pack
2nd Gear

the 911 and Panamera are "recognizable" The Macan, while still cool looking, is hampered by the vehicle type. All small SUV's tend to have the same features. That's what I meant by 'road presence'.

Ole Joe
Old 09-17-2016, 03:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 317 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Twelve Pack
the 911 and Panamera are "recognizable" The Macan, while still cool looking, is hampered by the vehicle type. All small SUV's tend to have the same features. That's what I meant by 'road presence'.

Ole Joe
Get your wife to follow you in the Audi. The Macan in your mirror will have more presence than you expect!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 584 Posts

Hey - congratulations! I agree that the Macan in general has a few shortcomings but over all it has a ton of plus points both on how it looks and drives.

Road presence? Check out coming up fast behind someone and watch them move out of the way. I believe the front end is nice and menacing!

For audio make sure to drop some tunes onto a USB drive and transfer them to the Jukebox. The sound is 10X better.

And yes, I sorry to press you, but no pics = no car. We are a HIGHLY suspicious group and you could be making all this stuff up! Cough 'em up!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:39 PM
wr911
Rennlist Member

I think the Macan needs minimum of 20" wheels and even better 21"s. Road presence is pretty good, with 18"s not so much

Old 09-22-2016, 09:26 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

if "presence" means visible attention and conversation, the Macan has more presence (primarily with women) than my GT cars. the girls all want one of their own!
Old 10-03-2016, 02:20 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

"presence'' is not always a virtue; sometimes it is a curse; it depends on what kind of car you are driving. I have learned to be extra-careful to drive my GT cars (RS or Non-RS), because occasionally a bunch of lowlifes (men as well a women) driving SUVs, Camrys, etc. trying to pass you and cut you off. Another undesireable example of "presence" for me was that my CAYENNE TURBO was keyed in a in a shopping center in a respectable and low crime area of St Louis

Quick Reply: Picked up my Macan GTS on Friday - Some thoughts